The Finns are too strong

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
One thing to pay attention to is the entrance area for the Soviet heavy tanks. It is not just the east edge. If you read it so, you add an unnecessary extra hurdle. For that reason I like to do the joint reading aloud of the SSRs, setup areas and VC at the start of the scenario, especially at tournaments.

JR

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
More can go wrong for the Finns, but that's often true of anyone on the defense.
When I defended (I have now played this scenario once as each side), the first BT-42 had a bead on the Soviet ZSU-37. It turned and fired HEAT. Eleven: miss, and Low Ammo. Ok, the second shot has got to be better. Eleven: miss, and going home. The second BT-42 was across the board (despite their being radioless, I had not set them up together). It took me three or four turns of stalling and failed radioless NTCs before I finally got the thing into position. However, once it was in position (defending the middle factory from back), it performed well enough, including a 1KIA on a stack of two 6-2-8s. I eventually killed the ZSU-37 with a MOL, but it took a lot of work including an illegal shot (which missed) across an orchard hexside.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
If one stays up wind the Finns are not very strong at all.
"1. EC are Moderate, with no wind at start."

Wind, especially early wind, would not be good for the Finns.

JR

Last edited:

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
I loke having a nation we can always default to as OP, even though the new changes are supposed to fix it. If it has to be someone, Finland is a good choice. I've honestly played them very little :eek: BV pretty much covers my Finn experience

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
I would take the Russians any time. Sure, they Flame Tanks can be a little dicey, but once they cross the river, it is tough sledding for the Finns.
I agree and would also take the Reds any time. I found this old pic on my phone when purging unwanted stuff, and it brought the game back to mind. I exited 2 AFV, and got 4 of 5 needed Factory hexes to go along with them. This pic was after the final CC roll. o22U1 did have a Fanatic 6-2-8 that made it in past a 12-flat, 6-flat, 8-flat, and 4-flat, before finally 6,6ing an NMC on an additional 12-flat. Much closer than it seemed actually...the Russians rolled Gusts on the very first WCDR(!!!), the *76 ART never had Smoke from its first shot, and 2 Churchills Malf'd their MA on their first shot (after repairing one, I never fired Churchill MAs for the rest of the scenario). The minimal consolation prize was the Finnish *76L AA Malfing on its first shot! After that hellacious start, it still came down to the end.....great scenario, btw.

IMG_20170622_112035_004.jpg

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another Mazzie / Struijf miracle! This is my favorite scenario in this Journal.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Reading this thread, I stopped and asked Diana if she put something in my brownie dessert.

I would take the Finns every time in the scenario. Played it twice and I like the design and flow of this realistic late war bridge crossing scenario.

This has been a good thread, I agree with most of the above threads. My thoughts:

1. The Finns are strong enough to minimally contest and slow down all three of the bridge crossings. Then their greater nationality characteristics should result in about a 75% win rate {ROAR has it 16 - 8 currently).

2. I agree with the poster above that scenario designers can always balance out these natural advantages (IE see the PIF guns/tanks with nice cannister ratings). The "new" nationality sets must cause designers some head scratching to incorporate these strong features into an OB.

2. Peter's suggestion for attack is spot on. Smoke, intensive smoke, AFV smoke, infantry smoke and then human wave across a bridge. It is your best chance to cross and gain time and space needed to combat the tough Finns in stone buildings. Not played against this approach.

A good tourney scenario with ABS.

Rich

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I would take the Finns every time in the scenario.
Will you be at ASLOK this year? I have been looking for someone to take the Finns against me. I told Scott I could make a three-bridge attack work (in another thread I think), and I would like to see if I can do it.

JR

MajorDomo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes I am going to ASLOK this year, albeit a bit shorter than usual. David Goldman and I will be driving out on Monday, driving back on Saturday.

So Tuesday would be a fine time to test my Finn defense, which is already done on VASL for my last playing. You can choose morning or afternoon as I would also like to play with the Italian Stallion, Andrea Pagni, in a scenario sometime Tuesday. Monday early evening would also be a possibility as the drive from Chicago is about 5.5 hours.

It is a cool scenario and should be fun, I assume by your previous posts that your Russians would not need the balance as mine would go begging for.

Rich

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
* TA-DAAH *

The ASL Gods have granted your Once-In-A-Lifetime-Wish. Most people would have used it to have consequence-free carnal relations with any celebrity of their choice, or perhaps to gain everlasting weath and comfort, but I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice.
Where's Scarlett Johansson when you need her?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
So Tuesday would be a fine time to test my Finn defense, which is already done on VASL for my last playing. You can choose morning or afternoon as I would also like to play with the Italian Stallion, Andrea Pagni, in a scenario sometime Tuesday. Monday early evening would also be a possibility as the drive from Chicago is about 5.5 hours.
Alas I probably won't be out until Wednesday at the earliest.

JR

MajorDomo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK, well I plan to play in minis, maybe after an early mini exit.

Rich