First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The Canadian ASL Open
May 19-20-21-22, 2016

Tentative Event Plan

• Open gaming all day Thursday.
  • Two round ASLSK mini (for up to 4 players) Thursday afternoon and evening.
  • Friday, 10 AM: early start CASLO round 1 with three scenario choices.
  • Friday, 12:30 PM: regular start CASLO round 1 with three scenario choices. All other Open rounds have five scenario choices.
  • Saturday 9 AM: CASLO continues; “Weekender” three round mini (for up to 8 players) starts. Each “Weekender” round has three scenario choices.
  • Sunday 9 AM: CASLO continues; “Weekender” continues; single round VP mini starts.
  • There will be registration options for the single day events, the two day event and the whole enchilada.
  • Souvenir T-shirts, possibly other stuff, will be available for pre-order sales.
Hotel
Quality Suites

http://www.qualitysuitesmontrealairport.com

6300 Transcanadienne
Pointe Claire, Quebec, H9R 1B9

• Meeting room of 1260 square feet.
  • Free airport shuttle for guests.
  • Restaurant/bar
  • Free parking
  • Fitness room
  • Free wifi
  • Located about 1 km from a shopping centre and a large mall that have restaurants and a food court.

Last edited:

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
it is always exciting to see CASLO return to Montreal. can't wait for May

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Canadian ASL Open
May 19-20-21-22, 2016

Tentative Event Plan

• Open gaming all day Thursday.
  • Two round ASLSK mini (for up to 4 players) Thursday afternoon and evening.
  • Friday, 10 AM: early start CASLO round 1 with three scenario choices.
  • Friday, 12:30 PM: regular start CASLO round 1 with three scenario choices. All other Open rounds have five scenario choices.
  • Saturday 9 AM: CASLO continues; “Weekender” three round mini (for up to 8 players) starts. Each “Weekender” round has three scenario choices.
  • Sunday 9 AM: CASLO continues; “Weekender” continues; single round VP mini starts.
  • There will be registration options for the single day events, the two day event and the whole enchilada.
  • Souvenir T-shirts, possibly other stuff, will be available for pre-order sales.
Hotel
Quality Suites

http://www.qualitysuitesmontrealairport.com

6300 Transcanadienne
Pointe Claire, Quebec, H9R 1B9

• Meeting room of 1260 square feet.
  • Free airport shuttle for guests.
  • Restaurant/bar
  • Free parking
  • Fitness room
  • Free wifi
  • Located about 1 km from a shopping centre and a large mall that have restaurants and a food court.
Ann and I have pretty much agreed this year is going to be a lot of ASL event vacation time spent. Looking forward to it and very much hope I can make it.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Ann and I have pretty much agreed this year is going to be a lot of ASL event vacation time spent. Looking forward to it and very much hope I can make it.
I'm happy to hear that. I hope it works out.

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Montreal is a great holiday destination and it is closer than it looks. hope to see you guys there

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Montreal is a great holiday destination and it is closer than it looks. hope to see you guys there
I went up with Randy Knight, Doctor Death and a third I do not recall one year. Great time and the sights were impressive on, I believe it was St. Catherine Street. The city didn't look bad either.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I went up with Randy Knight, Doctor Death and a third I do not recall one year. Great time and the sights were impressive on, I believe it was St. Catherine Street. The city didn't look bad either.
Yes, it was maybe in 1998, during the ten years that I ran the Montreal ASL Festival. Randy won it that year.

http://www3.bell.net/mtrodgers99/MyASLWebPage/The_Montreal_ASL_Festival.html

The location for the 2016 CASLO is not downtown, it is in the suburbs; within a 20 to 30 minute commute.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
2016 Canadian ASL Open
The 20th annual Canadian ASL Open will take place in Montréal on May 19, 20, 21 and 22. There will be an ASLSK mini-tournament and an open gaming day on Thursday. The Open consists of five rounds spread over Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The Weekender consists of three rounds spread over Saturday and Sunday. The Victory Points (VP) tournament is a one round event on Sunday. The list of scenario choices will be available before the tournament. Players will receive an event information package that explains each event in detail.

EVENTS SCHEDULE

THURSDAY:
0900: Open gaming starts. You can pre-arrange games (starting in January) at http://canadianaslopen.com .
1300: ASL Starter Kit (ASLSK) mini-tournament round one (four players maximum).
1800: ASL Starter Kit mini-tournament final round.
2300: End of ASL Starter Kit mini-tournament.

FRIDAY:
0900: Doors open.
1000: Pre-registered players begin the early start round one of the Open.
1200: Opening Ceremony and pairings for the Open regular start round one.
1230 to 1800: Regular round one of the Open.
1900 to 0030: Round two of the Open.

SATURDAY:
0900 to 1500: Round three of the Open; round one of the Weekender.
1700 to 2330: Round four of the Open; round two of the Weekender.

SUNDAY:
0900 to 1530: Final round of the Open; final round of the Weekender; Victory Points tournament.
1600: Awards Ceremony
1630: End of the event.

Pre-register to save a few dollars, to guarantee your spot in the ASLSK mini or the Weekender, or to order your souvenir T-shirt or coffee mug. The pre-registration deadline is March 31 if ordering souvenirs; otherwise the deadline is May 1.
The list of scenario choices will be available in early March at the latest. Pre-registered players will have access to scanned scenario copies before the tournament.
We will award plaques for the winner of the Weekender and for the top three players in the Open. We will give framed award certificates for the winner of the ASL Starter Kit mini, the best Sniper, most two’s, etc. We might have additional prizes from sponsors.

We are holding this event at the Quality Suites, in the suburbs of Montreal. The hotel has a restaurant, a bar and a free airport shuttle. The hotel is located about one kilometre from a shopping centre having restaurants, and slightly farther from a large indoor shopping mall that has a food court.

Tournament hotel: Quality Suites, 6300 Transcanadienne, Pointe Claire, Quebec, H9R 1B9.
Hotel web page: http://qualitysuitesmontrealairport.com

There is a block of fifteen rooms reserved for our event available at the rate of 129 dollars per night (not including taxes). Our Group Name is The Canadian ASL Open; Group Number 2323234. Use the toll free number 1-877-574-6835; choose the language, #1 for the Montreal region, #5 for this property. We also have the option to reserve by sending an email to their event director: “cn333v@whg.com” .

Download the registration form.

If you have questions, send an email to “mtrodgers99@hotmail.com”.

To pay the pre-registration, there are two choices:

Send a payment by PayPal to “casla@bell.net”. Use the registration form as a guide to know the amount and to supply the necessary information in the email that accompanies the payment.

OR

Fill in the registration form and send it, with your cheque or money order in Canadian funds (payable to the Canadian ASL Association) to:

Michael Rodgers
5187 Rue Beamish
Montreal, QC
H8Z 3G4

View attachment 51939

Last edited:

sharper

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I would really like to attend this, the only problem is that it is two weeks after the "Stack Académie" wargaming convention... Can't really do both. This is going to be a tough decision.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I would really like to attend this, the only problem is that it is two weeks after the "Stack Académie" wargaming convention... Can't really do both. This is going to be a tough decision.
Maybe a compromise is in order. Spend a day a Stack Academie, and a day or two at the CASLO.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just got the okay from the wife. I'll be there in May!

sharper

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I've sent in my registration for CASLO.

Figuring out the logistics part now. I was wondering if there is any possibility of sharing a room with someone? That's if the rooms have two beds of course. My wife says I have a tendency to steal the sheets and wouldn't want to impose that on anyone else!

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
People can request a room with two beds or one bed; whatever they need.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Here is the scenario list for CASLO XX.

This is the “bare bones” list of the scenarios for CASLO XX. A more detailed version showing required maps, overlays, etc., will be available by the end of February. For pre-registered players, there will also be scenario guides (like the Ottawa team did in 2015)

Round 1E is the early start round at 10 AM on Friday. Only pre-registered players can play in this round. I plan to pair these players in advance, then have them choose their scenario and sides before the tournament.

Round 1E includes a desert scenario. If a pre-registered player strongly desires to play this scenario at the cost of giving up other scenario choices, let me know. I will pair players who both desire this scenario.

Round 1 includes a night scenario. If any player strongly desires to play this scenario at the cost of giving up other scenario choices, let me know in advance or on site before the pairings. I will pair players who both desire this scenario.

Several scenarios use BFP counters or boards. One scenario uses the FrF A board. I will have photocopies of these to use at the tournament.

Round,Scenario,Title,”Axis Nationality”,"Allied Nationality”,Year,Notes

1E,81,FRATRICIDAL FIGHTING,VICHY FRENCH,FREE FRENCH,1941,"DTO. FF Infantry and early tanks attack a hilltop defence of infantry, guns and fortifications."
1E,175,HUNTERS AT YLIMAA,GERMAN,FINNISH,1944,Finn infantry and tanks try to exit through German infantry and 2 guns.
1E,BFP035,MAI PHU,JAPANESE,FRENCH,1940,PTO. Air Support. Japanese try to take buildings. BFP counters.
1E,DB113,FONTENAY BY DAY,GERMAN,BRITISH,1944,"British infantry, tanks, OBA, air try for buildings against infantry, guns, Panther, OBA and fortifications."
1E,SP214,MAKELA’S END,NATIONALIST,REPUBLICAN,1938,"Nationalist infantry and tanks try to take hilltop graveyard and church against infantry, MTR and tanks."

1,AP091,PARTING SHOTS,JAPANESE,BRITISH,1942,PTO. Japanese with partisans try to kill Brits and take buildings. Brits receive late carrier reinforcements.
1,AP093,BEST THINK AGAIN,GERMAN,RUSSIAN,1941,Russian heavy tanks and infantry try to cross the map for area control. Germans have reinforcements come behind the Russians.
1,ASLUG6,ONE STEP FORWARD,GERMAN,FRENCH,1940,French infantry and tanks try to take buildings from infantry and 2 guns.
1,BB2,THROWING DOWN THE GAUNTLET,GERMAN,CANADIAN,1944,"also 101; Night. Canadians try to kill Germans, take buildings and pillbox."
1,DB083,BLOCK TO BATAAN,JAPANESE,AMERICAN,1941,"PTO. American infantry, tank and a gun try to hold a road against Japanese infantry and tanks."

2,168,FOREST BASTION ,FINNISH,RUSSIAN,1941,OBA. PFZ. Finnish infantry try for pillboxes against infantry and fortifications.
2,AP086,MILLING ABOUT,JAPANESE,BRITISH,1942,PTO. Japanese with partisans try to kill Brits and exit.
2,FRF074,OUT OF THEIR ELEMENT,GERMAN,RUSSIAN,1944,Elite Germans with SPA try to punch through Russian infantry and gun to control an area.
2,LSSAH2,THEY STOP HERE!,GERMAN,POLISH,1939,"German motorcyclists with AC try for a building area against infantry, ATG and foxholes. CVP cap."
2,SP204,YANKEE PRIDE,GERMAN,AMERICAN,1944,American infantry and tanks try for buildings against elite infantry reinforced by panthers.

3,AP114,A LION IN THE FIELD,GERMAN,BRITISH,1944,"OBA. Elite Germans with tanks and FT try for more VP than the Brits by taking buildings, exiting and causing casualties."
3,BFP050,ALLIGATOR TANKS,JAPANESE,AMERICAN,1944,PTO. American infantry and light armour try to eliminate pill boxes.
3,CH97,FINAL CRISIS AT BLACKPOOL,JAPANESE,COMMONWEALTH,1944,Version from designer J.Leoce; Japanese try to bring firepower to bear on one hex.
3,GD01,LA GUERRE FINIE!,GERMAN,FRENCH,1940, German infantry and gun try for two bridges against infantry and light armour.
3,OA18,PARRY AND STRIKE,GERMAN,RUSSIAN,1944,"Elite Germans with 4 Panthers try for a hill against infantry, gun and 10 tanks."

4,BFP034,HUNDRED REGIMENTS OFFENSIVE,JAPANESE,COMM CHINESE,1940,PTO. Japanese infantry with later reinforcements try to hold buildings. BFP counters.
4,CH006,ARMORED PROBE,JAPANESE,AMERICAN,1944,"PTO. Japanese infantry and tanks try to exit through, and kill, American infantry having BAZ and MG."
4,FRF078,NO GLORY IN WAR,GERMAN,RUSSIAN,1941,FrF A. Two combined arms forces meet and try to control cross roads.
4,FT157,THE LOST COLUMN,GERMAN,CANADIAN,1944,"Elite Germans with Panthers and Tiger try to clear hill of infantry, gun and tanks."
4,SP186,BEAUFORT’S FEAST,GERMAN,FRENCH,1940,Meeting engagement trying to control buildings.

5,AP050,PANZERGEIST,GERMAN,RUSSIAN,1944,Elite Germans with armour go against elite Russians with armour. Both want level 3 and armour kills.
5,FRF029,STING OF THE ITALIAN HORNET,ITALIAN,CANADIAN,1943,"Canadian combined arms try for buildings against infantry, guns and armour."
5,ITR1,DEBACLE AT SUNG KIAN,JAPANESE,CHINESE,1937,"BFP-B. Japanese infantry and light armour try for buildings against infantry, guns and light armour."
5,OA07,CELLES MELEE,GERMAN,AMERICAN,1944,"Elite Germans with Panthers and Pz4s try to exit and cause casualties against infantry, tanks and tank destroyers."
5,SP164,TANKS BUT NO TANKS,RUSSIAN,POLISH,1939,Russian combined arms try for two buildings against infantry and guns.

sharper

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Pardon my ignorance, but how exactly is scenario choice decided? Are games randomly assigned?

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Registered! Looking forward to seeing Montreal again!

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Pardon my ignorance, but how exactly is scenario choice decided? Are games randomly assigned?
You will receive a tournament information package that includes that information and plenty more. Here is the applicable section that answers your question.

Players choose scenarios from the Scenario List for each round. No exceptions, other than extenuating circumstances with the TD’s approval, are permitted. Each player will secretly pick their top three selections ranked as 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Upon revealing the choices to your opponent, scenario matches are determined (i.e.: scenarios that you both picked). Of the scenarios that are matches, the one with the lower Rank Average (RA), closest to the first choice, is the scenario to be played. In case of a tie, both players will make a DR. The player having the lowest DR has the choice of the tied scenarios.

EXAMPLE: Player A picks scenarios X1, X2 and X3 as his 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices. Player B picks X3, X4 and X2 as his 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices. X4 and X1 are not considered since they are not a match. X3 has a lower RA of 2 [(1+3/2=2] as opposed to X2 which has a RA of 2.5 [(2+3)/ 2=2.5]. X3 is the scenario these players will play in this round.

Both players choose sides secretly. A player may secretly choose to not pick a side thus negating any Play Balance provisions. If both players chose the same side, both players make a dr. The player with the lowest dr receives the side for which he bid and gives his opponent the printed Play Balance. If neither player chooses a side, they make a dr and the player with the lower dr chooses side with no Play Balance given.