The Hobbit

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wondering when I can start buying the tickets for the midnight opening show.

Never understood why people consider the Elves at Helms Deep to be the biggest problem of the story changes.
Elves at Helms Deep were the LEAST of the changes.......

What happened to the Dark Forest??

What about Tom Bombadil ??

The way they made Arwen a main character, her name MAYBE mentioned 3 times in the whole of the three books.

I could go on but will spare Trev. :stirthepot:

I'll go and see the Hobbit, JUST to see how its butchered.....:hissyfit:

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Elves at Helms Deep were the LEAST of the changes.......

What happened to the Dark Forest??

What about Tom Bombadil ??

The way they made Arwen a main character, her name MAYBE mentioned 3 times in the whole of the three books.

I could go on but will spare Trev. :stirthepot:

I'll go and see the Hobbit, JUST to see how its butchered.....:hissyfit:
Dark forest? So what did happen there again?

Bombadil was even cut from the radio version for being entirely irrelevant.

Arwen works very well in the film, a good opportunity to expand a character very well taken.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I suppose it was reasonable to cut out Tom Bombadil for the sake of brevity, but Tom Baker would have been perfect...
I enjoyed the films, but thought they could have replaced all the pointless 'go west' stuff at the end for the Scouring of the Shire.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's perfectly normal to fold several book characters into one movie character.

As we all know here, Cornelius Ryan folded many real-world characters into single characters for his famous books, too.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I suppose I should step back a moment and think how I look to people who liked the David Lynch Dune film. The greatest novel I ever read is Frank Herbert's Dune.

Oh wait. No one liked Dune the film (hven't seent he TV series).

One of the featues of the conversations we have about LOTR adaptations is that there are many people who read the book who really do like or even prefer the films. I'm one of these.

The Hobbit trailers look great.

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I suppose I should step back a moment and think how I look to people who liked the David Lynch Dune film. The greatest novel I ever read is Frank Herbert's Dune.

Oh wait. No one liked Dune the film (hven't seent he TV series).

One of the featues of the conversations we have about LOTR adaptations is that there are many people who read the book who really do like or even prefer the films. I'm one of these.

The Hobbit trailers look great.
I agree Trev. I REALLY liked the movies when i first saw them. My mistake was reading the books afterwards and liking the books more. <shrug> As to "Dune", i've never read the book and the movie didnt inspire me to. Maybe i'll give it a shot...

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree Trev. I REALLY liked the movies when i first saw them. My mistake was reading the books afterwards and liking the books more. <shrug> As to "Dune", i've never read the book and the movie didnt inspire me to. Maybe i'll give it a shot...
The TV series is 3.5 miles better than that silly movie. Hotter babes, too, a real princess for starters.

http://www.amazon.com/Frank-Herberts-Dune-Three-Disc-Directors/dp/B0000639EV/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1353983101&sr=1-2&keywords=dune

Last edited:

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, absolutely do read the book, it is outstanding.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
But Frank Herbert liked it and praised it for portraying climate of the book accurately.
Pfft ! Writers!

It is actually a little painful to read the part where Paul Atreides sells himself over to the Fremen as their true messiah. I couldn't get the Life of Brian out of my head.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Each to his own. Northern Lights (book) ran rings around The Golden Compass (film).

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
Pfft ! Writers!

It is actually a little painful to read the part where Paul Atreides sells himself over to the Fremen as their true messiah. I couldn't get the Life of Brian out of my head.
Hah :).

Drow

Reaction score
I think the Hobbits going to be very good. Jackson has a way of making things fit. Some of the old folks at TSR when they were doing Ad &D based a lot of the game from the Hobbit and the sittings the book laid out. One thing the Lord of the Rings did was get a lot of kids back into reading.

Bill

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"What does it have in it's pocketses, Precious? "

Ticket for the midnight show on opening day.