The complete set of GWASL modules for sale....

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Originally CH had a good model and concept: replicate terrain more realistically and make everything have the feel of a mini (or major) HASL.

And then it started doing things like making full on replacement counters. It wasn’t terrible all of the time. I have Berlin Red Victory and I also bought Tyrant’s Lair to update it. I have played them. It made sense to have new pieces because the armies were different enough to warrant it and the pieces did look good, plus they were specifically for Berlin so no worries about needing to store them with the usual pieces. Yeah the scenarios were all blowout Russian victories but tbh I don’t care about that. They were fun and it actually improves the pace of a city fight.

It started to suck when they included replacement pieces for everything and even made full on replacement counter sheets for no reason. And then they did away with the wonderful paper maps, which was the biggest reason to play CH.

I didn’t ever intend to get GWASL. Not because it’s outside the scope of ASL. Many of the tactics overlap and even to this day there are bad units that still do WW1 doctrinal tactics in certain places. Storm trooper tactics (for counterattacks) are still to this day better than any defensive doctrine, and an untrained unit will revert to WW1 style attacks in the assault.
I didn’t buy it because it was something that was put out as a stopgap measure and you can tell. If they’re going to rerelease it in a few years, it will just annoy me.