LFT Q&A

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Planning to play FT09 Alpine Bolt

Conditions: "EC are falling Snow with a Mild Breeze blowing from the North East and are in effect for all the part".

So what part is this refering to? the wind, the falling snow or both?

Does anyone know?

/Morgan
Morgan,

According to the updated scenario card (which will be released I don't know when), SSR1 says : "EC are Wet with a Mild Breeze from northeast at start. Ground Snow (E3.72) and Falling Snow (E3.71) are in effect. There is no Wind Change DR for the duration of the game. Kindling is NA."

Enjoy the game :)

morgan kane

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Laurent

Thanks for the update.

Took a further look at the scenario yesterday. "The Stream banks are at the same level as the other terrain in the hex".

Not sure I get that, does it mean that the whole stream hex is at -1? The Stream I assume is the overlay + the printed gully on board 24.

/Morgan

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Took a further look at the scenario yesterday. "The Stream banks are at the same level as the other terrain in the hex".

Not sure I get that, does it mean that the whole stream hex is at -1? The Stream I assume is the overlay + the printed gully on board 24.

/Morgan
It needs some clarifications indeed (included in the updated version). The stream overlay is level 0 terrain (like any "green" hex) and any unit IN the stream (dry) is at level -1.
Tu summarize, there are two hills on board 9 separated by the stream overlay.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
I know you can't possibly fit every little chart and table into the second version of the Rat Charts, but is there any way to squeeze on the Kindling/Spreading Fire table with the modifiers?

I've had zero complaints with the inclusiveness of the first version beyond this small detail. I've got most of this table memorized...but not quite all of it!

Looking forward to it!

morgan kane

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Finished the scenario Alpine Bolt FT09 yesterday evening. Great scenario.
Well if you enjoy attacking with those lousy italian 346 squads that is...
Due to the victory conditions and the terrain, this is a real challenge, Should the italians go for the village on board 24 or for the exit VP?
Where shall the outnumbered French make a stand?

This was a close race with the italians somewhat lucky with some bad french shooting in the end turn, making it an italian victory. Gave it a 7 on ROAR.

/Morgan

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Finished the scenario Alpine Bolt FT09 yesterday evening. Great scenario.
Well if you enjoy attacking with those lousy italian 346 squads that is...
Due to the victory conditions and the terrain, this is a real challenge, Should the italians go for the village on board 24 or for the exit VP?
Where shall the outnumbered French make a stand?

This was a close race with the italians somewhat lucky with some bad french shooting in the end turn, making it an italian victory. Gave it a 7 on ROAR.

/Morgan
Thanks Morgan :)

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Again, probably both...
While I can understand the space limitations in FTC 3, I would ask that the Panhard 178 AC be included in German Blue in some future product. FTC 3 had it in SS Black, but they were used also by Heer and Polizei units as well as by the SS (and I marginally prefer to use the Blue SS). That would round out the French origin Boote vehicles.

What new vehicles would I like to see in both Black and Blue (small numbers, 3?)?
Austrian ADGZ
Italian L3/35
Italian L6/40
Italian M41/41
Italian AB 41
Italian SM 47/32
Though mainly used for rear area security, they were used in moderate numbers, especially after Italy's surrender. Again that would round out the Italian origin Boote vehicles.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While I can understand the space limitations in FTC 3, I would ask that the Panhard 178 AC be included in German Blue in some future product. FTC 3 had it in SS Black, but they were used also by Heer and Polizei units as well as by the SS (and I marginally prefer to use the Blue SS). That would round out the French origin Boote vehicles.

What new vehicles would I like to see in both Black and Blue (small numbers, 3?)?
Austrian ADGZ
Italian L3/35
Italian L6/40
Italian M41/41
Italian AB 41
Italian SM 47/32
Though mainly used for rear area security, they were used in moderate numbers, especially after Italy's surrender. Again that would round out the Italian origin Boote vehicles.
I was thinking the Yugoslavian region for the vehicles Paul

The vehicles that the SS just gave to whatever units they tried to stand up to fight the Partisans in the Macedonian region.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I was thinking the Yugoslavian region for the vehicles Paul

The vehicles that the SS just gave to whatever units they tried to stand up to fight the Partisans in the Macedonian region.
I agree that a lot of ex-Italian kit would have been used in Yugoslavia, the Croats also got some from the Germans (see AoO vehicle notes). They were also used in Italy, post Italian surrender. At least 1 M13/40 or M14/41 (more likely) was used by the Germans against the '44 Warsaw Rising. I have memories of L3/35 with German troops from photographs (or at least they looked like German troops).

In the "Da Paul Challenge" thread there is a photo of what I am fairly sure are German troops using a handful of AB 41, they must have been fairly regularised as the nearest vehicle has a German star tipped style antenna which was peculiar to some of the German longer ranged higher command link radios. In the same thread there was a photo of an ex-Polish TKS manned by Luftwaffe (air base security most likely) armed with what looked like a MG 15 (an aircraft flexible MG which, though not belt fed, was roughly equivalent to the MG 34).

The ex-French (initially) and ex-Italian (later) stuff along with older German kit like the SdKfz 221 were the commonest issue to Heer and Polizei security units. Rear area rail security armoured trains sometimes had a pair of wagons each loaded with either a Somua S-35 or a Pz 38(t) for off rail pursuit of partisans.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree that a lot of ex-Italian kit would have been used in Yugoslavia, the Croats also got some from the Germans (see AoO vehicle notes). They were also used in Italy, post Italian surrender. At least 1 M13/40 or M14/41 (more likely) was used by the Germans against the '44 Warsaw Rising. I have memories of L3/35 with German troops from photographs (or at least they looked like German troops).

In the "Da Paul Challenge" thread there is a photo of what I am fairly sure are German troops using a handful of AB 41, they must have been fairly regularised as the nearest vehicle has a German star tipped style antenna which was peculiar to some of the German longer ranged higher command link radios. In the same thread there was a photo of an ex-Polish TKS manned by Luftwaffe (air base security most likely) armed with what looked like a MG 15 (an aircraft flexible MG which, though not belt fed, was roughly equivalent to the MG 34).

The ex-French (initially) and ex-Italian (later) stuff along with older German kit like the SdKfz 221 were the commonest issue to Heer and Polizei security units. Rear area rail security armoured trains sometimes had a pair of wagons each loaded with either a Somua S-35 or a Pz 38(t) for off rail pursuit of partisans.
Agree with everything you say.

The MG-15 began to be pulled from the Luftwaffe airplane in early 1942, when the German's realized they need a "stronger" machine gun (larger than a 7.92) to protect their bombers. So the German war machine began to issue this weapon to newly raised German "Static and Luftwaffe" Divisions, and to Security Units to keep the MG34s and MG42s for the SS and the regular German Army formations.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
I could not help but notice that some errata has disappeared from the LFT website, specifically that for the LFT 7 and LFT 10 magazines. Maybe more, but that is what I know for sure was once there.

?????

benj

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I could not help but notice that some errata has disappeared from the LFT website, specifically that for the LFT 7 and LFT 10 magazines. Maybe more, but that is what I know for sure was once there.
You're right, some publication were "unpublished" from the website (OOP LFT issues), which made the errata disappear. Fixed, thanks for the bugreport!

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Agree with everything you say.

The MG-15 began to be pulled from the Luftwaffe airplane in early 1942, when the German's realized they need a "stronger" machine gun (larger than a 7.92) to protect their bombers. So the German war machine began to issue this weapon to newly raised German "Static and Luftwaffe" Divisions, and to Security Units to keep the MG34s and MG42s for the SS and the regular German Army formations.
interesting, is there an ASL counter for the MG-15 anywhere?

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
interesting, is there an ASL counter for the MG-15 anywhere?
I would suggest using either the German 2-6(f) that came in PB (I think it was PB) or use a Hungarian 2-7. While having a good cyclic rate, up there with the MG 34 or MG 42, it used 75 round saddle drum magazines rather than a belt. As far as I know (so don't quote me on that) the barrel could not be changed quickly. Overall I feel that it was not as capable of sustained fire as the MG 34/42, closer to a DP-28 or Lewis, so I rate the FP as 2. It's high cyclic rate for short bursts means I judge it having a bit more 'reach', so I would be more inclined to a range of 7 rather than 6. The B11 for both is another matter. LW troops would have been above average in technical ability but at least for the first year were regarded as poor and skittish, so fumbling might be an issue.

Overall a Hungarian 2-7 would be best, you can always SSR the B# to be B12, depending upon how you read an action.

The whole FP and range for MGs is so arbitrary and fuzzy that the best I can do is give a personal judgement rather than the more solid values I could give for an AFV.