The Infantry Game

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For a lot of gamers the infantry combat model is as important as the tank combat model.

I'm one of those.

Good Hunting.

MR

mOBIUS

Reaction score
MR, you could make an xml of a scout team. Just don't give them much range so they don't give themselves away by firing at something.

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are recon companies in all Divisions/Rgt sized units. Over and above that a company would often send out 2/3/4 man patrols to gather information of all kinds.

I have too many maps to make to redo the infantry at the moment, but I think you can expect something in the very near future.

Good Hunting.

MR

Pillar

Reaction score
For a lot of gamers the infantry combat model is as important as the tank combat model.

I'm one of those.

Good Hunting.

MR
This is one short-fall of the combat mission series imo. No matter what version of the engine you pick. The second version doesn't use cover enough and the first version automatically assigns cover to units much too generously.

Can infantry advance against machine guns over open ground just like they do in CMBB?

I'll want to know before I put any time into the game.

junk2drive

Reaction score
Before the grass was added it was almost impossible to advance over open ground against small arms or MGs. With the grass you have a better chance but we still don't have a crawl order like CMSF.

There will be a demo so that you can judge for yourself.

Pillar

Reaction score
Looking forward very much to a demo.

Tall grass should help troops that stop moving, a little. Area fire should still be as effective as it would be if the ground were completely open, but any aimed fire bonuses to firepower ought to be reduced once target infantry stop moving and "take cover" or become pinned.

To get the effect we're used to seeing in CMBB/AK where infantry can go to ground in the open and, with a bit of range, ultimately stay there until the shooter (rifles/lmg) runs out of ammo, you'd need them to be in micro-terrain. For anyone who doesn't know what that means, it is the current term in vogue the military uses for dips and lumps in the ground under a few feet of difference.

CMBB/AK assumes all open terrain is chock-full of micro terrain.

Pillar

Reaction score
In PCO, Grass only effects LOS. The ground terrain that it is placed on effects movement. Grass doesn't stop bullets.
In CMBB exposure was a combination of concealment and cover. Trees don't stop bullets either, for example, but scattered trees offered less exposure than open ground. In reality, only the earth can protect you in that regard. But, "aimed" fire in CMBB was aiming at abstract infantry 'counter' markers, so it made sense to abstract individuals seeking concealment.

It would be neat to hear, if you have any comment on how PzC is different in that regard.

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can infantry advance against machine guns over open ground just like they do in CMBB?

No. IMO, at the moment PCO is extremely bloody and unforgiving of infantry combat. A bit too many casualties dished out. BUT that should all change when we get PC4 working.

Good Hunting.

MR

Pillar

Reaction score
No. IMO, at the moment PCO is extremely bloody and unforgiving of infantry combat. A bit too many casualties dished out. BUT that should all change when we get PC4 working.

Good Hunting.

MR
Personally I prefer the CMSF depiction of troops in open ground over the CMBB version, it's just so much more satisfying to require combined arms and suppression to advance infantry over such spaces, even if in real life there are some open fields that have a lot to offer in terms of micro-terrain -- most don't.

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CMSF was long ago and far away for me. I have nothing to compare the two games with. What will happen starting this year, is a reworked infantry combat model for PC as well as destructible terrain.

Good Hunting.

MR