The British European Referendum

Should Britain leave the EU?

• Total voters

Paul_RS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
A convoluted way of saying that all the 17.4 million people who voted for Brexit are dumb.
All we’ve had from your quill is a thousand different ways of saying we won you lost suck it up. Not one reasoned response to the challenge of explaining how we will be better off, not one.

Nobody is arguing about who won the referendum and respecting the result, other than you.

We are waiting patiently for you to explain how the country will benefit following the stunning victory delivered by a well informed electorate. Over to you.

Toby Pilling

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
All we’ve had from your quill is a thousand different ways of saying we won you lost suck it up. Not one reasoned response to the challenge of explaining how we will be better off, not one.

Nobody is arguing about who won the referendum and respecting the result, other than you.

We are waiting patiently for you to explain how the country will benefit following the stunning victory delivered by a well informed electorate. Over to you.
We'd take back control of our billions of pounds of contributions each year.
Our laws would be made by people we can elect or kick out.
We'd take back control of our borders.
We'd take back control of our fishing waters.
We'd take back control of our ability to make trade deals worldwide.

How this benefits us all depends on us and who we vote for. It's all about democracy.

Read this for some pointers:

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I paste below a review from an Amazon reader of Hannan's book.

After a chapter crowing about how his side won the referendum (and who can blame him? Let him have his fun, he's been fighting to leave the European Union all his life) we get down to the meat of Daniel Hannan's expectations as to what the future has in store for us. Apparently "After 43 years, we have pushed the door ajar. A rectangle of light dazzles us and, as our eyes adjust, we see a summer meadow. Swallows swoop against the blue sky. We hear the gurgling of a little brook. Now to stride into the sunlight" (an exact quote from the man himself there). His religious zeal is as potent as incense and, being naturally wary of fanatics, from this point on I trod carefully.

What a blissful utopia he sees stretching before us. The rest of Europe will roll over and give us anything we ask for because it's in their best interests. That's his 'take home message'. How odd that someone so passionate about the Union of the United Kingdom can fail to comprehend that fans of the European Union might not see Brexit through the sunny haze that he does, but instead as a threat that must be dealt with. If Scotland had won their independence referendum I'm not sure many English people would have wanted to cut them the kind of sweet deal Daniel Hannan is expecting from the EU.

And what are the benefits we apparently gain from leaving the biggest free trade agreement in the world and depriving an entire population of their EU citizenship? The chance to follow out of date economic policies from the 1980s unfettered by input from any other countries. Except that he wants lots of new trade deals to replace the one we've just torn up, so now we have to bargain away our "sovereignty" all over again, this time with presidents like Donald Trump, and countries like India who are hungry for more immigration rights. His suggestion that we could join the TPP or NAFTA demonstrates that the UK couldn't have chosen a worse time to hitch its skirts and start to go it alone in the world. With a US President loudly declaring that it's "America First", anyone pressing for free trade deals in the most protectionist era since the 1920s has a real fight on their hands.

Other ways we will apparently make a huge success of things are fracking, a war on regulations (because it's not in a company's interest to harm their consumers. Er... tobacco industry anyone?) and the dismantling of what is left of our welfare system. By the time I reached the point where he is basically calling for a return to the Victorian workhouse I needed to put his book down, put my head between my knees and have a good cry.

As someone who thought Brexit would be a disaster I bought this book hoping to be cheered up by some of the positives I may not have been aware of. Daniel Hannan's wild and seemingly baseless optimism has depressed me even more. I've got an unshakeable conviction now that he and his gang have sold us down the river for their abstract notions of what it means to be British, for which we will suffer for many decades to come. What a mess.

Paul_RS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ŵ

How this benefits us all depends on us and who we vote for. It's all about democracy.

Hannan? JFC,you really are beyond mortal help.

But I’ll play along for chuckles.

Explain how we will get a better trade deal with any country outside the EU than the deals we already have in place that have been negotiated by the EU, and who will we trade with that we don’t already have a trade deal with? How long will it take to secure that deal and what will be trading with those countries?

Fishing:

Borders: control of what precisely? Try and avoid prepackaged sound bites in your responses. You really aren’t helping the discussion.

Oh yes the contributions, that old chestnut. 1.2%, ouch, how on earth did we ever afford it? 39p a day, thank God I’ll be getting that back when we leave. How this benefits us depends on who we vote for? At the risk of sounding realistic....OMFG..you don’t know, you haven’t get the first clue, no plan, no idea but don’t worry I’m sure you’ll burn that bridge as soon as you come to it as well. 🤡

Last edited:

Paul_RS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Read this for some pointers

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
After you guys successfully Brexit why not have a referendum to cut off the Royals ?

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
...and lose the access to the markets that is paid for by those contributions. The losses here are already being felt as FDI in the Eurozone increases, while it decreases in the UK.

...which they already are. Not that it would make much difference, since the UK has voted in favour of 88%-95% of European legislation. So much for being dictated to.

...which you already had, but elected not to use, or rather, your governments elected not to use so that they could get in cheap labour, but were clever enough to put the blame on lack of control, knowing that a large number of UK voters think that informing yourself means reading the Sun/Mail//Torygraph. so the wool can easily be pulled over their eyes.

Nothing like as clear-cut as Brexiteers like to suggest. As with so many aspects of this affair, things are much more complex than that, and it's not clear at all what the impact, positive, negative or neutral will be on the UK's fishing industries, particular when one bears in mind that there's a lot more to a fishing industry than just the fishing.

...after throwing away the existing deals held by the EU with non-EU countries, 70+ I believe. Better get busy with those negotiations, lads.

Ah yes, democracy. Please indicate on the ballot paper where the voters selected the type of Brexit they wanted? Here is the question that was asked:

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

A form of question that would have been laughed out of court as a candidate question for a referendum in Ireland, but never mind, Britain, mother of democracy, etc....

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llRussia
After you guys successfully Brexit why not have a referendum to cut off the Royals ?
The country would vote overwhelmingly to retain the Royal Family.

They're surprisingly popular here. I don't understand it, but it's the truth.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llRussia
Don't forget, this referendum was an indicative, non-binding one. The two main parties decided to run as if it were binding.
I think, eventually, the whole thing will be canned and the fact of it being indicative and none binding will take the fore again.

I don't see how it can go ahead.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llRussia
Sheer bloody mindlessness can achieve many things.
I mean just practically and legally.

Boris the cunt has of course threatened to close down Parliament but that would create the worst Constitutional Crisis this country has ever seen.

So...Parliament will not accept no deal. The deal on the table would have to be dramatically altered to go through.

Checkmate...no Brexit.