The case of waving "brightly coloured flags" and getting toasted

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
All men are born equal but some are born more equal than others.

This is the case with ASL "observer" rules primarily and the case to avoid the clearly damaging (literally) effects.

Take the spotted mtr rule s as "template" . The mtr that fires if out of LOS is not shown at all. This would be behind a building or in a gully say.

Now what is the first thing that one would NOT want seen in a game. First on my list is a OBA forward observer.

Yet the first thing that happens is that (most likely) in a main area of attack your FO will be unconcealed and a PREP fire put on top.

Really. ( Shouldn't all this be secret). [ There is also a case for SR to be entirely HIP and only seen when the FFE hits. That way the shock and awe effect is greater. Some people even suggest having the 2 effects at the same time].

This even goes so far as Off Board Observers which have to have a actual board hex. By this I mean one that could be smoked out on the board.

The ASL version is to literally hand over your fire plan to the opposite side.

I would like to ask what rules do players use to keep these not being seen as above.

Or any ideas on this.

Thanks

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
SMC with radio or field phones are only required to put on an Info counter if unconcealed or unhidden. Using a radio or field phone by itself is not a concealment loss activity. See C1.6

If you elect to move the chap around right up front, that is something else.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Use Footnote 5 Chapter C ASLRB as a possible out here. It takes a little mental gymnastics to implement this for spotters as well and not all players are up to the task (perhaps marking him off board someway or implement some other system) but it is a way to not provide your opponent with some free recon.

R Hooks

Smoke Break brb
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wonder if the trench rule about being able to move between trench hexes and not losing concealment, has any other move related concealment loses that don't apply in trenchs. Do any of those apply to OBA spotters?

Bad Dice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
House rule. On-board Observers, Spotters, etc. start a game HIP unless specifically addressed otherwise, and lose HIP as if Emplaced Guns.

For a start.

BD