The Chemist's Shop on the new RB map.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I'm a bit confused; I thought it was established that the Chemist's Shop was south of the Commissar's House in hexes CC22 etc. There is even an overlay for it provided in RF. Yet on the new RB map building X10 etc. is labeled the Chemist's Shop. So if you use the overlay on CC22 as well you will have TWO Chemist Shops. Is this an oversight?

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm a bit confused; I thought it was established that the Chemist's Shop was south of the Commissar's House in hexes CC22 etc. There is even an overlay for it provided in RF. Yet on the new RB map building X10 etc. is labeled the Chemist's Shop. So if you use the overlay on CC22 as well you will have TWO Chemist Shops. Is this an oversight?
The Chemists' Shop is skulking...

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
You can never have too many drugs!!!

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The overlay is the Apothecary - they left the Chemist shop since it plays into the RB, The Commissars House, scenario. Note if you compare the original Commissars House (scenario 4) and the one on the RB map you will note that the OOB is not changed and they used that building to represent the original positioning of the two buildings on the Geo maps.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Russian propaganda to confuse the Germans

Bryan Holtby

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Its a translation issue. Apothecary....Pharmacy....Chemists Shop, all have a similar meaning. An apothecary is a place where medicine is made and sold, a pharmacy is where medicine is sold and a chemist shop is where medicine is made. Thus An Apothecary is both a Pharmacy and a Chemists shop, but just a Chemists shop is not an Apothecary nor is a Pharmacy a Chemists shop.

I dont think MMP could have 'fixed' much on the RB map without having to ask themselves 'how far do we go?' For instance, we all know the Commissar's House was a ground+1 floor level building (2 story corners), either the Kindergarten or Haus 53 near the Chemists shop was 4 or 5 stories high. Therefore the CH should only be a 1.5lvl building. One could argue that this should have been fixed (along with several other minor things) but would the end result be worth the (admittedly considerable) effort and would it really matter? The purist in me wanted it, the realist in me says that it likely wouldnt matter lol. I am very happy with the two significant changes, gutted buildings and Kindling N/A.

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Its a translation issue. Apothecary....Pharmacy....Chemists Shop, all have a similar meaning. An apothecary is a place where medicine is made and sold, a pharmacy is where medicine is sold and a chemist shop is where medicine is made. Thus An Apothecary is both a Pharmacy and a Chemists shop, but just a Chemists shop is not an Apothecary nor is a Pharmacy a Chemists shop.

I dont think MMP could have 'fixed' much on the RB map without having to ask themselves 'how far do we go?' For instance, we all know the Commissar's House was a ground+1 floor level building (2 story corners), either the Kindergarten or Haus 53 near the Chemists shop was 4 or 5 stories high. Therefore the CH should only be a 1.5lvl building. One could argue that this should have been fixed (along with several other minor things) but would the end result be worth the (admittedly considerable) effort and would it really matter? The purist in me wanted it, the realist in me says that it likely wouldnt matter lol. I am very happy with the two significant changes, gutted buildings and Kindling N/A.
I think I need a Venn diagram for the apothecary, pharmacy, chemist shop thing...

Excellent point on the "how far do we go?" As many have said before, an ASL level is not necessarily the same as a floor in a building.
Design for effect and all that.

jmho.

indy