The Grain Elevator (Stalingrad)

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all-

Was looking at ch GE mini hasl and boy that map looks nothing like the real deal. The OB's are accurate with NKVD and Russian Sailors fighting in and around the Grain elevator but thats it. Below is a pick of the GE area . Is anybody actually working on doing a little mini HASL for this battle? I'm thinking about it since my ftf opponent tends to like East front and stalingrad stuff when we play.

As can be seen and if you have the old ch GE map, it has no resemblance to the actual layout of the battle.

Scott

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi all-

Was looking at ch GE mini hasl and boy that map looks nothing like the real deal. The OB's are accurate with NKVD and Russian Sailors fighting in and around the Grain elevator but thats it. Below is a pick of the GE area . Is anybody actually working on doing a little mini HASL for this battle? I'm thinking about it since my ftf opponent tends to like East front and stalingrad stuff when we play.

As can be seen and if you have the old ch GE map, it has no resemblance to the actual layout of the battle.

Scott
How much area around the elevator would constitute a reasonable size for depicting the battles?

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

The map size would probably be two full geo boards side by side with two more half geo boards butted at the end. Hence a nice mini CG that would last a week (Sept 14th to Sept 21st) I am really surprised nobody has really worked on such a project being that Stalingrad is probably the most popular subject for ASL and ASL'ers.

Attached is the map size I think it might be and my unfinished conceptual version of the lay out.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Hi Scott,

Are you sure the grain elevator building is that big? You have it at about 280m long by 160-200m wide. That is one huge building. CH's is much smaller.

Paullus

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hi Scott,

yes I know people who are working on the Project and also your Silo is much too big on your map.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all-

Scott
Yup. I have the CH map, and enjoyed plaing the ONE scenario that went with it. But the map looks nothing like the actual terrain...

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Hi Scott,

yes I know people who are working on the Project and also your Silo is much too big on your map.
Who is working on it?

Looking forward to seeing being printed.

LFT?

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yup. I have the CH map, and enjoyed plaing the ONE scenario that went with it. But the map looks nothing like the actual terrain...
pity it was a completely broken HASL design.

I doubt a map fix alone will suffice. the 3 legged dog needs reworked entirely.

KRL, Jon H

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think the silo is just fine on the map. Its a game and you gotta give some maneuver room for both combatants, if not not, your taking away the fun factor of trying to fight for the Grain elevator. Anyway good luck with your version, hopefully it will be fun and playable.

Scott

Hi Scott,

Paullus

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I didn't say it was mine but I know about it. I can't say if it's fun but Í hope so, as I do with your version Scott.

Don I don't think they have approached any publisher yet. I know they still have a lot to do as they are covering a wither area then just the Silo.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
For scale purposes, the grain elevator area as per CX style board:

View attachment 44229

Edit: How much more/less of the surrounding terrain would be needed for a decent CG?

Last edited:

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
pity it was a completely broken HASL design.

I doubt a map fix alone will suffice. the 3 legged dog needs reworked entirely.

KRL, Jon H
The whole thing looked like it got thrown together way too fast.

The new project(s), I think, would make a nice Mini-HASL for a journal, or the like...

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

The new project(s), I think, would make a nice Mini-HASL for a journal, or the like...
So is MMP going to be the publisher, or will one of the TPPs be the publisher?

This would work well for the BFP crew to publish. They do very well with East Front stuff.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

A full redesign, such a Scott was discussing , would be useful indeed. It would need new rules sets, new RGs, a new Cg SSR section, new maps, and then some nice attractive cover art packaging.

The end result, 2-3 years out a full blown HASL CG with the works if done well and published under the auspices of someone like LFT or BFP.

( Depending on the talent that could be called in).

The original, designed to "piggy back" on the heels of DTW , failed miserably.

KRL, Jon H

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think only about 50-70 Soviets were defending the place. Like 4-5 ASL squads...lot of MG's though.

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Yup, apparently when the Germans captured it they were astounded to find so few Soviet corpses inside.