The Forgotten Battle - Dutch film now on Netflix

KhandidGamera

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished watching this, not bad, covering the Walcheren Causeway battle at the end. There's a good glider sequence at the beginning. A lot of it encompasses different sides of the Dutch experience under occupation near the end near liberation. Came onto Netflix yesterday.

WW2TV did an interview with the film maker a while back. The Forgotten Battle - Interview with Alain de Levita

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Unfortunate I don't have Netflix. Is it good compared to 12 April?

I enjoy early war scenarios and movies like this.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
I would like to see something from the Norway front too. More movies with silly looking helmets and mummy socks.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I've seen both movies. I liked both. The one mentioned in the original post also includes the character of a Dutch young adult fighting with the Germans.

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The interview w/the filmmaker (see OP for link) goes into his rationale for showing the spectrum of choices made by the Dutch characters (young Dutch, especially) re the German invaders. It was because of that interview that I made time to see the film.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I remember there was some Dutch movie that was going to be out in the 00s but I can no longer find the original film's site or anything about the movie. I even searched the name in English & Dutch & came up with nothing. It was years ago like I said & it was supposed to be about the Dutch resisting during 1940 & it did have a clip about some Dutch soldiers along a trenchline in the woods & along came the 1st SS to blast a hole thru them & continue on deeper into the Netherlands. I may have the link with the movie name (that goes nowhere now of course) on my old computer but it's packed away in storage. any help? it was being worked on sometime during 05 or I think & they had filmed enuf for a combat clip in the woods of fighting between Dutch frontier troops & 1st SS troops (maybe 10 minutes).

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Resistance movies aren’t the most interesting. I found 9 April so good because it showed how the Danish went to war without a modern army. The lieutenant was also a good character with how he handled his platoon. Lots of good acting, especially when they are annoyed at having no chance.

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I remember there was some Dutch movie that was going to be out in the 00s but I can no longer find the original film's site or anything about the movie. I even searched the name in English & Dutch & came up with nothing. It was years ago like I said & it was supposed to be about the Dutch resisting during 1940 & it did have a clip about some Dutch soldiers along a trenchline in the woods & along came the 1st SS to blast a hole thru them & continue on deeper into the Netherlands. I may have the link with the movie name (that goes nowhere now of course) on my old computer but it's packed away in storage. any help? it was being worked on sometime during 05 or I think & they had filmed enuf for a combat clip in the woods of fighting between Dutch frontier troops & 1st SS troops (maybe 10 minutes).
Maybe this one:
see also: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0920458/?ref_=ttls_li_tt

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
It doesn’t sound that great. Maybe Norway will make one better.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
All those Saints and Soldiers movies are pretty bad.

KhandidGamera

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Resistance movies aren’t the most interesting. I found 9 April so good because it showed how the Danish went to war without a modern army. The lieutenant was also a good character with how he handled his platoon. Lots of good acting, especially when they are annoyed at having no chance.
Can't think a better depiction of early war. Pretty accurate German armor. And what other movie depicts the Nimrod ATR motorcycle rig. Confess I'm a sucker for most Nordic made films and shows also, especially Nordic Noir.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
I agree. I also like all things Nordic, especially Danes. Early war is weird too. All of those long coats and archaic doctrine against the Germans who seem so advanced, but in only four years it will be the Germans who are old hat.

It’s tricky to show how the Danes weren’t bad soldiers but that they still didn’t have the doctrine or the weapons to win. It would be really great if they made a movie about the US 99th battalion of Norwegians.

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Could it be this movie: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2363219/?ref_=ttmi_tt (The Rotterdam Bombing)?

I haven't seen it so I don't know if it includes scenes of Dutch soldiers in a trenchline in the woods. It did came out in 2012 so it might fit your timeline.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Could it be this movie: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2363219/?ref_=ttmi_tt (The Rotterdam Bombing)?

I haven't seen it so I don't know if it includes scenes of Dutch soldiers in a trenchline in the woods. It did came out in 2012 so it might fit your timeline.
nope sorry Hennie! I can't remember the name but that wasn't it. it was more like someone mentioned the Danish April 9th movie except it was about you stupid windmill/tulip making Dutch! oh well, at least yer not Belgian! 🥳🤪👍

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Belgians are the strongest men who trod the earth, after Danes. They just give everyone a fair chance and fight at 10% power. D63F09CD-4967-4F71-A703-26B06E23CA6F.jpeg

Pic related is weakest Belgian.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree. I also like all things Nordic, especially Danes. Early war is weird too. All of those long coats and archaic doctrine against the Germans who seem so advanced, but in only four years it will be the Germans who are old hat.

It’s tricky to show how the Danes weren’t bad soldiers but that they still didn’t have the doctrine or the weapons to win. It would be really great if they made a movie about the US 99th battalion of Norwegians.
Interesting story about when they were finally relieved from their surrounded position during "The Bulge". Because of their heavy Scandanavian accents some of them were detained as potential German Operation Greif members. They would end the war attached to what was left of the 1st SSF.

Attachments

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting story about when they were finally relieved from their surrounded position during "The Bulge". Because of their heavy Scandanavian accents some of them were detained as potential German Operation Greif members. They would end the war attached to what was left of the 1st SSF.
1st SSF (US/Canadian) or 1st SSB (British)?

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
I really only know of them in the Normandy campaign and later for being drawn to those spy units and stuff. I’m sure there are plenty of scenarios with them, especially for Normandy.