The Five Best War Movies Ever

GhostSoldier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
War movies

Yeah I watch "War Stories" from time to time. One movie I'd like to mention. "Operation:Daybreak" I've only seen about the last half of it, but it's supposed to be about a partisan assassination
of a German officer in Czechoslovakia during WW2. The end is truly gripping. The Germans try to route out the small team that is holed up in a cathedral. Many Germans die trying to get those guys. If it really happened that way, one's mind would have to be boggled, trying to comprehend the action. I'm out for the day.

GhostSoldier.

Boar

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Re: Dorosh on the Welch (sic)

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh
You may be Welsh, but I'm sure your ancestors were Welch...
This may be a pun I don't get. Or is it an insult?

I know you were being facetious, but STALINGRAD was a perfect example of a movie getting haircuts and facial hair 100 percent accurate. CROSS OF IRON is a perfect example of how not to do it.
This statement is pretty bizarre. I saw both movies and can't remember hair being much of an issue. How does one crewcut or self-cut hairdo vary that much? In other words, what facts do you base this on? Personal knowledge?

I only bring it up because you proclaimed ZULU to be quote "one of the most authentic war movies ever made." unquote I don't happen to agree it was anything of the kind.
Having read "The Washing of the Spears" I would beg to differ. As far as the facts and the way the action developed, along with the tactics used, it's about as perfect as can be. Again, what facts do you base this on, or is it just personal opinion?

I'm prejudiced -- I love that movie.

Someone else mentioned "The Sand Pebbles." That's another great movie! If you want to call only movies that contain war all the time "war movies," then I suppose you wouldn't include it along with all other movies set in the historical time period with a few battle scenes set in them. For example, the Russian version of War and Peace would fail the critieria (lots of long talks and domestic scenes). Which is absurd, because the Russian Army was recruited to depict the massive battle scenes -- a truly awesome sight (and remember no CGI in those days)! The DVD set is well worth it.

Reaction score
Hey Boar, thanks for the backup on "Zulu". I certainly took Dorosh's remarks as an insult after I tried to give him the benefit of a typo. I'd also second "The Sand Pebbles" as a great movie, one of the few to deal with an interwar or quasiwar period. They even got the early (non-bipod) BAR right.

GhostSoldier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
More Favorites: War/ Military Action

Zulu is good.
Braveheart.
Memphis Belle.
Full Metal Jacket (Best late 80's VietNam flick, just for the
dialouge.).
Does Starship Troopers count?
How come nobodys mentioned, `Boys in Co. "C" '?

GhostSoldier.

Hinton6969

Recruit
Reaction score
Re: More Favorites: War/ Military Action

Originally posted by GhostSoldier
Zulu is good.
Braveheart.
Memphis Belle.
Full Metal Jacket (Best late 80's VietNam flick, just for the
dialouge.).
Does Starship Troopers count?
How come nobodys mentioned, `Boys in Co. "C" '?

GhostSoldier.
I liked starship troopers because I watched it as with World War One in mind. Sounds silly, but there are some parallels, I swear.

That landing on the planet and the Somme.... Again silly, but wasn't that movie based on a big Sci-fi book written with anti-war sentiments?

cpgor

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How about The Red badge of courage,To Hell and Back, The Big red One, The Patriot, and Spartacus

Reaction score
AMC's Vote II

AMC's 2/12/04 lineup includes some vote getters......."Sahara"........"the Longest Day"........"Von Ryan's Express"

GhostSoldier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
More movies.

Okay, somebody stop me. Can't help myself. I'm such a movie junkie. Forgot about The Big Red One. Good one. Based on Sam Fuller's WW2 experiences. Siege Of Firebase Gloria, my 2nd favorite 80's `Nam flick. Starship Troopers was a sci-fi novel, written by Robert Heinlen, ex- Naval officer. But,

The Hunt for Red October. Crimson Tide. (hey, it wasn't a hot war, it was a "cold" war.)

The Enemy Below. ( favorite cat-and-mouse, who's the hunter, who's the hunted, sub movie.)

Zeppelin.(WW1 espionage-intrigue w/ Michael York. a 70's flick.)

Red Ball Express. (WW2. The US Army is segregated. Black's aren't
allowed in frontline, combat units. Patton's army is stalled, needing supplies. Black supply personnel speed thru pockets, to resupply the main offensive.)

Anybody seen Beach Red?
GhostSoldier.

Reaction score
Re: AMC's Vote II

Originally posted by Lance Williams
AMC's 2/12/04 lineup includes some vote getters......."Sahara"........"the Longest Day"........"Von Ryan's Express"
I saw the tail end of "Von Ryan's Expess" last night. It had to have some of the WORST Me-109 mock ups ever to be filmed......

Napoleon

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
My favorite films are:
1.All Quiet on The Western Front
2. A Bridge to Far
3. ZULU ( One of the all time greats.)
4. Das Boot
5. The Great Escape
6. TORA TORA TORA
7.Patton
8.Master and Commander
9.Star Wars
10. Gettysburg
11. Hamburger Hill
12. 55 Days in Peking ( This is very good.)
13. Enenmy at the Gates
14. Battle of Britain
15. Red October

Oops, I'm already over five.

GhostSoldier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What's the one where Frank Sinatra and his bud's get brainwashed by the Chinese during Korea? Spooky. GS. Can't remember the name, but maybe I'll just play some solitaire and that'll help me remember.

Napoleon

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Originally posted by GhostSoldier
What's the one where Frank Sinatra and his bud's get brainwashed by the Chinese during Korea? Spooky. GS. Can't remember the name, but maybe I'll just play some solitaire and that'll help me remember. [/QUOTE

Its called the Manchurian Candiadate I beleive. I never saw it all but what I did see of it was really good.

Doggie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It had to have some of the WORST Me-109 mock ups ever to be filmed......
Actually they were very authenic Bf-108 trainers. Called "Taifun", They were the German equivalent of the T-6 Texan trainer, and were relatively common in the early 1960's, in addition to their service with the Luftwaffe. It is entirely possible the odd train was attacked by rocket firing Bf-108s.

Look familiar? This example is wearing Swiss Air Force markings, but an image search will find several in Luftwaffe camoflage that I couldn't get to appear here as anything but a little red "x".

There was a lot of discussion about The Manchurian Candidate in the sixties. It was thought Lee Harvey Oswald was playing with a full deck after all.

Irreverent

Reaction score
What happened to:

Kelly's Heros?
or
Cross of Iron?

Take a good look at that Soviet Mech assualt.
Then ask yourself if YOU would have hung around.

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
Re: Napoleon's Favorites

Originally posted by Lance Williams
Glad to see another fan of "Zulu"
Yup, Zulu does it for me too - especially in terms of showing what looks to be correct small unit tactics of the late 19th Century.

sepheroth

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What was that one movie they showed on the history channel awhile back about the tuskagee airmen? that was a very good movie.