3) Lords of Discipline
4) Patton the early years
5) Stalag 17 ( made in the 50 I think )
6) Taps

tsar

Reaction score
In no particular order.

1) Zulu Dawn
2) Tora Tora Tora (much better then Pearl Harbor)
3) The Longest Day.
4) The Battle of Britain.
5) Pork Chop Hill

Panzer

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My 5,

1. Tora Tora Tora
2. Full Metal Jacket
3. Das Boot
4. Force 10 From Navarone
5. Apocalypse Now: Redux

pp(est)

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
5. Das Boot
4. Full metal jacket
3. Tora Tora Tora
2. Saving Private Ryan
1. A bridge too far

Honorable mention Band of Brothers - not part of the list because it isn't a movie

Coldfiregod

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
5: Men At War (Korean war movie)
4: A Bridge To Far
3: Patton
2: Zulu
1: A Walk in the Sun (WWII very good made in 1943 I think)

Depending on my mood the order will change and so will the movies. Top 5 is to hard to pick. I could do a top 20.

Reaction score
Just thought of one more that's pretty good, "Tumbledown" about the Falklands War, a conflict there have been few movies about.

SGT Long

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I used to like force 10...Until I got older and noticed how all the German equipment was Soviet,right down to the tanker's helmets
the crew is wearing when they ditch their T-34 on the bridge.

Call me cynical,But I notice that Tito's communists are given "heroic" status in the film. I cant help but wonder if a free hand with the script was the price payed for Yugo military equpment and location shooting.

mediator11

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My best

1. Zulu
2. We were soldiers once
3. A bridge too far
4. Black Hawk Done
5. Band of Brothers

I know last one was not a movie, but never the less a great war production

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
"Tumbledown" was a 2-part BBC production based on the true story of a British soldier (I forget his name) who was seriously injured in the final land battle of the Falklands War in 1982.

Historically - Mount Tumbledown was one of several high points that overlooked the capital of the Falkland Isles, Port Stanley. The British Army needed to secure it in order that the town would be cut off by land, and effectively surrounded with the Royal Navy fleet out to sea.

The battle for Mount Tumbledown was initiated overnight by British troops who had fought and walked their way across East Falkland from their beachhead at San Carlos Water on the far side of the island. The action was part of a combined arms attack on all of the high points overlooking Port Stanley. The intention was that once the mountains had been taken overnight, artillery would then be helicoptered up to the peaks to support a final push on Stanley. As it happens, once the Argentines realised the hopelessness of their situation, they surrendered the next morning.

The soldier in question was amongst those who fought their way to the top of the mountain in a vicious night battle - often involving hand-to-hand combat as they broke through the Argentine defences. They had just reached the summit when an enemy soldier shot him in the head.

When he was taken to the Field Hospital, the surgeons basically wrote him off for dead since about a quarter of his brain was missing from the grievous head wound. He was left on a stretcher in the corner of the tent for over two hours in extreme pain whilst the Army surgeons treated those with less serious injuries - as you would expect, they were trying to save as many lives as possible and they figured that they would be wasting time and effort if they treated this guy – so IIRC they never even gave him anything for the pain, they just didn’t expect him to live long.

When they came to look at him again - i.e. once circumstances permitted, they found that he was still alive and so they patched him up.

The amazing thing is that even with a huge chunk of his brain missing, he went on to live a completely normal life - apparently with no side effects.

The program that the BBC made was OK - but, typically for the period, had a somewhat left-wing bias to the storytelling (the BBC can be very anti-war when it wants to be).

It's definitely something I'd like to see again though.

Regards,

Dr. S.

Reaction score
Originally posted by Jim H. Moreno
I can't seem to find that 'Tumbledown', Lance. Got some more info on it?
If memory serves me it was a joint production of the BBC and A&E. Its been a while since its been aired. Looks like Dr. S.'s memory is better than mine.

I remember one detail that the cold weather conditions helped save the soldier's life. Hypothermia set in and kept him from bleeding to death. A bit melodramatic but a pretty good movie.

If you want more details on the battle Max Hastings' book about the war is quite good.

Reaction score
Originally posted by Doctor Sinister
I went and looked up Tumbledown on IMDB.com, according to them it was just a BBC production, which certainly tallies with my memory.

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0098533/

There are some reviews there as well, which will undoubtedly be better than my own half-remembered flashbacks.

Dr. S.
I guess A&E picked it up for US consumption. I checked the web site you listed. I completely forgot it was Colin Firth who played the lead. I guess it may have been one of his earliest starring roles.

kast06

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
my opinion

5 full metle jacket
4 saving private ryan
3 band of brothers
2 tora tora tora
1 platoon

Reaction score
AMC's Vote III

The other day on AMC:

The Frogmen
The Halls of Montezuma
Zulu
Von Ryan's Express
Patton
The Bridges at Toko-Ri

Every couple of weeks they'll have a whole day of war flicks, this was one of their better line ups.

Audiemurphy7

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Five Best Movies

Here are mine:

1. Kelly's Hero's
2. Hell is for Hero's
3. Battle of the Bulge
4. Patton
5. Dirty Dozen

Killer Joker

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
best war movies

The best movies that depicts war have got to be

1. BLACK HAWK DOWN

2. Saving Private Ryan

3. Band of Brothers

4. Braveheart

5. Tora Tora Tora (Only problem with it is that it doesn't really show how the attack impacted the people in Pearl Harbor. It would've been nice to see some blood and guts. For its blood and guts value I would say that Pearl Harbor was a good movie and worthy of the number five spot; however, the love story was just too much of the movie.)

I choose newer movies because of their abilities to show the horrors of war, unlike older movies such as "a bridge too far" or "Patton" or even "Dirty Dozen". All great movies outright but just not showing enough. We'll leave the clean movies for the woman and children.

:toast:

Now on the the most boring war movie ever created......:sleep:
(hey wake up I know that its a boring movie but at least let me anounce it)
Its a tie between:
APOCALYPSE NOW
and
The Thin Red Line

(okay you can go back to sleep now...)
:sleep: :sleep: :drool: :drool: