The Dallas Cowboys' real problem might be Jerry Jones

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
According to this article, the real problem in Dallas is the owner.

Yahoo Sports said:
When he steps aside, keeps his considerable ego in check and lets people like Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells build his teams, things tend to go very well. But as it is with his inner Steinbrenner, Jones can't help but tinker with, and take credit for, the work of others. Yes-men like Phillips and ex-head coach Dave Campo are little more than doorstops.
I've thought the same thing myself from time to time.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
See the Washington Redskins for another example. -- jim

mfl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don,
Not sure. The lack of disipline was there early, remember the leap frog stuff. Who to peg that on, not sure.
Mike

Mini-Me

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don,
Not sure. The lack of disipline was there early, remember the leap frog stuff. Who to peg that on, not sure.
Mike
You peg that on leadership. Squarely.

Have a problem player that won't get on board with the team? Trade his sorry butt. Seems like nowadays the players run the teams in most cases.

A strong coach would not tolerate the lack of fundamentals the Cowboys have shown thusfar. Fundamentals stem from discipline. My beloved Cowboys have been nothing but underachieving primadonnas.

Pdqport

1st Caveman Superhero
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jerry Jones has long been the problem in Big D and I for one say God Bless him. I hope he continues in full Al Davis mode for years to come!:laugh:

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
See the Washington Redskins for another example. -- jim

Exactly. Jerry Jones and Darth Snyder are so similar in their approach to the game. This rivalry could still be the greatest out there, if only they'd each hire a good coach and let him get on with it.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Exactly. Jerry Jones and Darth Snyder are so similar in their approach to the game. This rivalry could still be the greatest out there, if only they'd each hire a good coach and let him get on with it.

You can go too far the other way, though; As a long-time Cleveland Browns fan I've seen it both ways. .

Art Modell was known for hiring really good people, but then meddling too much. The current Browns owner, Randy Lerner is the opposite. He keeps his hands off, but doesn't necessarliy pick the best guys to run the show and the story is the same.

Holmgren looks good so far, though. At least in his one draft and being able to work with Mangini. .