The Gettin' Old Poll

What geriatric issue, if any, gives you trouble with ASL?

• Reading small fonts in the rulebook

Votes: 36 37.5%
  • Reading small fonts on the counters

Votes: 68 70.8%
  • Making out the colors in the rulebook, map, or counters

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Manipulating counters on the map

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • Physically sitting through a FTF session

Votes: 9 9.4%
  • Physically getting to a FTF session or tournament

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • Hearing one's opponent

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Mentally focusing on the game

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • Keep missing shots at Vinnie

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Nope, none of these yet, knock on wood!

Votes: 23 24.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Every year the font on my counters gets smaller. I'm sorry to ask this question, but I think it needs to be asked. The poll is anonymous, so feel free to share your deepest weaknesses with us all.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Apart from missing Vinnie, which was always a problem since I joined GS, small counter fonts and handling counters are my bane, but I have always had those problems since SL, never mind ASL. I have troll fingers.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Every year the font on my counters gets smaller. I'm sorry to ask this question, but I think it needs to be asked. The poll is anonymous, so feel free to share your deepest weaknesses with us all.
So glad to see that I have inspired at least *some* creative behavior on your part......

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bought the small rulebook and that has caused problems. Have always had problems reading the small print on the vehicles on scenario cards to see what counters to pull, for example to tell if it's a PzIII... a, c, d, e, f, etc.

But, James (RevJJ on GS) turned me on to a cool magnifying glass you can buy at the Hobby Lobby for $10. Just a hunk of plastic, but you can place it on top of counters/pages without disturbing anything.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm 100% sure that herr pitmann our little corporal will be complaining to the mods about this thread lol.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hey!

You need to have an extra option if "answering poll questions correctly" as i managed to check both "reading small counters" and "none of the above".
I sometimes struggle not with the counters but with the counters in the scenario card. Is that a Pzr4 D or E?

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
My back gets sore sitting and playing FTF for a long time, but then again my back gets sore when I'm not playing FTF so I don't think it's an ASL thing.

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bought the small rulebook and that has caused problems. Have always had problems reading the small print on the vehicles on scenario cards to see what counters to pull, for example to tell if it's a PzIII... a, c, d, e, f, etc.

But, James (RevJJ on GS) turned me on to a cool magnifying glass you can buy at the Hobby Lobby for $10. Just a hunk of plastic, but you can place it on top of counters/pages without disturbing anything.
http://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Hobbies-Collecting/Stamp-Collecting/2-Ultra-Dome-4X-Power-Magnifier/p/22096

It's ~$10 after 40% Hobby Lobby coupon. Works great. I don't have the compact rule book, but some of the small text on my 1st gen Rat charts is starting to get difficult to view even with my readers on.

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Smart, I know what my next purchase will be now. My vision is good yet, but seeing counters at arms reach is still difficult because of the angle, so I find myself having to lift off the seat a little for a better angle. A large magnifier adjusted at arms length... thanks for solving the pain in my knees! :)

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Bad eyes from staring into weapon sights for to long, a shattered T7 thoracic vertebrae from a jump that when t wrong (landed on my bundle and hit hard) vertebrae is in one chunk but badly chipped and cracked, so sitting for a long time is no good.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Vinnie is coming to ASLOK. He will have a hard time dodging ASL bullets there :)

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey!

You need to have an extra option if "answering poll questions correctly" as i managed to check both "reading small counters" and "none of the above".
I sometimes struggle not with the counters but with the counters in the scenario card. Is that a Pzr4 D or E?
you should have left the can't read small print selected - Vinnnie - since you also selected the "Keep missing shots at Vinnie......"

(somebody needs new glasses....))

:D

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
mine are , sadly, not age induced...

Stroke left me with inability to sit for long periods of time without severe edema kicking in high gear on both legs. Eyesight has always been an issue for me since taking a dose of flight deck non-skid (still wet and sticky) into both eyes somewhere in the roaring forties south of Ceylon on the USS Tarawa. that caused creosote and thinner burns to the left lens that included permanent pitting. (and is one of the reasons I make sure a Corpsman NEVER buys a beer when I am around - without the skills of a HM1 on board, I'd be blind now.) Hearing is shot from the concussion that came with the stroke and the temporal bone crushing the left cochlea when it shifted.

The stroke was bad-habit related. Too many years of smoking (when you fly on helos, it don't matter, your life expectancy is too short to care if you smoke or not); eating deep fried and high cholesterol foods (hey, YOU go to sea and eat canned chili on rice for 46 days straight, or go to the field and east 1 MRE / day for 2 months straight - then let me know if you don't decide to enjoy that friggin extra large potato wedges from KFC or a big stuffed chimichanga when you get home- damn skippy you do.)

Get plenty of exercise - too much in fact - my joints are in bad shape overall. Gone is the booze and the smokes - replaced by a menagerie of meds that make a love life look more like a case of scenario ASL 17 title. :)D). Good thing I'm already married - cause I'm a real cranky basterd sometimes now - with my only vice left a single cup of caffeine enhanced coffee each day ( the rest must be unleaded, however). - and of course, playing ASL. But that, I do now at home via VASL mostly - so I can keep my feet elevated to avoid the edema and the bruising / surface bleeds it comes with, and take a break every hour or so to stand up and walk around a bit, and enjoy a cup of cherry-flavored sugar free seltzer water - my new replacement for the whiskey... :). It still tastes okay, but no hangover from too many cups of it in one night.

so my vote is for missing Vinnie - never can seem to get him to hold still long enough to hit him.

KRL, Jon H

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is that what your calling it these days? the "font of your counters"?

kind of like going form a furry burr-top hairdo in the 80's to "Wow, look how hairy my back is, so what if I'm bald now?" today

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Vinnie is coming to ASLOK. He will have a hard time dodging ASL bullets there :)
With all of you getting old and your eyesight diminishing, he need not fear, I wager.
Unless you bring shotguns with buckshot, that is.

von Marwitz