The Five Best War Movies Ever

Joined
Jan 21, 2004
Messages
421
Reaction score
1
Location
Fairfax, Va
Originally posted by Janos
How 'bout some great war movie quotes?

"You ask me to place my trust in the Poles? Put your trust in your sword and the sword in the Poles!" '-- Taras Bulba

"I brought you into the world. It is on me to take you out." -- ditto

"I am not your pappy, you redneck peckerwood." -- MAJ Dundee

"Me. I am significant here." -- A Bridge Too Far

"Freedom!" -- Braveheart

Send more!
I'd forgotten about "Major Dundee"..... I always liked that movie since seeing it at a drive-in as a kid in the "60's.

It touches on two often overlooked parts of history. The use of repatriated "galvanized rebels" into the Union army to fight Indians on the frontier and the French occupation of Mexico under Maximillion.

I don't know how factual it is about the Union forces following the Apaches into Mexico and encountering the French, but it is a pretty cool flick. I especially like the "baby howitzer" for the horse artillery.
 

Janos

Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2004
Messages
355
Reaction score
0
Location
Combat Military Training Center, Hohenfels, Bavari
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Lance Williams
I'd forgotten about "Major Dundee"..... I always liked that movie since seeing it at a drive-in as a kid in the "60's.
It touches on two often overlooked parts of history. The use of repatriated "galvanized rebels" into the Union army to fight Indians on the frontier and the French occupation of Mexico under Maximillion.
I don't know how factual it is about the Union forces following the Apaches into Mexico and encountering the French, but it is a pretty cool flick. I especially like the "baby howitzer" for the horse artillery.
Well, you have to interpret "war movie" pretty loosely to get "Major Dundee" into the category. I figured it was about guys wearing uniforms and would give it a shot.

There aren't many facts to it. To the best of my knowledge, there were no US prison camps holding CS prisoners in Texas (a CS state) during the war, which I think is the premise of the movie. I also don't think those guys were galvanized, since they served in Confederate uniforms under their own chain of command -- I recall that it was just that MAJ Dundee was desperate and willing to use anyone he could get his hands on to kill indians and Mexicans. I admit that I haven't seen it in a coon's age and usually I can't even remember having a memory, let alone actually use the thing.;)
 
Joined
Jan 21, 2004
Messages
421
Reaction score
1
Location
Fairfax, Va
Originally posted by Janos
Well, you have to interpret "war movie" pretty loosely to get "Major Dundee" into the category. I figured it was about guys wearing uniforms and would give it a shot.

There aren't many facts to it. To the best of my knowledge, there were no US prison camps holding CS prisoners in Texas (a CS state) during the war, which I think is the premise of the movie. I also don't think those guys were galvanized, since they served in Confederate uniforms under their own chain of command -- I recall that it was just that MAJ Dundee was desperate and willing to use anyone he could get his hands on to kill indians and Mexicans. I admit that I haven't seen it in a coon's age and usually I can't even remember having a memory, let alone actually use the thing.;)
How can you say its not a war movie, its four war movies in one. The Union Vs. the Confederacy, The Yank/Reb/Civilian alliance Vs. the Apache, the Mexicans Vs. the French and the Alliance Vs. the French.

Maybe the CSA prisoners weren't technically "galvanized", since they only agreed to fight until the renegade was "killed or captured". Major Dundee enlisted not only prisoners, but civilians as well to hunt the Apache (he was not hunting Mexicans:nonono: )

I don't know if such hodgepodge force ever really existed, but I still like the way it showed how prewar friendships were divided and how importantant the expatriot Irish were to both sides in the ACW.

Also its one of very few movies to even mention the French occupation of Mexico. The only true affront to the Monroe Doctrine. About the only other one I can think of is "Two Mules for Sister Sara".

Plus James Colburn is pretty cool as the one armed scout, the soundtrack was good ("Follow the Major") and there's always that "baby howitzer".
 

Janos

Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2004
Messages
355
Reaction score
0
Location
Combat Military Training Center, Hohenfels, Bavari
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Lance Williams
How can you say its not a war movie, its four war movies in one. The Union Vs. the Confederacy, The Yank/Reb/Civilian alliance Vs. the Apache, the Mexicans Vs. the French and the Alliance Vs. the French.
But altho' it has a few guys wearing the uniforms of the USA, CSA, and Mexican Empire (or whatever they called it when Max ran the place), there is little relation to history, IMHO.

It's more of a western with uniforms than a war movie.
 
Joined
Jan 21, 2004
Messages
421
Reaction score
1
Location
Fairfax, Va
Originally posted by Janos
But altho' it has a few guys wearing the uniforms of the USA, CSA, and Mexican Empire (or whatever they called it when Max ran the place), there is little relation to history, IMHO.

It's more of a western with uniforms than a war movie.
I'm not saying its historically accurate, but there were border clashes with the occupying French in Mexico.

The only reason the French were confident enough to flaunt the Monroe Doctrine and occupy Mexico is because the ACW was in full swing when they took over in 1863. If the US had not been fighting itself the French would never have entered.

It is highly likely that if the Mexicans had not overthrown Maximillian in 1867 the now at peace US government would have envoked the Monroe Doctrine done so.
 

RichardS

Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2004
Messages
260
Reaction score
0
Location
Lost in the wilds of Georgia
Country
llUnited States
My 5 favorite War Movies.

Gettysburg
Tora Tora Tora!
A Bridge to Far
Longest Day
Gods & Generals tie Battleground

Honourable Mention
Der Brucke
Das Boot
Winter War
Dem Stern von Afrika
Dambusters
Battle of Britain
Glory
Horse Soldiers
Sink the Bismarck
Battleship Potemkin

Dishonourable Mention
Pearl Harbor
Wind Talkers
Enemy at the Gates


Cheers!
:toast:

:horse:
 

JDS8072

Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2004
Messages
365
Reaction score
1
Location
The Republic Of Texas
Country
llUnited States
My Favorites

Ok here are my favorites in no particular order


Zulu
The Desert Rats
Platoon
Black Hawk Down
We Were Soldiers
The Lost Batallion
When Trumpets Fade
 

Napoleonic Fury

Recurit
Joined
Feb 9, 2004
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Country
llUnited States
My top 5 war movie picks are:

We Were Soldiers

Deer Hunter, way better than apocolapse now

Gods and Generals

The Patriot

Braveheart

There are a few movies that are arguably great but with so manywar movies on different periods of warfare, it is really hard to pick the five that are the best.
 

Napoleonic Fury

Recurit
Joined
Feb 9, 2004
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Country
llUnited States
Five worst war movies:

Thin Red Line

Battle of the Bulge, bad quality

Apocalypse Now; I dont know why, I just hate this movie.

Tears of the Sun

Heartbreak Ridge

:(
 

RichardS

Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2004
Messages
260
Reaction score
0
Location
Lost in the wilds of Georgia
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Napoleonic Fury
Five worst war movies:

Battle of the Bulge, bad quality
Bulge did have its good points. Such as the singing of Panzer Leid!!

And seeing real M-47s and M-24s were nice.

*thinks*

I think that is it. :laugh:


Cheers!
:toast:


:horse:
 

PvtManaCoB3MD

Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2004
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
Location
St. Louis, Missouri,
Country
ll
Wow, I got into this thread late......but anyhoo.....

1. Zulu
2. Gettysburg (even with the bad beards)
3. Patton
4. Battle of Britain
5. The Hunt for Red October
6. Saving Private Ryan



It's really hard to make a top list for war films, there's so many great ones. One though, that I don't think was mentioned....Thirteen Days, about the Cuban Missile Crisis....not exactly a war film, but a good movie
 
Top