The Dennis boys go to Manila (CGII)

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So after a long layoff, Neil and I should be starting CGII of Manila likely in 2 weeks... oops make that setup in 2? play in 4? since I'm going to Vegas for March Madness this year finally!! (original trip cancelled because of outbreak of Covid way back when) We might get setup done this weekend if I can deal with the bigger table requirements.

Got the new wood floor laid in my game room, have to build a bigger table top (why is this map so damn big?), and setup is mostly done in VASL already.

My Japanese await the lazy Americans...

Might have to buy more plexiglass too.

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
welcome to hell ......the pacific Stalingrad....only there is rice, saki and kobuki music :p

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
re: big sheets of plexi.....we just used several standard "poster" sized pieces (about 36x24" and just taped them together atop the mapsheets. Worked out just fine. Just be sure to use "transparent" tape....not duct tape. :)

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Eventually I'm going to build a custom table, probably with different size tops that "fold down" from the wall, maybe even use glass rather than plexi.
I know a guy who owns a glass manufacturing plant :)

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Check with any construction company as I have a sheet that's 36x60". It gets a bit unwieldy when 1st laying it down but once you get used to messing with it, it works like a charm. I believe it's 1/8" thick that some may not like but offers a more solid piece to work with and one can always use the "shadow" method for checking those tight LOS checks. One should be able to get a plexi sheet in almost any dimension. It really comes down to your ability to handle it when setting up..

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
That map is 6' x 4' that is huge.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
The Americans enter on the East edge?

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes. By now they would have crossed the river East of here near the palace and are advancing west to Intramuros and government buildings.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah he has one bridge or it will be turn 3 before he's moving on my side of the canal... gotta have smoke.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK so the Green counters showed up and we played 2 turns yesterday (need to improve the lighting in my room).

Wine report, revisited a Pinot Noir favorite of both of ours DuMol 2014 was awesome. Finished off a Ponzi Pinot Noir as well.

At the end of T1, the Americans didn't try to force the bridge yet, one HS scampered across with an M5 and broke, another M5 scooted across as well.
Americans did not notice that the big building on his side of the canal was a factory so that kind of threw a monkey wrench into his plan.
But he surprised me with the boats. We had talked about boats and I thought he was not favoring them. I figured he was going to SM, armored assault etc and force the bridge...
He wants to take both islands before I can reinforce them (not sure I planned to) and taking the North island facilitates taking the main island.
Forgot until this morning that his boat contents could have been left offboard...

So the island attack: (the stacks on the North shore are not really there :)
You can see by the contents he really wants Provisor...

Near the canal we had not much action. The Japanese did surge forward a bit to try to slow them down. Most of these guys I expect to die, but hopefully take someone with them first.

At the end of T2, the Islands were both landed on and the Japanese are deciding on a slow withdrawal vs. getting in his face. A mtr blinded most of the hospital island and broke one guy.

On the bridge side, most of the Americans decided to splash across the canal, but he also decided to rush the bridge after gettings some smoke and WP down. First two mtrs failed but the tanks came through nicely.
I was able to get a lmg into the warehouses and lay a FL through the smoke, which stopped his first large stack, only a single HS with DC risked the next 1(-1). This meant the bridge exit hex was a little crowded and slowed the follow on guys substantially.
He used one of the M5s to cancel the FL, in order to get some others across but the smoke and overstacking worked against him.
He than surged the lead M4 up, which was the FT version and striped and ELRed the lmg guy.
I decided to add some reinforcements into the warehouse district, not sure if that will help. I was hoping to get the flame tank in CC but failed the PAATC.
In my turn I did kill the lead M5 that cancelled the FL, it took 2 THH, but the second one rolled a 1,1 to give him some extra smoke.
I've broken a big MTR and a small mtr so far.
And you can see some guys on both bridges, ready to set some DCs.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Shit!! Paul, you're right! We don't do Japanese a lot... but I did read that, but when I moved the counters last night he said "PAATC" and I just rolled it!
He cheated! That FT tank should be dead!!!!

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Shit!! Paul, you're right! We don't do Japanese a lot... but I did read that, but when I moved the counters last night he said "PAATC" and I just rolled it!
He cheated! That FT tank should be dead!!!!
With your luck, not a chance