The Dennis boys go to Manila (CGII)

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is the canal shallow?
Yes. Per the rules if an estero (canal) is less than one hex in width it can be forded. They're not really canals as such....part of the estuary for the Pasig River. The esteros meander into the city at several places. Makes for interesting assault options.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Shit!! Paul, you're right! We don't do Japanese a lot... but I did read that, but when I moved the counters last night he said "PAATC" and I just rolled it!
He cheated! That FT tank should be dead!!!!
Live and learn..:)

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK so the Green counters showed up and we played 2 turns yesterday (need to improve the lighting in my room).

Wine report, revisited a Pinot Noir favorite of both of ours DuMol 2014 was awesome. Finished off a Ponzi Pinot Noir as well.

At the end of T1, the Americans didn't try to force the bridge yet, one HS scampered across with an M5 and broke, another M5 scooted across as well.
Americans did not notice that the big building on his side of the canal was a factory so that kind of threw a monkey wrench into his plan.
But he surprised me with the boats. We had talked about boats and I thought he was not favoring them. I figured he was going to SM, armored assault etc and force the bridge...
He wants to take both islands before I can reinforce them (not sure I planned to) and taking the North island facilitates taking the main island.
Forgot until this morning that his boat contents could have been left offboard...

So the island attack: (the stacks on the North shore are not really there :)
You can see by the contents he really wants Provisor...
View attachment 24843

Near the canal we had not much action. The Japanese did surge forward a bit to try to slow them down. Most of these guys I expect to die, but hopefully take someone with them first.

View attachment 24844

At the end of T2, the Islands were both landed on and the Japanese are deciding on a slow withdrawal vs. getting in his face. A mtr blinded most of the hospital island and broke one guy.

View attachment 24845

On the bridge side, most of the Americans decided to splash across the canal, but he also decided to rush the bridge after gettings some smoke and WP down. First two mtrs failed but the tanks came through nicely.
I was able to get a lmg into the warehouses and lay a FL through the smoke, which stopped his first large stack, only a single HS with DC risked the next 1(-1). This meant the bridge exit hex was a little crowded and slowed the follow on guys substantially.
He used one of the M5s to cancel the FL, in order to get some others across but the smoke and overstacking worked against him.
He than surged the lead M4 up, which was the FT version and striped and ELRed the lmg guy.
I decided to add some reinforcements into the warehouse district, not sure if that will help. I was hoping to get the flame tank in CC but failed the PAATC.
In my turn I did kill the lead M5 that cancelled the FL, it took 2 THH, but the second one rolled a 1,1 to give him some extra smoke.
I've broken a big MTR and a small mtr so far.
And you can see some guys on both bridges, ready to set some DCs.

View attachment 24846
Great AAR and pics. Looking forward to next installment. The real tough nut is the area surrounding the Police Station. A true "killing ground".

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No. Fordable but still deep, so when I drop the bridge into it the bridge disappears (no rubble)

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK so we got 2 more turns done yesterday and the wining and whining has commenced! :)
The CVP are mounting for both sides, last time Neil counted it was even. Still not sure if that is a win for me or not...
Interesting happenings, T4 American he rolled gusts! T4 Japanese I rolled an increase in wind! we now how heavy winds which is fueling several fires...

So the Island battle is basically over, I'm just trying to keep a sliver of it before we end.
At the end of T4 we have this. The beserk guy battle hardened and than rolled another 1,1 and went beserk... ONE of his 9-2 stacks is going to vaporize the south side of the island (one squad already made into mist)!

The MLR got interesting and lots of broken Americans keep bouncing back and forth to the front line.

He has taken almost all his tanks the long way around (which I was thinking was too long a trip) so now they are assembling on the American right. 4I45 popped up one of the 25LL guns to use his BS and kill 1 squad and break several others but now has a 37LL staring at him from across the "bay". I had mostly dummies up here, one HIP guy jumped out of 4L47 but failed to ambush a cx 667 and 666 and died for his troubles. The other real guy over here is trying to escape but might be stuck in the last warehouse. Here you can see the other 9-2 he has which had to use his trememdous fire power to kill a poor THH... he was about to be overrun so I threw him after the road 37LL just to soak up fire.
The mortars are sort of controlling the middle here with a few BS hexes used already.
Neil is struggling to manage the plethora of squads he has and constantly has to adjust when hexes are overstacked, etc.

4052 was ablaze when the gusts hit so collapsed and than the heavy winds are driving the flames in the direction of his attack, the shoe factory is also burning from the bypass tank I brewed up earlier.
The shoe factory attack is basically over.We had a mutual 2 squad kill CC in 4L55 (where another HIP squad didn't help me much) and the beserk guy here was in melee with a squad, I shot the hex with my big MTR broke him but than he fired a 30? and a FT back and striped me but than another HOB made him beserk.
His FTs have shot 7 or 8 times without any running out of fuel.
4Q52 had a ? kill stack in it but my sniper finally found it and picked off the 9-1, temporarily breaking just about everyone else with the LLMC, I think it's mostly back now.
My sniper did go off 4 or 5 times (moved it once), the last one stunning the 105 on the road.
I was able to withdraw about 1/3rd of my shoe factory guys, the rest died. The sherman in the courtyard is the FT tank (id F for flame :) )
So here will he be able to breach that first wire line before it ends?

And my defense in depth here, the big MTR on the roof JUST came back after breaking on T1, the DC on the first bridge was set but the first plunger attempt failed...
and the second bridge guys have failed twice to set it... it's 50% guys come on! Kindled a building here and a rubble hex in the back for future plans.
My 10-2 was a reinforcement that brought on the reinforcing MG platoon and linked up with my .50 cal from setup, so that's a 30FP with limited LOS but he did vaporize a HS that was hanging out on the road by the shoe factory. There is also another big MTR back on the roof off screen to the left with a few interesting LOS to the middle (one of those acq. above is his)

Turn 5 likely in 2 weeks after the holiday unless Neil frees up on Saturday.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great AAR.....just one comment. Aren't already Berserk guys immune to Heat of Battle? (A15.1) Otherwise, a typical bloody back and forth day in Manila!

DVexile

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Country
llUnited States
Great AAR.....just one comment. Aren't already Berserk guys immune to Heat of Battle? (A15.1) Otherwise, a typical bloody back and forth day in Manila!
I think he meant that when the squad first rolled 1,1 it Battle Hardened and then later it rolled 1,1 again going Berserk.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think he meant that when the squad first rolled 1,1 it Battle Hardened and then later it rolled 1,1 again going Berserk.
What he said! I rolled like 5 or 6 1,1 in a turn? Neil was not happy, although it will likely work out for him. The guy on the island is going to hurt me, the guy on the road was gonna die anyway

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Love the AAR updates. Also, the building names make the battle so much more evocative.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That makes more sense....thanks.
Oddest HOB events I ever had was in battling inside the Intramuros. In one CG scenario, a single 666 American squad did all the following (not sure of the order anymore as it was like ten years ago). Breaks, 1st MMC to self rally and generates an 8-0 SMC. Gets HOB, generates a Hero. Hero soon dies. Gets another HOB and improves to a 667 and generates another Hero. Breaks. Again, they were the 1st MMC to self-rally and of course, they generate a 7-0 SMC. Just before the scenario ended they get another HOB and create.....another Hero. My opponent then said something along the lines of "I never should have shot at those guys, even once". I notated the counter ID and allowed that squad to go to the rear for the next CG Day for some R&R...they earned it.

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting AAR! I've recently discovered HASLs and I'm starting to think they were what ASL was made for. BTW, maybe it's my monitor, but the Americans look a little less day-glow green than the standard MMP fair. Are they from a TPP?

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting AAR! I've recently discovered HASLs and I'm starting to think they were what ASL was made for. BTW, maybe it's my monitor, but the Americans look a little less day-glow green than the standard MMP fair. Are they from a TPP?
Different print runs from different products....most likely the original Yanks and also Yanks 2.....base colors didn't match. I have three shades of US green in my counter mixes. Let's not even begin to get into the many shades of German blue out there.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK so we got 2 more turns done yesterday and the wining and whining has commenced! :)
The CVP are mounting for both sides, last time Neil counted it was even. Still not sure if that is a win for me or not...
Interesting happenings, T4 American he rolled gusts! T4 Japanese I rolled an increase in wind! we now how heavy winds which is fueling several fires...

So the Island battle is basically over, I'm just trying to keep a sliver of it before we end.
At the end of T4 we have this. The beserk guy battle hardened and than rolled another 1,1 and went beserk... ONE of his 9-2 stacks is going to vaporize the south side of the island (one squad already made into mist)!
View attachment 25088

The MLR got interesting and lots of broken Americans keep bouncing back and forth to the front line.

He has taken almost all his tanks the long way around (which I was thinking was too long a trip) so now they are assembling on the American right. 4I45 popped up one of the 25LL guns to use his BS and kill 1 squad and break several others but now has a 37LL staring at him from across the "bay". I had mostly dummies up here, one HIP guy jumped out of 4L47 but failed to ambush a cx 667 and 666 and died for his troubles. The other real guy over here is trying to escape but might be stuck in the last warehouse. Here you can see the other 9-2 he has which had to use his trememdous fire power to kill a poor THH... he was about to be overrun so I threw him after the road 37LL just to soak up fire.
The mortars are sort of controlling the middle here with a few BS hexes used already.
Neil is struggling to manage the plethora of squads he has and constantly has to adjust when hexes are overstacked, etc.

4052 was ablaze when the gusts hit so collapsed and than the heavy winds are driving the flames in the direction of his attack, the shoe factory is also burning from the bypass tank I brewed up earlier.
The shoe factory attack is basically over.We had a mutual 2 squad kill CC in 4L55 (where another HIP squad didn't help me much) and the beserk guy here was in melee with a squad, I shot the hex with my big MTR broke him but than he fired a 30? and a FT back and striped me but than another HOB made him beserk.
His FTs have shot 7 or 8 times without any running out of fuel.
4Q52 had a ? kill stack in it but my sniper finally found it and picked off the 9-1, temporarily breaking just about everyone else with the LLMC, I think it's mostly back now.
My sniper did go off 4 or 5 times (moved it once), the last one stunning the 105 on the road.
I was able to withdraw about 1/3rd of my shoe factory guys, the rest died. The sherman in the courtyard is the FT tank (id F for flame :) )
So here will he be able to breach that first wire line before it ends?
View attachment 25089

And my defense in depth here, the big MTR on the roof JUST came back after breaking on T1, the DC on the first bridge was set but the first plunger attempt failed...
and the second bridge guys have failed twice to set it... it's 50% guys come on! Kindled a building here and a rubble hex in the back for future plans.
My 10-2 was a reinforcement that brought on the reinforcing MG platoon and linked up with my .50 cal from setup, so that's a 30FP with limited LOS but he did vaporize a HS that was hanging out on the road by the shoe factory. There is also another big MTR back on the roof off screen to the left with a few interesting LOS to the middle (one of those acq. above is his)

View attachment 25091atio
Turn 5 likely in 2 weeks after the holiday unless Neil frees up on Saturday.
The Police Station looks ready for a fight......I can imagine there are at least one or more HIP guys lurking in there......probably in the cellar.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
a lot of my Americans sat in the sun next to a window for a long time and got bleached years ago. So they are many different colors of green!
And they are original Yanks too most likely.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What he said! I rolled like 5 or 6 1,1 in a turn? Neil was not happy, although it will likely work out for him. The guy on the island is going to hurt me, the guy on the road was gonna die anyway
Oh it was maybe 5 or 6 in a turn, but you know full well that it was 8 1,1's in a single session.............9 if you count the wind change that caused heavy winds and took away my smoke.
And the dice gods gave me a single 1,1 to go with a pair of 6,6's (one on a wind change at least.)

Not happy is just a slight under statement...........

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Steve - just to confirm - you ARE using plexi to protect the maps, right? ;)