The Distant Guns DRM thread of doom (do not create new DRM threads below)

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Re: The Distant Guns DRM thread of doom

Not true. What kills a forum is what happened here. A bunch of people 'taking over' the focus of the place and driving people away (principally and most importantly, the Devs).
One single thread devoted to a single topic "killed" an entire forum?

Pdqport

1st Caveman Superhero
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

DRM issues are a major factor with SES products. If SES didn't want conversation to focus on the DRM, they could have re-thought their DRM scheme or how they chose to respond to client issues and complaints. For the most part, Jim Rose chose to be accusatory and belligerent to anyone who raised an issue with the DRM, even when bugs with the DRM prevented paying customers from using their legitmately purchased merchandise.

Saddletank, you are extremely disingenous when you claim that this forum was "taken over" by DRM discussions. The discussion was limited to one or two threads and always arose out of customers having DRM related problems that kept them from playing the games. The DRM discussion did not spill over into other threads, but others were quick to jump into the DRM threads and try to squelch the conversation. You tried to shut down DRM discussions to the point that you abused your abilties as a mod to edit posts and close threads.

Lastly, the SES "devs" were really never in this forum. Jim Rose was here as the company owner and he seemed to delight in fighting with and belittling his customers. Bullethead was here as a Jack-of-all-trades company rep. He usually made a good faith effort to engage customers and offer help where he could. The developer for SES, Norm Koger, was rarely ever here even from the earliest days. He seems quite content to remain in the background, coding the games and the DRM system, and quietly earning his paycheck. Given the attention that JR draws, I can't say I blame Norm for wanting to remain out of the spotlight.

KG_Jag

KG Vice Kommandir
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

In the case if this forum, sadly, that's true.
Or was it what you first posted and then edited? Which was:

"Not true. What kills a forum is what happened here. A bunch of people 'taking over' the focus of the place and driving people away (principally and most importantly, the Devs)." [Emphasis added.]

rgreat

Reaction score
Country
llRussia

Still, forum is dead.

DRM is the only active topic here.

Not surprising at all.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada

Still, forum is dead.

Not surprising at all.
Solution is obvious. Start up topics that are interesting. That goes for Saddletank as much as anyone else. Better to light a candle, than curse the darkness.

Pdqport

1st Caveman Superhero
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Still, forum is dead.

Not surprising at all.
You guys that are in here lamenting the death of the forum crack me up. You guys WON. DRM discussion is limited to a single thread that is flagged for everyone to see and avoid if they don't want to talk about DRM. There is nothing stopping any of you from creating dozens of threads talking about how great SES' games are, how easy it is to manage them through the wonderful new Stormpowered game client, how Jim Rose is just a big, misunderstood teddy bear and DRM wouldn't be allowed in any of those threads.

The truth is that it's not enough for you guys to have the DRM discussion limited to a single thread. The push was to ban any DRM discussion in the forum and when Don didn't go along with that, the unhappy kids decided to take their ball and leave. :cry:

rgreat

Reaction score
Country
llRussia

You guys that are in here lamenting the death of the forum crack me up. You guys WON.
More like everybody lose.

Sadly you guys never see it coming. And people warned you about it.

Speedy

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia

So in this day of portable computers Jutland still expects everyone to have a full time internet connection?
I would have bought this game if it had of had a better thought out DRM system.

Sammi79

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll

So in this day of portable computers Jutland still expects everyone to have a full time internet connection?
I would have bought this game if it had of had a better thought out DRM system.
No, connection is required for activation but once activated 'offline capable' mode can be set in StormPowered launcher. Viola. you need never connect to the net again (unless you want any updates)

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada

No, connection is required for activation but once activated 'offline capable' mode can be set in StormPowered launcher. Viola. you need never connect to the net again (unless you want any updates)
I need to buy a damn viola to play the game now, too? Will my cousin's fiddle do?

Sammi79

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll

:D heh... bad choice of word there! no musical instruments are required to play this game, and I have heard fiddling with your cousin can lead to problems, genetically speaking. :p

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada

:D heh... bad choice of word there! no musical instruments are required to play this game, and I have heard fiddling with your cousin can lead to problems, genetically speaking. :p
I bow to your knowledge and good humour, sir.