The Last Samurai

What are your thoughts on the film "The Last Samurai"?

• Great film......recommend it

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • It sucked.......

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Other opinions

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Janos
\
That crusty old 20th Maine git made it through Gettysburg and Gods and Generals -- I guess they're saving a bullet for him at Cold Harbor!

JS
Yeah well the Sgt-Maj in Glory didnt get it, cuz he didnt go on the field... Smart Irishman that man.

I believe some things on the site said that the Samurai rebellion also had firearms and that the Government was modelling their army more off the French and British then the Americans and hired more of them than Americans.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well if I remember correctly, the Samurai's would employ firearms, but not used by them. I believe they used the peasant types to use the firearms, if I'm not mistaken.

GeorgiaDixie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Janos
\
That crusty old 20th Maine git made it through Gettysburg and Gods and Generals -- I guess they're saving a bullet for him at Cold Harbor!

JS
You're talking about Kilrain, right? He died in a hospital on the 3rd after being wounded charging down the hill. Only in the old John Wayne movie does the Irish Sergeant ever survive!

Storm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Janos, have you done anything on the Sengoku Jidai?

Reaction score
Originally posted by GeorgiaDixie
You're talking about Kilrain, right? He died in a hospital on the 3rd after being wounded charging down the hill. Only in the old John Wayne movie does the Irish Sergeant ever survive!
And that's because the Victor McLaughlin character would always be so soused he wouldn't even know if he'd been shot.

Reaction score
I really liked the battle scenes and all of the military hardware. Yet another thumbs up for the armorers at WETA (the same ones from Lord of the Rings). The DVD extras are nice and really make you appreciate the large scale the battle scenes were done in. Cruise is OK (better than I'd expected), but somehow I still feel his part was miscast.

Storm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sengoku Jidai was the time of "The Country at War." It was from (I think) 1458-1556....I think....you might wanna look into it.

Geeky Nerd

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Superb movie :thumb:
Only disappointment - no bedscene between Tom Cruise and his Japanese leading lady :(

hogdriver

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It was good entertainment, though not very accurate, I suspect. I must say that I was surprised at the talent and range displayed by Tom Cruise - not generally one of my favorites. Prior to viewing it, I expected the film to be nothing more than a grandiose adventure flick. I was pleasantly surprised.

RetPara

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by GeorgiaDixie
I know, it happens every movie! :mad:

Weren't his last words the one he uttered before the battle, when Cruise told him to go guard the supply train?- "No disrespect meant, sir, but stick it up your ass." :thumb:
ARRGH!!!! :mad:

This is off-topic but really bites my ass. When I was growing up all the movies had the NCO's as the comic relief. As my career in the military continued it really started to get on my nerves.

I like Victor McLaughlin but the best Cav NCO's were played by Ward Bond as RegtSGM in Fort Apache (w/JWayne and HFonda), and Ben Johnson as Cpl/Sgt Tyree.

The Tm Sgt in the Green Berets piqued by interests in experimenting in demolitions in JH/HS.:horse: :crazy:

Terrance Knox in Tour of Duty though changed things as the way NCO's were portrayed. SPR followed suit, the BOB was taking the X's out with every shot. The Episode one the 1SG brings me to tears every time...

but then... WTF do I know... I'm just a old fire horse hearing the damn bell....

Reaction score
Originally posted by RetPara
ARRGH!!!! :mad:

This is off-topic but really bites my ass. When I was growing up all the movies had the NCO's as the comic relief. As my career in the military continued it really started to get on my nerves.

I like Victor McLaughlin but the best Cav NCO's were played by Ward Bond as RegtSGM in Fort Apache (w/JWayne and HFonda), and Ben Johnson as Cpl/Sgt Tyree.
Yeah, Ben Johnson was the real deal. Nobody did westerns any better. That's because he was a real cowboy before he ever got into movies. He was hired as a wrangler on "Red River" and the director liked him so much he got a speaking role. That's why no actor ever looked more natural on a horse than ole Ben. The rest is history.

AtomicSpud

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
First non-japanese historically accurate film on Japan that I've evers seen...and it rocked, to boot...:thumb: :thumb:

Consul

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It wasn't the best war film I've ever seen, nor the best Cruise film I've seen, but it was entertaining. Rather like a Japanese "Braveheart", I thought.

Consul

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Geeky Nerd said:
Superb movie :thumb:
Only disappointment - no bedscene between Tom Cruise and his Japanese leading lady :(
Actually, that was one of the things I liked about the movie. It was intended to be a war movie, and it stuck with the plot, instead of getting bogged down in...other things.