The fine line of Honor Rules

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Dicke Bertha said:
So now I also know what an 'artillery whore' is... :nervous:

edit: in reference to the thread title, not to any post, I picked it up from another player who let me in on the nasty secret...
What is an artillery whore?
I hope I have not done anything wrong in my Braunshweig opening :eek: .

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
No no Rasmus, certainly not- and I am sending you my turn later today. I heard (not experienced) that an artillery whore is someone who lets his artillery pound the enemy after the turn has ended... by cancelling the save or something.

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Dicke Bertha said:
No no Rasmus, certainly not- and I am sending you my turn later today. I heard (not experienced) that an artillery whore is someone who lets his artillery pound the enemy after the turn has ended... by cancelling the save or something.
Good, good. :halo:

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Dicke Bertha said:
Ah. I call those people something else.

Cheaters.

:mad:

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yes, they are cheaters.
And it is very obvious when they do that which makes it even worse. Damn cheaters.

Does anybody play on-line first person shooters? (i.e. Counter-strike?)

They cheat too and it sucks when you try play as honest and as well as you can.

Foggy

Reaction score
Maybe I've been lucky to date - the worst I've seen/heard is the
very rare undo sound - maybe once/twice since I've started playing ACOW :D

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Foggy, when playing you I have seen a lot of units evaporate, probably more than against anyone else. You push forward like a madman! Those replays are really really entertaining, the stacks just jump and shrink like mad, and often there will be nothing left! :laugh: :laugh: You're the Demolition Man! :thumup:

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I've done an undo before.
I will undo if I make a clicking mistake, Dig in rather than tactical. Also when the menu comes up on the left side rather than the right, I have clicked and units have moved by mistake.
I think i have always informed my opponent of any situation of that sort. As long as it's an honest mistake and you don't benefit from it, strategically, I think it's ok. I've heard some and let them go because it had no effect on the battles.

Kraut

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
On the undo case: I probably have several more undos in my turn than other players, only because of the simple fact that I use a german keyboard. On a german keyboard the Z and Y keys are switched and our Z (undo) is right next to the U (unit info) which I use pretty often. Well, and from time to time it happens that I press Z without meaning to perform an undo at all.

nemo

-. . -- ---
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Even though I do not indulge in undos (what is done is done), there may be more silent ways to perform free recon. After all, if someone wants to perform free recon, the easiest way is to open and open again the turn sent - this doesn't make any sound in the replay. I do think most undos are keyboard/typing/right-clicking mishaps without malevolent intentions (and let's not forget cats, kids and coffee mugs ;)).

I have had very very few undos anyway that I noticed in my opponents' turns, too few and of too little consequence to really care.

tigersqn

WWII Forum Staff
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I only use undo when I pushed the wrong button.
i.e. Move the whole stack instead of just 1 unit.

Tiberius

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CyberGeneral said:
Undo = Free Recon....... Right???
I use undo because fairly often (on the big scenarios sometimes 2 or 3 times per game) simply because of frequent misclicking. Usually it doesn't do me any good because I already took some action between what I wanted to undo so it's just a useless annoying thing to make someone wonder if I'm cheating. Once I used undo to undo something my 22 mo. boy did sitting in my lap. I was considering a move and he reached down and right clicked!
The thing is I _never_ use undo if I gained any recon from the move or if I tried to disengage and couldn't etc. I just put up with the mis-clicks in those cases.

JoeBob

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mouse errors happen...

I don't take "undo's" personally, unless they are constant and seem to result in the other player benefitting from the change in decision. The bigger the scenario the more likely it's going to happen.

Actually if a player never ever does an "undo" then either they play their turn carefully and save often (the smart way to play for big scenarios), or they could be using the "save and reload" option (illegal), so that you never see a ripple on the pond... :nervous:

Guess it's never been a big issue to me.

The bottom line is that in TOAW people can cheat. If you feel that you are playing a cheater, than call them on it, resign, or whatever, and vow never to seek them out to play again.

The cheating issue can be an issue in tourneys, since you don't get to choose your opponent, but my experience has been that virtually all the players out there are playing for fun and "honor", and that cheaters really just cheat themselves.

One day Norm will be back working on this wonderful game (somehow), and bring it closer to perfection. :hail:

Now that I think about it, I've gotten more multiplay out of this game than the Civilization series, Doom/Quake, HalfLife/Counterstrike, Close Combat/ Combat Mission, and even Alien Crossfire (some of the most intense one on one ever).

And it's a WarGame!

Pretty amazing, really! :cheeky:

Baiqi

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Human make mistakes, so some degree of tolerance is required. After all, this is a GAME, so don't take it toooooo seriously, or you won't have fun playing it.

And, play somebody you feel good to play with.