The future of the Ersatz VASLeague

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The different leagues are more geographic than anything else. If you've ever had to try and coordinate a 10 hour difference game when both of you are working...

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
The different leagues are more geographic than anything else. If you've ever had to try and coordinate a 10 hour difference game when both of you are working...
With two months to complete a game you simply play those games on the weekend.
Not too hard.

I'm talking about the top league the main league and the secondary league not the regional leagues

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
With two months to complete a game you simply play those games on the weekend.
Not too hard.

I'm talking about the top league the main league and the secondary league not the regional leagues
Yeah, the problem is I work most weekends. You free to play on a wednesday that I have off?
And considering I'm starting work at 8am and still there after 9pm, playing "in the evening" doesn't work either...

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Your work schedule doesn't create the format.
Your limited time obviously precludes you from playing. Your decision to play with 4 hours a week shouldn't restrict other players.

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
First, thanks for stepping up and running a good tournament. As an east coast guy, I’m in my happy place not needing to play outside my zone by more than an hour, but I stretch when required.

I like the idea of promoting people who play all the rounds, or at least not demoting people who do so. The current pace is about right, 4 or 5 games. Even with the best of intentions it can be tough to get schedules lined up. For me the summers are the hardest due to my being happily distracted by outdoor activities in the nice weather.

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
Can we get a repost of the league directives?
Tobias makes a great effort to make this a fun experience for as many people as possible. If you want to have written documentation of precise "league directives" he might decide to call it quits, and I would not blame him.

Tobias - take all the advise you want, but make it according to your best judgement. I am in, whatever you do, and I do not need any league directives, thank you very much (and I WILL walk against red lights next time I visit Germany - NOTE: that was an internal joke between me and Tobias).

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I WILL walk against red lights next time I visit Germany
I spent a semester in Rome in my college days, and picked up a lot of jay-walking related habits: took a weekend trip to Germany and within minutes of arriving was almost killed by a bus that vas no goinck to stop foah illegal street crossahs.

I second the advice to do whatever works best for you! Thanks for stepping into the breach (and if you would like volunteers to help shoulder some of the lifting, let me know).

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Tobias makes a great effort to make this a fun experience for as many people as possible. If you want to have written documentation of precise "league directives" he might decide to call it quits, and I would not blame him.

Tobias - take all the advise you want, but make it according to your best judgement. I am in, whatever you do, and I do not need any league directives, thank you very much (and I WILL walk against red lights next time I visit Germany - NOTE: that was an internal joke between me and Tobias).
ECZ had guidelines on the procedures...

Is this just a PICK UP "league"?

What is the purpose of the league? To play games?
LOL we can do that anytime, its called Opponents Wanted.
So, what is the purpose?

Top league vs scrub league...what's the dif?
how to get from one league to the next?
Is it a league or a forum?

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Your work schedule doesn't create the format.
Your limited time obviously precludes you from playing. Your decision to play with 4 hours a week shouldn't restrict other players.
YOU seem to know how it should be done and who is eligible to play and who is not. Perhaps YOU need to set up your own league instead?

Last edited:

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Country
llSweden
I took a weekend trip to Germany and within minutes of arriving was almost killed by a bus that vas no goinck to stop foah illegal street crossahs.
One early morning just after the FtF Conscripts Tournament I found myself standing on the curb across Leipzig Hauptbahnhof. The pedestrian light was Red, there were 30-50 people on the other side of the street on the way to work, there was not a car or bus in sight over 100m or so. I of course crossed the road, but nobody else did. One of the organizers of Conscripts later pointed out how important it is to follow laws, all laws. I pointed out that there was a reason the word “Kadaverdisziplin” is understood by many outside Germany without translation or further explanation 😎. We are still friends, I hope, because he is very good at running tournaments 😊.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
One early morning just after the FtF Conscripts Tournament I found myself standing on the curb across Leipzig Hauptbahnhof. The pedestrian light was Red, there were 30-50 people on the other side of the street on the way to work, there was not a car or bus in sight over 100m or so. I of course crossed the road, but nobody else did. One of the organizers of Conscripts later pointed out how important it is to follow laws, all laws. I pointed out that there was a reason the word “Kadaverdisziplin” is understood by many outside Germany without translation or further explanation 😎. We are still friends, I hope, because he is very good at running tournaments 😊.
Did you bother to check whether they were any children among the 30-50 people? And did it occur to you that a small child might not be able to judge whether it is safe to cross the road while the pedestrian light is red? That it may be enticed by your bad role model to do it 'like the cool guy'?

This has nothing to do at all with "Kadavergehorsam" but much more with thinking of one's responsibility for those kids that don't have the capacity yet to do so for themselves. Perchance this has to be explained to some outside Germany.

von Marwitz

P.S.
You might wonder why you have not been summarily shot before you have reached the other side of the street.
Currently, there is no law that prescribes it. ;)

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Country
llSweden
Perchance this has to be explained to some outside Germany.
There are a lot of "German things" that have to be explained to people outside Germany. Just saying 🆒.

But the Kriegspielwettbewerbsorganisationstalent, Arbeitsdrucksbewältigungsvermögen, Lederhosengemütlichkeitsselbstdarstellung, Humorlosigkeitskompensationsübertreibung and Konfliktauflösungsdurchsetzungskraft found throughout Germany ensures that Ersatz VASLeague are in very good hands (thus keeping this posting on topic).

Last edited:

up5799

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was thinking it might be a good idea to have shorter intervals between games in the winter when the weather is cold and longer intervals in the summer when the weather is warm, then I realized for people in the southern hemisphere the seasons are reversed!

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
32-man bracket, all play 5 games. It isn't that hard to bracket out so everyone gets 5 games with an opponent with the same record and no repeat against the same opponent.
16-man bracket, all play 4 games. Same idea.

8-man round robin, everyone gets 7 games.

6-man round robin, 5 games.

Four suggestions ... spitballing.

tunixx

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I am happy with the league as it was in 2020. I had great opponents and good games.

Now that (...)
Are there any other things you would like to change/improve/comment on?