Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
What would you call massive area and fire-bombing of German and Japanese cities then?
I would call that terrible means to wage war and I certainly would not consider mass bombing as not deserving an ethical negative judgement.
Still, I find it remarkable, that while the undoubted magnitude of actions beyond the contstraints of civilized warfare by Axis powers are readily pointed out, the question if such constraints might have been violated by Allied powers beyond the scope of not taking prisoners in a particular military operation or something comparable, is hardly ever raised.
I find that the question is raised quite often over here - unfortunately as a way to relativize the totalitarian criminal politics.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
A couple of points.
When the area bombing policy was implemented it was the only way for Britain to strike back at the axis. Politically they needed to show they were willing to sacrifice something to match the immolaton of the Soviet Union.

The effects were not fully known at the time and were thought to be more effective than they proved to be. Legitimate military targets are a grey area in total war. Factories and communication centres are going to be closer to civilians than military forces. The bombing did have an effect upon the mlitary ability to fight.

There was an element of revenge as well.

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
What would you call massive area and fire-bombing of German and Japanese cities then?
I agree that the firebombing of German and Japanese industrial centres was morally problematic and that massive civilian loss of life occurred.

I couldn't agree (and I don't think you're proposing) that the prosecution of the strategic bombing campaigns mean that we must equalise, as it were, the Western Allies and the Axis / Soviets. The Western Allies were fighting a defensive war, in defence of liberty, democracy and hearth and home. I note the treatment of German civilians during the occupation of West Germany, which was extremely benign, under the circumstances.

Regarding the spin-off discussion that followed:

As this is a wargamer's forum with ASL focusing on WW II in particular, one has to assume that its members should have at least an above average knowledge about that war compared to an average member of their respective nationality - which does not necessarily mean much.

Still, I find it remarkable, that while the undoubted magnitude of actions beyond the contstraints of civilized warfare by Axis powers are readily pointed out, the question if such constraints might have been violated by Allied powers beyond the scope of not taking prisoners in a particular military operation or something comparable, is hardly ever raised.

Please do not get me wrong: It is not my intention to sum up two sides of a bill - far from it.
But I do find it remarkable.

The reasons for this, particulary for Americans, lie probably in the fact, that their civilian population has not been subject on a large scale to war since the US Civil War. In fact, one could advance the argument that the US population has lost most memories of how it is to be on the sharp end of a war as a civilian. In Europe, almost every grandmother could tell to us grandchildren.

The one most vivid memory US civilians have of being "bombed" is 9/11. This time, there were US civilians on the sharp end large scale. I dare to raise the question for contemplation: Would it have made a difference for the survivors and bereaved if the terrorists had put forward some just cause? Would it have made a difference for any civilian survivors or bereaved if they had been targeted by indiscriminate bombing?

I leave that to be sorted out for anyone to himself.

Suffice it to assess, that those who have closer memories to being at the sharp end of war or atrocities, especially as civilians, might find a "game" scenario a bit too close to reality and thus tend to adhere to a tighter frame of ethics as a basis for such.

I think that neither the game of ASL as such nor the community would lose anything taking this into account.

von Marwitz
I think you raise interesting points, particularly in relation to the American cultural experience of war, as something which happens elsewhere, very far away.

That said, the UK's experience of war is more European. While occupation didn't occur (with the exception of a few strategically irrelevant and small islands off the French coast), the UK did experience, and prosecute, protracted campaigns of strategic bombing of industrial centres.

I think many people in the UK are happy to acknowledge that ethically questionable actions were performed by the military during the war. It was a 6 year period of Total War, after all, and at times the country's very existence was at risk. One can debate Dresden and the other bombings; the objectives, the degree to which vengeance was a motivation, etc. but I think few people would regard the civilian carnage as anything less than utterly regrettable.

However, what I can't stomach is the repreated assertion on these boards that during WWII all belligerents committed war crimes, therefore all are equally morally culpable.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
However, what I can't stomach is the repreated assertion on these boards that during WWII all belligerents committed war crimes, therefore all are equally morally culpable.
Ditto.
They just are a step awayy from saying that if Jews did not exist, there would not have been a genocide.
Thus, the Jews would be the true cause of nazi crimes.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Another aspect to consider in all this is the activities of the SOE and other resistance forces during WW2.
When it is known that small strikes that have no effect on the war will bring terrific reprisals down on the local population, can they be justified? It is noticeable that the effect of the heydrich murder and the huge reprisals that followed were expected and sought to a certain extent. Does this make the planners of the Heydrich murder complicit or responsible for those crimes? Indeed on the eastern front the policy was to provoke bitter reprisals to motivate the population against the invaders. Was this wrong, cynical or merely part of the total war philosophy?

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Another aspect to consider in all this is the activities of the SOE and other resistance forces during WW2.
When it is known that small strikes that have no effect on the war will bring terrific reprisals down on the local population, can they be justified? It is noticeable that the effect of the heydrich murder and the huge reprisals that followed were expected and sought to a certain extent. Does this make the planners of the Heydrich murder complicit or responsible for those crimes? Indeed on the eastern front the policy was to provoke bitter reprisals to motivate the population against the invaders. Was this wrong, cynical or merely part of the total war philosophy?
All those difficult questions never come up when the enemy are zombies.

Bugslayer

Reaction score
Delirium....dude just because I notice it is raining and bring it to your attention doesn't mean I like the rain! Not equating the various war crimes committed by the various nations that fought the war, just pointing out that no-one had clean hands in WW2. While the war crimes committed by the axis in WW2 or inexcusable and morally reprehensible, to continue to point them out without owning up to our own war crimes is as bad if not worse.
You find fire bombing Dresden morally problematic? I think it safe to say if you were there at the time you would have found it more than morally problematic, as did the women and children who were incinerated in that mess. Wrong is wrong, and winning doesn't erase that. Not only both sides were guilty of war crimes so were some of the neutrals who never fought in the war! The Swiss have paid for holding property stolen by the Nazis (IE Jewish wealth stashed there) Turkey played both sides, in Ireland many Irish embraced Nazi germany under the enemy of my enemy is my friend guise ( Stephan Hayes and Plan Kathleen)

I try very hard not to call out any other nations faults here due to the fact that there are various nations represented here, we all know our own history (or should), I am not a revisionist historian nor am I an apologist. The death camps and extermination squads were inexcusable. As were the Soviet gulugs and the Japanese prison camps, all of these were due to racial intolerence and revenge, a thing that will continue as long as we keep rehashing whose to blame and who did what. I had 2 friends who survived the American Japanese Interment camps, the stories they tell is one of starvation, beatings, lack of medical attention and death. The fact that this happened here in America strikes me deeply, I would hope the citizens of the various other countries represented here feel the same about the "morally problematic" parts of thier nations conduct.

But to transfer the morals of one political side or the other to a piece of cardboard is idiocy. Then I can't play the game at all because all sides violated the rules of War in WW2?....hurry up Soldiers of Negus, unless someone knows of some Ethiopian violations! totally absurd:laugh:

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Delirium....dude just because I notice it is raining and bring it to your attention doesn't mean I like the rain!
You are missing the point. You have repeatedly said it was raining everywhere. I'm saying no, that's misleading; there was torrential rain and flash flooding in Germany, Japan and the USSR, and light drizzle in the UK and USA.

I accept your bona fides that you are not an apologist. However, much of your commentary reads like an apologia. Perhaps you are simply unaware of the nuances of the historical discourse on these matters.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You are missing the point. You have repeatedly said it was raining everywhere. I'm saying no, that's misleading; there was torrential rain and flash flooding in Germany, Japan and the USSR, and light drizzle in the UK and USA.

I accept your bona fides that you are not an apologist. However, much of your commentary reads like an apologia. Perhaps you are simply unaware of the nuances of the historical discourse on these matters.
Nah, he's a product of the takeover of america's schools by the left and their cultural self-loathing, america-blaming/hating screed masked as 'keepin' it real'....plain and simple.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I agree - this would indeed be wrong. On the whole, there is no doubt whatsoever, that war crimes committed by Hitler's Germany and Stalin's Russia by far exceeded those comitted by the Western Allies.

However, each individual that has committed a war crime should be held equally responsible, no matter of his nationality, faith, etc. or if he was on the winning or losing side.

von Marwitz

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
However, each individual that has committed a war crime should be held equally responsible, no matter of his nationality, faith, etc. or if he was on the winning or losing side.
I agree.
Where there is a debate, is when a given ideology leads to massive criminal acts.
The North Korean political ideology and practice cannot be equated to democratical systems - even though you will find individuals commiting terrible crimes within the latter.

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
I absolutely agree.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok, so I'm guessing that most of you guys dont play scenarios with black SS counters, nor do you people play SS scenarios period because some of you feel your on a higher moral ground then the rest of us. So those of us whe do enjoy such historical persuits and do enjoy playing SS scenarios, are we wrong? When you buy and play for example FB, Berlin or CoS which are products chalked full of SS scenarios, will you play those or pass on them because it goes against your ethics?

Scott

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I agree that the firebombing of German and Japanese industrial centres was morally problematic and that massive civilian loss of life occurred.

I couldn't agree (and I don't think you're proposing) that the prosecution of the strategic bombing campaigns mean that we must equalise, as it were, the Western Allies and the Axis / Soviets. The Western Allies were fighting a defensive war, in defence of liberty, democracy and hearth and home. I note the treatment of German civilians during the occupation of West Germany, which was extremely benign, under the circumstances.
Indeed, we must not try to equalize collective guilt - see my previous post.

And indeed, (West) Germany was lucky for the Marshall-Plan to be implemented which did a lot to help the country to get back up on its feet. Of course we must keep in mind, that the reason for the economic help West Germany received after the war might not have been a begnin attitude as a primary motive - besides the Marshall-Plan, there was also the rival Morgenthau-Plan which called for thorough deindustialization of Germany and for turning the populace into petty farmers. As it turned out, the Western Allies realized the threat of the Russian ideology to themselves. They knew that after the displacement of millions of Germans during the last stages and after the war mainly by the Russians in the east, that the Germans might better be turned into allies vs. the Russians. After all, the Germans had proven to be tough opponents against unequal odds and their technical ingenuity was apparent. Luckily for the Germans - and the Western Allies for that matter - the decision to prefer the Marshall-Plan to the Morgenthau-Plan paid off.

As for individual guilt, it should be a different matter.

In real practice, however, that question is academic: What is not commonly known, even in Germany - German courts have no possibility to prosecute war crimes by Western Allies even if they had unquestionable proof. After the capitulation of Germany, all political and military authority went over to the victors. When Germany regained most of its sovereignity under the Treaty of Paris in 1954, in a side treaty the possibility to prosecute almost all war crimes by the allies during WW II had to be relinquished. Even when Germany regained full sovereignity in the 2 Plus 4 Treaty in 1990, the regulation of the side treaty remained in effect. To my knowledge, there has been no prosecution by the Western Allies committed by their military against Germans (and of course neither by the Russians).

So if soldiers of the Western Allies have committed war crimes against Germans, they will not be held responsible until they face the Lord.

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
All those difficult questions never come up when the enemy are zombies.
Or if you manage to convince your side, that your opponents are not of the same human nature as yourself but rather something like zombies, animals or whatever.

von Marwitz