The British European Referendum

Should Britain leave the EU?

• Total voters

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llGibraltar
No new elections. No Brexit on Thursday.

Could they just get on with anything?

BTW, just to remind us - I actually forgot, so please help me out:
For which date had the Brexit been scheduled originally?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llGibraltar
The funny thing is: This is the second time they minted coins with the wrong Brexit date. 🤣🤪

The first time they minted some 10,000 for collectors with the date 29. March 2019.

This time, with the date 31. October 2019 the plan was to mint millions. But Sajid Javid from the Treasury does not want to give details about how many have already been produced and the cost/scope of this second screw up because it is "commercially sensible information".

Well, maybe they can divert some of the extra millions made available for the NHS due to the Brexit to cover the expenses of this caper.

Maybe all this is an example of the infamous English humour? ☺
It is almost as good as the Germans trying to build an airport in Berlin.

Seriously:
What they should to is to sell all these funnies. I am quite convinced they would catch a good price well beyond 50 pence each.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Here is what MPs were told in 2015:

'This Bill requires a referendum to be held on the question of the UK’s continued membership of the European Union (EU) before the end of 2017. It does not contain any requirement for the UK Government to implement the results of the referendum, nor set a time limit by which a
vote to leave the EU should be implemented. Instead, this is a type of referendum known as pre-legislative or consultative, which enables the
electorate to voice an opinion which then influences the Government in its policy decisions.

The referendums held in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland in 1997 and 1998 are examples of this type, where opinion was tested before legislation was introduced. The UK does not have constitutional provisions which would require the results of a referendum to be implemented, unlike, for example, the Republic ofIreland, where the circumstances in which a binding referendum should be held are set out in its constitution.

Well the referendum outcome has certainly influenced the Conservative Government to an extra-ordinary degree, emasculating Parliament and taking the outcome as the sole determinant of policy. Thank goodness we finally have the opportunity to express in a GE our approval or disapproval - with parties available throughout the UK available to put the positive aspects of staying in the EU to the electorate

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Seems we have the script for the final episodes of season 3:
  • a pretty intense no-holds-barred electoral campaign
  • a clear majority for the CONS (as the leave side seems less divided than the remain side)
  • the way would be cleared for...further infighting between tories 🙄
Your forecasts may vary

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Just to clarify, ROI referenda are only held to amend our constitution. The referendum to join the EEC was necessary as it required constitutional amendments.

The disUK's "constitution" is a product of successive parliamentary legislations, precedents and whatever parliament feels like it is at the moment. The disUK supreme court can strike down government actions but not legislation. It can temporarily gum things up but has no real teeth.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I suppose that it's an Yankee fast mush chain that displayed its ignorance makes it a little less ... inexcusable. I don't expect "burgers" to be served from the House of Common's Speaker's desk (or the White House, at least that was until last year) and don't expect a fast "food" joint to conduct a peace conference.

I can't wait for a Southern US franchise to start selling Cole-Slave with Pickannied Cucumbers to go with their burgers followed by a Watermelon desert.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Happy Brexit Day to all our readers 😂🤡

The foulest stench is in the air
The funk of forty thousand years
And grisly ghouls from every tomb
Are closing in to seal your doom
And though you fight to stay alive
Your body starts to shiver
For no mere mortal can resist
The evil of the thriller

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Not long now until we officially not-Brexit again. Where are the not-Brexit festivities being held? Have you got your 50p commemorative not-Brexit coins yet?

Morbii

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It’s kind of like the people that want it think it’s up to someone else to do the suffering for their choices.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
If we have united fronts both for remain and leave, the election will serve as a second referendum in practice.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llRussia
If we have united fronts both for remain and leave, the election will serve as a second referendum in practice.
That's where it gets really complicated? And a reason that General Elections and Referenda should be kept separate.

I stand behind the principles and policies of the Labour Party but I wish for the whole shambles of Brexit to be cancelled and put behind us which is a Liberal Democratic pledge.

So I'm stuck really for whom to vote for. It's going to be a really difficult choice for the 5% of the UK population who really consider their vote carefully rather than vote based on dogma or whom their parents, and their parents before their parents, voted for. Or whom the press tells them to vote for.

Who does a lifelong Lib Dem supporter who supports Brexit vote for? Crazy

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llGibraltar
Alas even a new election will not solve the fundamental issue.

As long as still something like 55/45 per cent of the population are for or against Brexit, the UK society is fundamentally divided. Thus regardless of who wins the elections and of what the outcome of it is, the situation with regard to the EU will not settle down.

For that reason, by now I am convinced that the UK must leave, because it is the only way the British people can determine by experience, if In or Out suits their bill better. When they have experienced both, then I am convinced that a larger and more stable majority will emerge either for staying out or getting back in.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llRussia
Alas even a new election will not solve the fundamental issue.

As long as still something like 55/45 per cent of the population are for or against Brexit, the UK society is fundamentally divided. Thus regardless of who wins the elections and of what the outcome of it is, the situation with regard to the EU will not settle down.

For that reason, by now I am convinced that the UK must leave, because it is the only way the British people can determine by experience, if In or Out suits their bill better. When they have experienced both, then I am convinced that a larger and more stable majority will emerge either for staying out or getting back in.
It will resolve the immediate future of Brexit IF there is an overall majority simply by way of the fact that the winning Party will be in a position to enact, or cancel, Brexit.

Course if it's a hung Parliament then it will be pretty much 'as you were'.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I've always liked the idea of a hung parliament, the gently swaying bodies, the crows picking out eyes, the faint waft of putrid flesh ...

Oh ... not that kind of hung parliament ... Oh dear. 😜

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llGibraltar
It will resolve the immediate future of Brexit IF there is an overall majority simply by way of the fact that the winning Party will be in a position to enact, or cancel, Brexit.

Course if it's a hung Parliament then it will be pretty much 'as you were'.
Indeed.

I wish they had never embarked on this venture. It would have been better if somehow agreements and compromises could have been reached within the EU IMHO. But I reckon that ship has sailed. It is truly a pity.