The British European Referendum

Should Britain leave the EU?

• Total voters

Paul_RS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Beloved Tory party? I couldn't give two hoots about the tories - what I'm interested in is democracy and upholding the largest vote for anything, ever, in our country. Bring in proportional representation, I say. Let the Conservative and Labour parties both collapse - I'll shed no tears. The referendum result needs to be enacted - everything else is just noise.
It wasn’t the largest vote ever. Stop making shite up because you can’t be arsed to do a cursory search for facts and the truth.

Paul_RS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
We have a parliament that is frightened of the electorate. We have a politicised judiciary. We have a government with no majority. We have a population who fear that democracy is at risk. The next general election will be fascinating, if we’re ever allowed to have one.
And we have an ASL player who is frightened he won’t get his Brexit. Thankfully leave had all the bases covered when they instructed Parliament how they wanted them to implement their vote.....oh wait....🤡🤡🤡🤡🤪🤪🤪

For all the guff that is written about the will of the people (all 17.4 million of them), in 2017 over 26 million people voted for parties pledging to deliver a deal. If you believe that the referendum did impart a democratic mandate, then so did the 2017 general election. End of chat.

Last edited:

Paul_RS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
No-one, absolutely no-one, treated it as non-binding at the time. Find me a quote from anyone involved in 2016 saying that it was just a large opinion poll.

Until the result of the first referendum is enacted, any new referendum with remain as an option is invalid.

Leave voters were dupes, were they? You'd make a good Remainer - they peddled plenty of falsehoods in the referendum campaign. Look up 'Project Fear' some time.
Cost of Brexit £74B and counting, project fact. Over to you to explain how we are all better off after the vote and how that £74B will turn into a positive after we leave.

No one, absolutely no-one is talking about threatening our place in the single market. Starter for 10, no conferring, who said that in 2016? Clue, it wasn’t a remainer.

Morbii

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No-one, absolutely no-one, treated it as non-binding at the time. Find me a quote from anyone involved in 2016 saying that it was just a large opinion poll.

Until the result of the first referendum is enacted, any new referendum with remain as an option is invalid.

Leave voters were dupes, were they? You'd make a good Remainer - they peddled plenty of falsehoods in the referendum campaign. Look up 'Project Fear' some time.
At this point, I don't see how you could think leave voters weren't duped. I mean, we're going through the same thing here, so it's clear what it looks like. They were told more money for the NHS, just for example. That's what they voted for. Benefits that don't/won't exist.

So, as an outsider, I'd say if everyone felt the referendum was binding, then you should enact it as it was voted for. The people definitely did not vote for hard brexit - they voted for what they were promised by the leave side. If you want to enact what the people voted for, hard brexit ain't it.

Paul_RS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
At this point, I don't see how you could think leave voters weren't duped. I mean, we're going through the same thing here, so it's clear what it looks like. They were told more money for the NHS, just for example. That's what they voted for. Benefits that don't/won't exist.

So, as an outsider, I'd say if everyone felt the referendum was binding, then you should enact it as it was voted for. The people definitely did not vote for hard brexit - they voted for what they were promised by the leave side. If you want to enact what the people voted for, hard brexit ain't it.
The terms of leaving and how to do so were deliberately left undefined by the leave campaigners. They just wanted to get the leave vote over the line and left it to government/Parliament to work it out and agree the details. Had they actually defined a preferred option then I believe that they would have lost as they would have been unable to unify those who wanted to leave. Hence the current impasse in Parliament, a reflection of the divisions that exist within the leave voting populace.

May then decided, without consulting her cabinet and solely under the advice of Nick Timothy (an unelected special advisor), who still hasn’t got a clue how the EU works, to establish her red lines. This was done primarily to ensure wider support for her as leader from the Eurosceptic elements of the Tory party, bearing in mind she was (almost silently) on the remain side during the referendum. Her Lancaster House speech had the effect of closing down any options of a sensible phased transition. A transition that would, in reality, have taken at least a decade, if not more, to complete and we are where we are.

Brexit: Apart from those who are very rich or too old to be affected, everyone is having their pants pulled down. Weird thing is, those about to get fisted the hardest are cheering for it.

Which is why Johnson wants an election now, before the reality of what Brexit actually means to those about to be fisted becomes unavoidably apparent. I suspect they might just be a little bit peeved and brexiters are not short of anger

Last edited:

Paul_RS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

So there you have it. Another piece of Pillingism exposed.

Last edited:

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Weird thing is, those about to get fisted the hardest are cheering for it.
If they are anything like our nutcases on this side of the Atlantic, they don't care about getting hurt as long as they are hurting others with darker complexions than theirs. I'm beginning to think it's a lesson learned from Christianity--sure the apocalypse is going to be bad, but it will hurt the bad people worse than us because God will save us good folk. Replace "bad people" with "brown people" and "apocalypse" with "end of democracy" and that's what we have over here.

Toby Pilling

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It wasn’t the largest vote ever. Stop making shite up because you can’t be arsed to do a cursory search for facts and the truth.
More people voted to leave the EU in 2016 than have voted for any other single electoral option in British political history. You can't deny the truth, can you?

Toby Pilling

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If they are anything like our nutcases on this side of the Atlantic, they don't care about getting hurt as long as they are hurting others with darker complexions than theirs. I'm beginning to think it's a lesson learned from Christianity--sure the apocalypse is going to be bad, but it will hurt the bad people worse than us because God will save us good folk. Replace "bad people" with "brown people" and "apocalypse" with "end of democracy" and that's what we have over here.
Leavers are racists, eh? We've heard it all before.

Paul_RS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
More people voted to leave the EU in 2016 than have voted for any other single electoral option in British political history. You can't deny the truth, can you?
That’s your job, you do so with almost every post you write. You wrote the largest vote, that is not the same as the number who voted leave. Detail is important. My original comment stands. Your post remains in the shite tray.

Last edited:

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llRussia
That's not what you said!!

You're a really intelligent bloke. And an admirably great ASL player. But you come across as a right prick when debating stuff mate. With the utmost of respect and a smirk on my face of course.

Last edited:

Paul_RS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
That's not what you said!!

You're a really intelligent bloke. And an admirably great ASL player. But you come across as right prick when debating stuff mate. With the utmost of respect and a smirk on my face of course.
Scary what 40 years of grooming can achieve, even to savvy, intelligent people.

Paul_RS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
View attachment 10389

View attachment 10388

View attachment 10387

9. November 1938

Your country is a long way from that, but the path of polarization, radicalization and emotionalization of society has been chosen by Boris Johnson first and foremost and also others. That thrown in window of the non-Brexiteers bears witness to this.
The broken windows and defacing of posters was a feature of the Scottish independence referendum, mainly but not exclusively by yes voters. Emotions were running high, verbal abuse and intimidatory behaviours were reported on regular basis. But post referendum it evaporated and is now largely confined to online blogs, Facebook and the twitter sphere.

There does appear to be a determined effort to provoke division, presumably to foment civil unrest and then step in with the emergency powers act. Boris saves us all from a situation he actively encouraged and neatly avoids the Benn Act. Thus paving the way for a no deal exit. A subterfuge so transparent that a small child could easily spot it.

But we have evidence here that suggests the contrary. When we failed to leave in March, despite repeated promises we would, you might have expected a very angry reaction. Farage addressed a demonstration in which he called the Houses of Parliament ‘enemy territory’. The demonstration was news because anything Farage does seems to be news and also some right wing thugs got aggressive. But in terms of people, we are talkingabout a few thousand people. A petition for a No Deal Brexit gained a bit more than 600,000 signatures. Whereas the petition to revoke Article 50 gained over 5 million.

Last edited: