the damage is done

Futbol

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Had an idea yesterday after watching a ww2 documentary. I'm advancing a SSR or rule concerning damaged buildings. During the gulf war I noticed many damaged or burnt out buildings still standing. Here' it is... a damaged building would simply have its TEM lowered by one. One could say we have rubble counters already and damaged building counters might be too much, unless it could be on the reverse of another counter, or use a breach counter as a reminder. How is a building damaged? Let's get some ideas... thanks

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
[O5.5] Gutted Factory
[V5.5] Partially Collapsed Building
Berlin Final Days [32.2] Partially Destroyed Buildings
Berlin Final Days [32.24] Rubble Creation
Berlin Final Days [32.26] Partially Collapsed Buildings

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Futbol , Am I right in thinking you mean becoming damaged during a game? Gets hit by X caliber or higher and then has reduced TEM?

Seth

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I really don't think the reduced TEM is much of a factor as a partially destroyed/damaged building may be even more defensible than than the if in pristine condition (e.g brick is brick, wood is wood). However, the ability for it to be reduced to Rubble is probably enhanced. In a playing of RB we gave gutted buildings a -1 DRM for rubble creation purposes only, in essence the reverse of a fortified building modifier. It was implemented with little difficulty and attained the desired result without drastically changing the game play or do I expect, the outcome of the game.

As for progressive damage inflicted upon a building, I know most computer games use this approach, but I believe it would be rather difficult to implement in a similar fashion for ASL. Now I could see a "Damaged" counter being placed upon a building that let's say received a "K/#" DR result during the normal rubble creation process that would increase its chances of being reduced to rubble, but do not believe it would reduce the inherent protection afforded by its building materials. The possibility of a "normal" building being gutted (ala. FB) that have been on fire during a CG should be implemented with future CG (including the remake/reissue) of RB as I believe this gives a reasonable amount of randomness given to building destruction. Again, if the increased possibility of rubble creation is applied to gutted buildings & perhaps a form of a "damaged" annotation, I believe it would reasonably reflect progressive damage to structures and at the same time keep the rules at a minimum and ease implementation.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I really don't think the reduced TEM is much of a factor as a partially destroyed/damaged building may be even more defensible than than the if in pristine condition (e.g brick is brick, wood is wood).
That was implied to be the case with the monastery at Monte Cassino after the Allies (needlessly) bombed it.