The exciting world of overlay storage

hershmeister

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I store mine ina a 3 ring binder using zipped pouches which hold overlays, with different types of overlays in different pouches. I place the small overlays in small zip bags and then they reside in the zip pouches. This way they dont go flying out when you open a pouch.

I bought these at Office MAx for 99 cents each. I think they were call zipped pencil cases possibly.

Big props to the Unikeep idea - thats nice - do the overlays come out of the page protectors at all? Too bad they dont have wider distribution yet.

Barryrk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've always hated overlays and scenarios using them,therefor I've never cut them out. Since buying a color scanner, I now just print them onto cardstock (I was afraid to ruin them with a bad cut-now I don't care, I'll just print another. works for me. I have a lot of overlay using scenarios to catch up on.:D

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
So I bought a photo album (the 'magnetic' kind, with the cellophane flaps that fold over the tacky cardboard) thinking it would be a good way to store my overlays. There's two problems with it. One, it's not big enough to hold the large overlays, like the ocean overlays, the rice paddies, etc. It was the biggest one they had, except for a big-ass wedding album with pinks bows and crap on it. Two, the overlays slide out. You would think they would stay nicely in place, like a photo. Nope. The small ones especially go flying right out when I move it. Not enough surface area.

So how is the best way to store overlays?
For the smaller overlays I use pocket pages intended for baseball cards and similar sized items. For medium overlays I use pocket pages intended for CDs/DVDs. For large overlays I use regular page protectors. All available at your local office supply store. The page protectors for large overlays doesn't work quite as well as the other two, but as long as you don't flip the notebook upside down and shake it, no problem so far.

JR

applecatcher4

Reaction score
Country
ll
I just keep mine loose in an empty (except for overlays) Partisan box. They don't take long to find.

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Surprised to see this old thread dug out (Roger must have been bored today :laugh:), but I enjoyed reading the old responses again, along with the new ones.

Storage-wise, overlays are still the bugaboo of the system. Mine are still in ziplock baggies in an old module box. I looked for one of those plano/binder combo dealies that Derek posted at a couple places here in town a year or so ago but came up empty.

Barry, I found that using a ruler, xacto knife, and cutting board worked well for cutting them out (better than scissors), although I can't say I did a perfect job of it even then.

Bulwyf

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I store mine in a 3-ring binder using the magnetic/static photo album pages. The cardstock they are made out of is nice and rigid and have the benefit of being acid-free. For the larger overlays I put them in sheet protectors.

I like to see the art on the overlays so in order to mark which overlays are on the sheet (or in the page protector) I include a small piece of paper with a list of the overlays written in pencil. This way I can easily see if an overlay is missing and it makes it easy to add in new overlays.

I like the Unikeep idea a lot. I may upgrade my overlay binder to one. Thanks.

-Will

Loquitor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: post-it note tape

Someone mentioned using post-it notes to stick an overlay to a page. 3M is way ahead of that--they have put the post-it note glue on cellophane tape in a roll. I use this to store my overlays and to play with them. I will need to laminate them one day, to prevent possible.discoloration from the glue.
What is the product called? I cannot find this on the 3M website or my local Staples

Loquitor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: My method

UNIKEEP BABY!

The best way I’ve found for my personal overlay storage http://www.unikeep.com

Here is the 1.5” View Case Binder in action. Note that when the binder is closed nothing can slide out. Regular Poly page protectors are used for the overlays. Plus you can add your favorite ASL picture or image to the front loading, wrap around, slide-in pocket binder cover; in my case it’s a cut down DASL map sheet.

It’s cheap, lays flat and the binder comes in all kinds of sizes

Well....I ordered two of these today.....still trying to get everything in its proper place........Does ever really happen with ASL?

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For those of you thinking of using the 3-ring binder method of storage, Staples is currently clearing out their 1.5-inch zipper binders for $2.50.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I don't know if it's been mentioned but if you laminate the overlays then you can blu-tack them to A4 sheets and place them in page protectors with a list of the overlays on the sheet. It makes finding them a dodddle.

jonPhillips

Reaction score
Country
ll
Overlays, schmoverlays...

The best method by far is to leave all your overlays uncut, in the modules they came in (thus maximising resale value to the stupid collectors) and simply set up the boards you require for a scenario, with overlays, using VASL.

Dump a screenie of the board setup, import to your favourite graphics program (ie: Photoshop), print in colour, lay under a plexiglass sheet and, in the words of Gordon Ramsey... DONE

This method has the added advantages of being able to incorporate all manner of other terrain mods, like changing Grain to L1 hills etc etc with no leaps of imagination - and all the associated errors implied by that - required.

Why would you do anything else?

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For the overlays I've cut out so far, the ones small enough to fit go into coin envelopes, which then get carted around in collectible card pages in the front of my chapter H binder. One envelope for woods one for grain etc.