The Jutland Wiki

Yang

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Since it seems that it has become a known secret by now i guess i have no choice but to make it official. I wanted to wait a bit with the announcement to have more time to expand the content.
I have been working on the wiki since beginning of January on a day by day basis during my holidays. Yet work struck again and i couldn´t spent as much time as i wanted to on the wiki unfortunately. Anyway it is still in its infant stages but i hope it will continue to grow and expand. I was quite surprised a few days ago when i saw that someone else helped by editing the (still incomplete) shipclasses entry. Thanks Von der Tann. I still get headaches from the thought of adding all the Destroyer classes. :laugh: Anyway everyone is welcome and i hope a few more hands will help out. You will find editing to be quite easy. Personally my next goal is to finally add the pictures to the Jutland Guide to help newcomers getting accustomed to the game a bit quicker.

Anyway here it is:
http://jutland.wikia.com/wiki/Distant_Guns:_Jutland

And a big thanks to Bullethead for allowing his posts to be used there and by providing that big word file with his posts. In a sense he is to blame for the creation of the wiki anyway since he provided such a wealth of information in his posts that i wanted to "save" from sinking in the peril depths of the forum.
Oh and of course a big thanks to SES for providing the game we love. :)

Last edited:

Von der Tann

Schlachtkreuzer
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Thank you for the praise, yang. I'll look into the German ships mostly, as I am familiar with them and have a few good sources. One of them should be made public here, since I owe a great deal of my interest in WWI naval warfare and the Kaisers impressive navy to it and it is in English:

German Naval History

The site has a strong emphasis on the WWII Kriegsmarine, but a large part is dedicated to the Hochseeflotte.

Lempereur1

Kapellmeister
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since it seems that it has become a known secret by now i guess i have no choice but to make it official. I wanted to wait a bit with the announcement to have more time to expand the content.
I have been working on the wiki since beginning of January on a day by day basis during my holidays. Yet work struck again and i couldn´t spent as much time as i wanted to on the wiki unfortunately. Anyway it is still in its infant stages but i hope it will continue to grow and expand. I was quite surprised a few days ago when i saw that someone else helped by editing the (still incomplete) shipclasses entry. Thanks Von der Tann. I still get headaches from the thought of adding all the Destroyer classes. :laugh: Anyway everyone is welcome and i hope a few more hands will help out. You will find editing to be quite easy. Personally my next goal is to finally add the pictures to the Jutland Guide to help newcomers getting accustomed to the game a bit quicker.

Anyway here it is:
http://jutland.wikia.com/wiki/Distant_Guns:_Jutland

And a big thanks to Bullethead for allowing his posts to be used there and by providing that big word file with his posts. In a sense he is to blame for the creation of the wiki anyway since he provided such a wealth of information in his posts that i wanted to "save" from sinking in the peril depths of the forum.
Oh and of course a big thanks to SES for providing the game we love. :)
IN a word...

"Excellent"

PLease post the link over at the Subsim forum also!

Von der Tann

Schlachtkreuzer
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I've made a start on the German ships, all capital ship and cruiser types now have an article of their own. The destroyers are next.

The presentation form for the articles is still in need of improvement though, and we may add a section like "Use in battle" and "Known weaknesses and strengths".

Von der Tann

Schlachtkreuzer
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
So far, all of the German ship classes except most of the torpedo boats have their own article. But I have not had much time those last three weeks or so, as I have been working on an even more beneficient enterprise for everyones favourite game. ;)

However, it would be nice if a few more people would write the occasional article. We surely have more than two people around here who can think of something creative for the wiki, right?

Von der Tann

Schlachtkreuzer
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
All German fighting ships are now categorized, apart from auxiliary ships, subs and zeppelins.

Von der Tann

Schlachtkreuzer
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
A call to arms: every German ship plus every British BB, BC, B and CA have their own entry now. But I'll be damned if I try to tackle the monstrous task of categorizing all the countless RN DD, CL, AMC and monitors single-handedly, plus the wikia still needs some restructuring; so I'd like to conscript a few volunteers. This Wikia might be a most useful tool if two or three more people would take care of it.

Bullethead

Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A call to arms: every German ship plus every British BB, BC, B and CA have their own entry now. But I'll be damned if I try to tackle the monstrous task of categorizing all the countless RN DD, CL, AMC and monitors single-handedly, plus the wikia still needs some restructuring; so I'd like to conscript a few volunteers. This Wikia might be a most useful tool if two or three more people would take care of it.
I know a bit about them. What do you need to know?

Von der Tann

Schlachtkreuzer
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Each type of ship has its own page, and as you can imagine, there's an awful lot of ship types in the light forces and auxiliaries of the Royal Navy. The issue at hand is not so much about information, but the sheer size of the task, although a few sources for DD and AMC might be handy, as they rarely show on the more common pages. Writing one of these pages is not so hard, but tedious and repetitive, and of course, you need a picture of each ship type and its data from in-game. If you do this all alone, you tend to lose motivation eventually. So I don't need much more info, but a few extra hands to assist me.

Von der Tann

Schlachtkreuzer
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Making a start on the subs and zeppelins. Strangely enough, the German subs show a peculiar difference to real life in terms of artillery armament, which on most boats seems to have been a 10,5cm gun - why has SES chosen the 8,8cm gun instead?

saddletank

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
ll
Before working on subs and zeppelins I think doing the rest of the RN surface ships would be a wiser move - or do you lack data for those?

Von der Tann

Schlachtkreuzer
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
No lack of data, but the sheer enormity of the task keeps me from actually making a start. So far, I have followed a policy of adding some info whenever I felt like it and could motivate myself, and this is far easier for me with my navy of choice and the capital ships. I remember, however, the amount of work involved with categorizing and describing the KM light forces alone, and with the RN possessing dozens and dozens of these, I just can't bring myself to do it. Doing a fresh article is fairly easy, but it is also quite mind-numbing.

saddletank

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
ll
If you can give me permission to work on the Wiki, I can make a start. I'd be lifting data straight from Conways though, its the only recent source I have.

I can improve the reinforcement schedule as well if you wish, since I just wrote my own out by hand from the campaign start screens - right down to every date and ship/submarine/zeppelin name or number.

I just lack which ships are removed during the campaign, though I think this is just one of the RN ACs isn't it? Hampshire?

Last edited:

Von der Tann

Schlachtkreuzer
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
The good thing about a Wiki is that anyone can write in it, so you need no permission from anyone. Getting the ship data is easy-peasy, just build a scenario and put it in, so you can look at the data sheet. Try to keep the standard format, though, and just change pictures, flavour text and data - much easier that way.

Just did the monitors, btw, and I will take care of the rest of the French and US ships myself. Somewhere down the road, a sheet with the data of every weapon in the game would be nice as well. It already exists somewhere.

saddletank

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
ll
Okay, I'll make a start. I can tidy up some of the other articles too for grammar and spelling and some colloquial language. I trust that would be alright?