The Butterfly Effect

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is a brilliant promo vid:

[YOUTUBE]08hmqyejCYU[/YOUTUBE]

It worked so well that even though I've been having fun with X3, I think I'll resubscribe for a month (yes, I'm a soft touch). :) I hate this, though. There is always such a long time between renewals for me, that is takes the better part of a day just to pick up the pieces from where I left off. :angry:

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice teaser.

One footnote... "Your actions set in motion your participation... and 6 months later you will stab your new found buddies in the back, steal half the corp assets and defect to that other alliance for the thrill of it!"

avl90

Reaction score
It's fluff. No single frigate is going to chase off pirates taking down a hulk. One person means very very little in Eve, that is the truth of it. That is why Goonswarm wins. I just laughed at the blob warfare footage being in the very video talking about the importance of individuals.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
One person means very very little in Eve, that is the truth of it.
Really? Tell that to BoB. I think the members of that alliance (former alliance) might have something to say about just how instrumental one person can be in the fate of thousands.

Generally, you are correct in stating that numbers do count for a lot, just as they do in the real world. But the Goons do not rule New Eden and the leadership of that organization would do well to remember that all glory is fleeting.

avl90

Reaction score
Yeah yeah :) I'm no fan of the Goonswarm either. As for individuals mattering, there is no way that you can compare the average player to a director in BoB. The notion suggested in the video of a player going around in a rifter saving hulks from swarms of pirates occurring is an extra savoury variant of lol. :)

Last edited:

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If it entices more folks to take the trial account for a spin, and gets some of them to take out a permanent account... then the marketing hype worked.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
As for individuals mattering, there is no way that you can compare the average player to a director in BoB. The notion suggested in the video of a player going around in a rifter saving hulks from swarms of pirates occurring is an extra savoury variant of lol.
True. I'm certainly not suggesting that an ordinary character is going to have anywhere near the influence of a director in one of the game's most powerful alliances. That's self-evident. What I am saying is that it is possible to rise through the ranks from humble origins to attain that kind of power and influence. Is it likely? No. But it is possible within EVE.

I will say that the average character can participate in important fleet operations, market transactions, or political decisions that might affect a lot of people. The video is probably portraying the impact of one character in somewhat larger-than-life terms, but the basic point of the video is true enough. Characters in EVE have the potential to make a real difference in the game world, which isn't really true at all in other MMORPGs.

Chaim628

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
It's fluff. No single frigate is going to chase off pirates taking down a hulk. One person means very very little in Eve, that is the truth of it. That is why Goonswarm wins. I just laughed at the blob warfare footage being in the very video talking about the importance of individuals.
Well if these were NPC rats it could. Now a fleet taking you along with all the spais around is much more unlikely. We are not even allowed to do that at the Ivy League Navy...