The Ethics of Scenarios With SS

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
War is war, no matter how you cut it , the Art of War IS killing, both sides will always committ atrocities, just remember the side that is punished is almost always the side that loses. Asl is a game, killing in a board game is just that a game. I am a soldier, I have been in for 23 years, and I have seen the wreckage of war. I still play the game and many others, for you all just be thankful that the only killing you do is in a board game.......in my world my "game" is for real with the loser meeting their ancestors, so play the game till your hearts content and be thankfull you never have to experience it for real.

Shane

''I am not afraid of the one with my name on it......I will never feel it.. I am afraid of the one addressed to whom it may concern........

Grave yard humor from a Canadian Soldier.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
War is war, no matter how you cut it , the Art of War IS killing, both sides will always committ atrocities, just remember the side that is punished is almost always the side that loses. Asl is a game, killing in a board game is just that a game. I am a soldier, I have been in for 23 years, and I have seen the wreckage of war.
Would that mean that there can be no ethical measure between different behaviours?
I do agree that war is never clean and that you will find men on both sides committing atrocities linked to the phenomenon of war.
But there have also been ideologies which led to systematical crimes, which can be considered even worse than the "usual" (but still totally untolerable) war crimes.

Now, most of those major criminal behaviours did occur elsewhere than up front or during the heat of battle (e.g Einsatzgruppen, mass rapes by Soviet forces in Germany, genocidal entreprises, etc.).

Bugslayer

Reaction score
ethical measure depends on which side of the fence you are on doesn't it? American Japanese Interment camps, could you call that an idealology that led to systematic crimes? No one had totally clean hands in war, you do what it takes to win...period.

As far as not playing one group or another, absurd. It is a game, enjoy it, play to win, and use whatever it takes to win. If I'm SS I will massacre if it is called for, the same against them. But yea, I would have to say lining up to play some guy dressed out in SS uniform (or any for that matter) would make me wonder a bit.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
ethical measure depends on which side of the fence you are on doesn't it? American Japanese Interment camps, could you call that an idealology that led to systematic crimes? No one had totally clean hands in war, you do what it takes to win...period.
So, there is no difference between internment camps and extermination camps, with gas chambers and crematory ovens, organized for mass murder?
There is no difference between Western Allied prisoner treatment (usually within international conventions) and Japanese troops using prisoners for baionnet exercises, marching them to death, etc.?
I consider that there is a scale. Period.

Of course, there must be a critic of the actions of the "winnners", as war is never a clean affair.
Now, if the nazis had won the war, I am not sure that we would live in a world as free as the present one...

But yea, I would have to say lining up to play some guy dressed out in SS uniform (or any for that matter) would make me wonder a bit.
Well, if it can have an impact upon you, taking your words : "you do what it takes to win".:p

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi ya-

Swifty, you need to go play an SS scenario, I'll recommend one to ya: Mila 18

Great scenario and it has SS vs Partisans. Give it a try.

Scott

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I get so frustrated in real life at not being able to kill idiots that I jump at the chance to do it in a wargame. Give me Darth Vader and let me blow up a whole freakin' planet!

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Swifty, you need to go play an SS scenario
I don't mind playing an SS scenario.
I'll recommend one to ya: Mila 18
I only play scenarios which reasonably portray a historical situation.
To be clear, I don't mind playing Jewish resistance vs SS (or nazi) troops - such as Paole Zion.
As a friend of Israel, I do appreciate the fact that some Jews did fight for their freedom.
Mila 18, putting aside the fact that on that day, there was no event that sums up to an interesting tactical situtation, is too SSR heavy after my taste.
Great scenario and it has SS vs Partisans. Give it a try.
BTW, I did give Mila 18 a try at the beginning of my ASL gaming - but I didn't know that the historical description was bogus.
Shalom

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
No one had totally clean hands in war, you do what it takes to win...period.
Idiocy, I'm afraid.

During WWII the actions of the Germans, Japanese and Soviets were orders of magnitude beyond the constraints of civilised warfare. Outright execution of POWs on a massive scale and the slaughter of non-belligerents on a routine basis were not exercises practised by the Western Allies.

And those war crimes were not conducted to increase their chance of winning. Firstly, they were motivated by racial (Germany, Japan) ideologies or a desire for vengeance (USSR). Secondly, they were massively counterproductive, as they alienated potential ally civilian populations, gave their their enemies reason to fight to the bitter, bitter end, and consumed considerable resources.

Bugslayer

Reaction score
So, there is no difference between internment camps and extermination camps, with gas chambers and crematory ovens, organized for mass murder?
There is no difference between Western Allied prisoner treatment (usually within international conventions) and Japanese troops using prisoners for baionnet exercises, marching them to death, etc.?
I consider that there is a scale. Period.

Is there a difference between an interment camp and an extermination camp? To me indeed a very large one, to a person who died in one no they seem pretty much the same.
As I've said before I condone no war crimes...war in its own right is a crime against humanity. The only humane side on a war is the side that avoided it.

Of course, there must be a critic of the actions of the "winnners", as war is never a clean affair.
Now, if the nazis had won the war, I am not sure that we would live in a world as free as the present one...

I totally agree and wouldn't want to live in such a world. That said I'm not very impressed with the present one we have, are you?

Well, if it can have an impact upon you, taking your words : "you do what it takes to win".:p
Honestly ask yourself a question: Would you "bend" the rules. Would you violate a few human rights to avoid letting the Nazis rule the world? Thats what it took to win....losing would have been too horrible to imagine.

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No one had totally clean hands in war, you do what it takes to win...period.
Idiocy, I'm afraid.

During WWII the actions of the Germans, Japanese and Soviets were orders of magnitude beyond the constraints of civilised warfare. Outright execution of POWs on a massive scale and the slaughter of non-belligerents on a routine basis were not exercises practised by the Western Allies.

And those war crimes were not conducted to increase their chance of winning. Firstly, they were motivated by racial (Germany, Japan) ideologies or a desire for vengeance (USSR). Secondly, they were massively counterproductive, as they alienated potential ally civilian populations, gave their their enemies reason to fight to the bitter, bitter end, and consumed considerable resources.
Hmmm.... Idiocy? I'd say that is a rather strange perspective of what Bugslayer has said.

Do you really believe there were no systematic abuses (i.e. war crimes) committed by the Western Allies during WWII?

What about the policy of the Americans during the D-Day landings of not taking prisoners?

Antony Beevor mentions this several times in his book "D-Day." You may not be able to find a signed order, but there is documentation to support that it was an intentional command decision not to take prisoners during the landings.

And he references several documented instances of the killing of PoWs and French Civilians by US troops in Normandy.

I would agree with you that there are orders of magnitude of difference between the level of atrocities committed by the Nazis vs the Western Allies..., but the conclusion that the Western Allies fought a 100% clean war would not agree with the historical information I've seen.

JT

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hmmm.... Idiocy? I'd say that is a rather strange perspective of what Bugslayer has said.

Do you really believe there were no systematic abuses (i.e. war crimes) committed by the Western Allies during WWII?

What about the policy of the Americans during the D-Day landings of not taking prisoners?

Antony Beevor mentions this several times in his book "D-Day." You may not be able to find a signed order, but there is documentation to support that it was an intentional command decision not to take prisoners during the landings.

And he references several documented instances of the killing of PoWs and French Civilians by US troops in Normandy.

I would agree with you that there are orders of magnitude of difference between the level of atrocities committed by the Nazis vs the Western Allies..., but the conclusion that the Western Allies fought a 100% clean war would not agree with the historical information I've seen.

JT
So... you're seriously suggesting that the allies deciding not to take prisoners on this one occasion - during a day of high risk to their cause and when failure would be catastrophic - equates them to the Nazis? The Japs?

I think you are mistaken.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Honestly ask yourself a question: Would you "bend" the rules. Would you violate a few human rights to avoid letting the Nazis rule the world? Thats what it took to win....losing would have been too horrible to imagine.
EDIT : better jump out of the provocative topic.

Last edited:

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland

JT
That's all I'm saying. No one fought a completely clean war - it's impossible because human beings are involved.

But to jump from that position to morally equate the Western Allies with Nazi Germany, Japan and the Soviets, as Bugslayer has on numerous occasions on this forum, is, in my view, utter idiocy and indicative of someone who has a moral compass which is broken.

Everytime this comes up, somebody says "Yes, but hold on, the Allies committed massacres too." And every time I say that does not diminish the scale of the Axis and Soviet War Crimes which dwarf those committed by the Allies.

The US or UK did not have a policy of racial extermination. The rules of war were generally respected by the Western Allies. They were almost completely diseregarded on the Eastern Front by both belligerent, and were an irrelevance to the Japanese.

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
But to jump from that position to morally equate the Western Allies with Nazi Germany, Japan and the Soviets, as Bugslayer has on numerous occasions on this forum, is, in my view, utter idiocy.
That equation is far from being an idiocy : it is a clear ideolgical, assumed point of view.
If only it was the expression of a lack of intelligence...

fwheel73

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are you trying to get Pitman back here, Scott? ;)
Pitman aint never comin back dude. So let loose with all the SS threads to your hearts content lol.

Scott
Considering the the whole war was an atrocity of munumental proportions, picking a amall part of it to refuse to game is even crazier than than gaming it in th first place.
Sorry poor Pitman isn't coming back...:cry:.... really. Got to thread's message 24 an I think I have heard this issue all before.... is there anyway to send this thread over to the Mila 18 area?

I guess enough is enough....

Best regards,:salute:
John

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
That's all I'm saying. No one fought a completely clean war - it's impossible because human beings are involved.

But to jump from that position to morally equate the Western Allies with Nazi Germany, Japan and the Soviets, as Bugslayer has on numerous occasions on this forum, is, in my view, utter idiocy and indicative of someone who has a moral compass which is broken.

Everytime this comes up, somebody says "Yes, but hold on, the Allies committed massacres too." And every time I say that does not diminish the scale of the Axis and Soviet War Crimes which dwarf those committed by the Allies.

The US or UK did not have a policy of racial extermination. The rules of war were generally respected by the Western Allies. They were almost completely diseregarded on the Eastern Front by both belligerent, and were an irrelevance to the Japanese.
I agree with you
The Brits and US fought a pretty clean war on the whole which explains why the Germans in 1945 were generally desperate to surrender to our sides wherever possible

Edit...a far cleaner war than Germany or Japan deserved

Sand Bar Bill

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Idiocy, I'm afraid.

Maybe, though I think Dresden and the a-bombed cities would be morally unacceptable tactics these days.

Truman would probably be facing a war crimes commission in our modern political age.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
During WWII the actions of the Germans, Japanese and Soviets were orders of magnitude beyond the constraints of civilised warfare.
I do not think that anyone doubts this.

... and the slaughter of non-belligerents on a routine basis were not exercises practised by the Western Allies.
What would you call massive area and fire-bombing of German and Japanese cities then?

I read this thread with interest, as it is the first one I came across dealing with the question of ethics, though I understand there must be others.

Regarding the topic of the thread, I think there is a point to it.
Do we need scenarios covering the SS-Dirlewanger Brigade, perverts even by the lousiest SS-Standards? Why has it to be them? Haven't there been enough other units involved in the Warsaw uprising?

I surmise, that the scenario designers intention has not been to remember them as a solemn admonition of how units should not behave in war. Thankfully, there are also no "game mechanisms" detailing atrocities in particular for that matter.
But if this has not been the intention, what then? I can only conclude that some people must feel some kind of special interest or thrill "playing" the most notorious war criminals. This is in my view a questionable motivation.

Regarding the spin-off discussion that followed:
As this is a wargamer's forum with ASL focusing on WW II in particular, one has to assume that its members should have at least an above average knowledge about that war compared to an average member of their respective nationality - which does not necessarily mean much.

Still, I find it remarkable, that while the undoubted magnitude of actions beyond the contstraints of civilized warfare by Axis powers are readily pointed out, the question if such constraints might have been violated by Allied powers beyond the scope of not taking prisoners in a particular military operation or something comparable, is hardly ever raised.

Please do not get me wrong: It is not my intention to sum up two sides of a bill - far from it.
But I do find it remarkable.

The reasons for this, particulary for Americans, lie probably in the fact, that their civilian population has not been subject on a large scale to war since the US Civil War. In fact, one could advance the argument that the US population has lost most memories of how it is to be on the sharp end of a war as a civilian. In Europe, almost every grandmother could tell to us grandchildren.

The one most vivid memory US civilians have of being "bombed" is 9/11. This time, there were US civilians on the sharp end large scale. I dare to raise the question for contemplation: Would it have made a difference for the survivors and bereaved if the terrorists had put forward some just cause? Would it have made a difference for any civilian survivors or bereaved if they had been targeted by indiscriminate bombing?

I leave that to be sorted out for anyone to himself.

Suffice it to assess, that those who have closer memories to being at the sharp end of war or atrocities, especially as civilians, might find a "game" scenario a bit too close to reality and thus tend to adhere to a tighter frame of ethics as a basis for such.

I think that neither the game of ASL as such nor the community would lose anything taking this into account.

von Marwitz

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So... you're seriously suggesting that the allies deciding not to take prisoners on this one occasion - during a day of high risk to their cause and when failure would be catastrophic - equates them to the Nazis? The Japs?

I think you are mistaken.
Trev channelling Pitman....

You really got that from what I wrote?

JT