llUnited States
So long to go! :hissyfit:

[video=youtube;G0k3kHtyoqc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0k3kHtyoqc[/video]

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I should probably have myself cryogenically frozen until release...

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe this movie will make many people happy/sad/irritated/annoyed/overjoyed..... Like the first three movies....

Me, I just hope I can afford to buy the DVDs when they become available 5 years from now....

Russell Williams

Potatoe Peeler 3rd Class
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I was born on the same day as Richard Armitage (Thorin), in the same city. If he was born in Leicester Hospital, I am a changeling.

SkaterMcgee

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks good, hope it lives up to the name... I am definately looking forward to December now.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
I hope it lives up to the book... Yeah?
I know...
I know....
:D

In fact I think the book's crap.
I perhaps enjoyed it the first ever time I read it and it served to get me into LOTR and consequently into Fantasy Role Playing Games which I loved as a teenager (Call of Cthulhu.....FANTASTIC).

But I went back and read the book in later life and just thought meh...

I do think the film is going to be just sublime.

I actually thought LOTR was a very rare film in that I enjoyed it probably more than the book (and I enjoyed the book)....I think perhaps it's the removal of some pretty dull reading (Old Forest....Lothlorien....) which did it for me.

Last edited:

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Same thing with me and LOTR. Read it when I was 16; Despite being British I did not form a rock group and record concept albums about it. Survived living in student houses where I was the only one who thought Dune was the best book ever written (I still do) and LOTR was average.

Saw the Jackson films and loved them. Replaced the DVD's with the extended versions and then bought the blu ray.

When I re read the books as a 45 year old I could barely stand it. Absolute shite.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I only started liking the book after I watched the movies. I could never make it past Concerning Hobbits.

I have to read Dune, first to admit it. You guys know the British TV series, right?

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
No. Not watched the TV series and didn't think the movie caught the piece at all...

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Same thing with me and LOTR. Read it when I was 16; Despite being British I did not form a rock group and record concept albums about it. Survived living in student houses where I was the only one who thought Dune was the best book ever written (I still do) and LOTR was average.

Saw the Jackson films and loved them. Replaced the DVD's with the extended versions and then bought the blu ray.

When I re read the books as a 45 year old I could barely stand it. Absolute shite.
In terms of fantasy books I always found the old D&D books, Dragonlance chronicles etc, far more entertaining.
And there was always something which excited my imagination about Dragons
Perhaps because there's more action....and they're written in language I found easier to understand.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Based on the TV series I'm reading the first of the "game of Thrones" series by George R. R. Martin. Now this chap wrote the only really scary story I ever read called "Sandkings"back in the early 80's. GOT is very good indeed. Light on the magic early on, very strong on character and intrigue. TV series is top notch.

Dune takes some reading. Ploughed through it at age 13 and really failed to grasp what it was about. More recent re read cements it as a gigantic epic.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Based on the TV series I'm reading the first of the "game of Thrones" series by George R. R. Martin. Now this chap wrote the only really scary story I ever read called "Sandkings"back in the early 80's. GOT is very good indeed. Light on the magic early on, very strong on character and intrigue. TV series is top notch.

Dune takes some reading. Ploughed through it at age 13 and really failed to grasp what it was about. More recent re read cements it as a gigantic epic.
Pretty much agree on all....except I do like Tolkien very much.

I've read the entire Game of Thrones series (what's in print) three times now. My favorite by far.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Pretty much agree on all....except I do like Tolkien very much.

I've read the entire Game of Thrones series (what's in print) three times now. My favorite by far.
How many 'series' are available in book form Fort/Trev ?
I'm considering a read based on your two recommendations

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Five so far with at least two more to come (A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, A Feast for Crows, A Dance with Dragons, The Winds of Winter, A Dream of Spring). You can read about it here without too many spoilers. -- jim

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Halfway through the first book, after enjoying the series. Very well written and I've come to appreciate the craft of the scriptwriters.

Last edited:

alanmills90

Recruit
Reaction score
I did not like the Trailer that Much but I adored the Lord of the Rings trilogy, so I can't wait for The Hobbit.