The Canadian ASL Open in 2022

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I've made three trips to our great northern neighbor for ASL and each time enjoyed the tourney, the country and the Canadians. Hope to make it next year but I am Europe bound twice this year with Normandy on the bucket list before ASLOK.
Bon voyage Ray!!🤗

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Congratulations to you and all the participants. Who keeps letting this Pleva character come to these events?😉

Lol the pleasure of playing one of the absolute best to ever play the game is worth getting your butt kicked by him! Nice job Steve!!🤗
I played a three player versus Steve and Fish. Possibly the most lopsided game in ASL history. Need I say that I lost.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I can use lessons in how to run a tournament in absentia.
Though I guess some players might prefer that. ;)
And miss out on seeing your smiling face?? 😘

Only barbarians would want that Perry.😊

Last edited:

Darren Kovacs

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I usually root for Darren but who is this Blake Ball character ? Look out everybody, Steve is on a roll !
Blake is usually my sparring partner 😁. He played a great game with me and came out in the end. The honor of trying to take out Pleva! But not able to accomplish the final glorious task; next time Blake.

GamerGeek

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Bob, am shocked (not really....) you don't remember having drinks with Jim McLeod and I at a CASLO a million years ago in Winnipeg......OK, 25 years ago at least, but those were the days of the free CASLO beer. I joined you and Jim for a 'few' drinks and my only street cred was that my brother was also a carpenter.......Jim said you were a cool dude first and awesome player second, and is right!

:)

Was a great tourney and Michael R and David G did an awesome job of putting things together. Thanks again guys!

One thing I noticed after batting way above my league in this and in the last few tourneys, was trying to understand why the greats (Steve, Darren, Bob, and many others) are so good at this game.

Many of these aspects have been discussed (ability to 'get' a scenario, knowing what each unit is 'supposed' to do, down to that last hs, understanding the odds/consequences of your moves, assessing risk, etc, etc), but one of the things that popped out to me this weekend, was their ability to capitalize on their opponents mistakes. No one (well maybe not Steve, Darren, etc.) plays a flawless game, but I suspect that one aspect, is that the greats know when how to best exploit their opponents errors. I made one mistake against Darren that almost cost me the game, and an early one against Steve that put me severely behind the 8-ball. They both make me pay dearly.

What are others thoughts, kicking a guy when he is down is poor form, but is it a path to victory? My buddy Jim ' The Hammer' would certainly think so........

Discuss!

BB

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

Bob, am shocked (not really....) you don't remember having drinks with Jim McLeod and I at a CASLO a million years ago in Winnipeg......OK, 25 years ago at least, but those were the days of the free CASLO beer. I joined you and Jim for a 'few' drinks and my only street cred was that my brother was also a carpenter.......Jim said you were a cool dude first and awesome player second, and is right!

Was a great tourney and Michael R and David G did an awesome job of putting things together. Thanks again guys!

One thing I noticed after batting way above my league in this and in the last few tourneys, was trying to understand why the greats (Steve, Darren, Bob, and many others) are so good at this game.

Many of these aspects have been discussed (ability to 'get' a scenario, knowing what each unit is 'supposed' to do, down to that last hs, understanding the odds/consequences of your moves, assessing risk, etc, etc), but one of the things that popped out to me this weekend, was their ability to capitalize on their opponents mistakes. No one (well maybe not Steve, Darren, etc.) plays a flawless game, but I suspect that one aspect, is that the greats know when how to best exploit their opponents errors. I made one mistake against Darren that almost cost me the game, and an early one against Steve that put me severely behind the 8-ball. They both make me pay dearly.

What are others thoughts, kicking a guy when he is down is poor form, but is it a path to victory? My buddy Jim ' The Hammer' would certainly think so........

Discuss!

BB
Excellent!!! I have been fortunate enough to have played against some of the best and your assessment is spot on. If you make a mistake against those guys the only thing that can possibly save you, in most circumstances, is the blessings of the dice gods. Fish would have told you that I was one who received an abundance of their blessings. 🤣🤣🤣 True though.

The other quality is resilience. A mistake on their part or fortuitous outcome for their opponent that would spell kaputt for us ordinary players they seem to be able to overcome.

I've said this before but it bears repeating. I would occasionally beat Fish two maybe three scenarios in a row but I never beat him in a RB campaign and we played it a lot. I would win a CG day but could never string enough wins together to win. Resilience. And the jick had almost a photographic memory.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Discuss!

BB
Any friend of Jim McLeod is a friend of mine. That tourney, 25 years ago was the last time I drank massive amounts of scotch, lol.
Congratulations on the fine show Blake !

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Dice and auxiliary awards

2’s - Blake Ball 23

12’s – Darren Kovacs and Steve Pleva 20 (Darren won with roll off)

SAN – Jonathan Kay 29

ROF – George Hiotis with 9 rates

CC award – Darren Kovacs +13

Good Sportsman award – Blair Bellamy lost all matches but was present for all 5 rounds