The Hobbit

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks like there might be three Hobbit films:

[h=1]Third 'Hobbit' movie may be coming from Peter Jackson[/h]
But Jackson has concluded that there is enough material from the book, as well as the extensive appendixes to “The Lord of the Rings,” to make a third film, according to three people who were not authorized to speak publicly. New Line Cinema, the Warner Bros. unit overseeing production of the movies, is eager to see it happen, and talks are underway with actors and others who would need to sign off on the plan.

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
A friend of mine is an elf in the Hobbit. They held auditions in town a few months back and spent some time filming up by Treble Cone and Glenorchy. She just fitted the tall and willowy look they were after - I'll be keeping an eye out for the 40 year old elf!

Also, friends of ours own Scene 17 vineyard, named because scene 17 in LOTR was shot there. We've just had some friends on my nephew staying and took them there for a walk, completely blown away. Check out http://www.scene17wine.com/about-scene-17-wine/the-lord-of-the-rings.php

Looking forward to the first movie, I saw the latest trailer at the Cinema Paradiso last week and it looks awesome!

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I didn't realize there was a winery located on that spot! I'll have to keep an eye out for their wine.

BTW: new poster:

View attachment 37046
So... who is the guy with the beard?

Seems Benedict Cumberbatch is hot property. He is apparently the voice of Smaug in The Hobbit as well as playing "the bad guy" in Star Trek XII. Never mind his being Sherlock.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks like they are going to do it:

[h=1]Director Peter Jackson adds third film to J.R.R. Tolkien tale ‘The Hobbit’[/h]
“We recognized that the richness of the story of ‘The Hobbit,’ as well as some of the related material in the appendices of ‘The Lord of the Rings,’ gave rise to a simple question: do we tell more of the tale?” Jackson said in a statement. “And the answer from our perspective as filmmakers and fans was an unreserved ‘yes.’ ”

“We know how much of the tale of Bilbo Baggins, the Dwarves of Erebor, the rise of the Necromancer, and the Battle of Dol Guldur would remain untold if we did not fully realize this complex and wonderful adventure,” he said.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Saw a release date of December 14th 2012 and December 12th 2013 for the first two parts.

Sure hope I can afford to see them then....

Bob Miller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wonder how badly Jackson is going to mess this one up compared to LotRs. The Hobbit was written as a children's book. Thus the whimsical style of the writing and the resulting effect of like it is being read by the author to a child. Still the story is fun. Tolkien's first few versions of LotRs, the early chapters had the same children's storybook tone. Aragorn started out as a Hobbit who wore shoes because his feet were broken the the Necromancer in his earlier travels. Notes of the professors reveal that he started asking himself, "who is this Aragorn, maybe he is something special" He didn't start out as the lost heir of Gondor.

Some folks were crapping about Legolas being in the Hobbit movie. "He wasn't in the book" they say. True, by name. But the elves were having a wedding party in the woods when the dwarves were lost in Mirkwood. What's not to think that Legolas was giving a wedding toast for his older brother when Thorin barged in on the party. It could have happened, Tolkien just didn't mention it. Also is is very reasonable to assume that Legolas fought in the Battle of the Five Armies. Nothing wrong with doing an isolation shot on him rather than show a generic elf fighting.

But what Jackson did to the LotRs was unforgivable in my book. Shame on him. Elves in Helm's Deep? Undead at Minas Tirth? Many more that are worse.

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Apparently he will be dipping into the Appendixes of LOtR pretty heavily to flesh things out.

I dunno....this doens't soudn rpomising to me. Overheard on Ain'tItCool.com: "Like delicious butter, spread too thin on a piece of bread....."

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
Personally, I'm willing to watch the movie, I like Jackson's adaptations.

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
WAY better than the books, which are practically unreadable.
Hah, now that you mention it, what I remember from the books, is that they were on a journey, roaming. And roaming. And roaming...

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I guess like hundreds of millions of other people, come December I'll flock to the theater to see The Hobbit. Looking back from the vantage point of a decade though, I think Peter Jackson has been rather overrated. I always thought it was interesting how one day he was making grade 'B' horror movies in New Zealand, and the next he is being proclaimed as the greatest director of our time.

I thought his King Kong was absolute rubbish, and for a holiday film it was a total downer. It was way, way too long, and I couldn't wait for it to end. Also, I loved Jack Black in School of Rock, but he was dreadful in Kong. My feeling with Kong was that PJ couldn't decide whether he wanted it to be a light-hearted or dark movie, and it didn't work as either.

Concerning the much lauded trilogy, I do admit that PJ did a great job re-imagining the Tolkien books as entertaining modern action-adventure films. Also, I agree that creating the trilogy must have been a logistical nightmare, and I give Jackson credit there as well. Looking back at them now after repeated viewings, however, they were not without their flaws and would not rate as being the greatest films of modern times. For one thing they were terribly death-centric to the point of morbidity. I didn't see that at all in the Tolkien books. To be fair though I think this was PJ's wife Fran Walsch's fault. For another, the way too many hobbit bonding scenes make me want to gag....."Oh Sam!" :kotz: Also, the women in the cast tried hard, but they came off boring and cardboard most of the time, and even the great Eowyn character ended up 'standing by her man' at the end. :( The CGI was good, but I've become desensitized to it and am not nearly as impressed with CGI as I once was. I'm sure the trilogy wouldn't hold up nearly as well if you stripped away much of the CGI. Also, even when watching ROTK the first time in the theater, I found myself becoming impatient with the 4-5 false endings. On DVD at home this is not as big a deal, but in the theater it was painful. Anyway, at the end of the day we all knew that the LOTR movies had to happen, but did they have to happen in such a pretentious way???

If anyone doesn't think PJ has let success go to his head, you need look no further than the pic of him walking barefoot across Abbey Road. Please! Anyway, I hope his enormous ego doesn't spoil The Hobbit too much, but I'm not optimistic. In fact, given PJ's ego, I was not at all surprised when Guillermo Del Toro bailed from the project.

With this post I'm probably going to gain the enmity of the PJ fans at GameSquad, but in the words of the great journalist HL Mencken, "The purpose of the free press is to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable." ;)

BTW, like one or two of you mentioned, on revisiting the LOTR books a few years ago they did indeed lose some of their luster and appeal since first reading them as a teenager. I would add though that I have no such problem with the Silmarillion. It holds up very well, and I would love to see someone (other than PJ ;) do it as a series of films.

Last edited:

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WAY better than the books, which are practically unreadable.
I loved the movies UNTIL i read the books, cant stand them now. The books totally blow the movies away. They changed way too much and left out way too much in my opinion.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I loved the movies UNTIL i read the books, cant stand them now. The books totally blow the movies away. They changed way too much and left out way too much in my opinion.
Interesting you should say that. When I revisited the books a few years ago I still mostly enjoyed them, it was just that I didn't get the big epic feel from them like I did as a teenager. For example, in revisiting the battle of Helm's Deep in the books, it came off now as being a rather low-level skirmish rather than the big apocalyptic battle that Jackson made it in the movie. In supporting my original comments on the films though, I think the books were far more intimate and less pretentious than the movies.

On a related note, I can only think of two examples where I liked the movies better than the books. One was the original 'The Manchurian Candidate' (Frank Sinatra and Lawrence Harvey) and the other was Fatherland (Rutger Hauer and Miranda Richardson).

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I also like the movie Aragorn better than the book one, which is basically an uptight bastard I wouldn't share a single beer with.

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
I also like the movie Aragorn better than the book one, which is basically an uptight bastard I wouldn't share a single beer with.
I recommend reading "The Dark Tower" series, you'll love Roland ;)

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
But what Jackson did to the LotRs was unforgivable in my book. Shame on him. Elves in Helm's Deep? Undead at Minas Tirth? Many more that are worse.
Get over it. It made the films far better than the books.