The British European Referendum

Should Britain leave the EU?

• Total voters

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
On a lighter note, a blogger's assessment on the proposal from BoJo to build a bridge between N.I. and Scotland

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llRussia
On a lighter note, a blogger's assessment on the proposal from BoJo to build a bridge between N.I. and Scotland

We should apply to the EU for funding.

Oh...

Paul_RS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The snee

The sneering disdain you display towards anyone who does not share your views does you no credit, nor your cause.
The irony meter just exploded

Your inability to counter or respond coherently to any of the challenges thrown at you in this forum makes you look rather silly. Beyond endlessly restating that leave won you have yet to contribute anything of substance to persuade me or anyone else in this forum who voted remain that Brexit is a good idea and how it will benefit the vast majority of the people of this country.

Over to you.

Last edited:

Toby Pilling

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Your inability to counter or respond coherently to any of the challenges thrown at you in this forum makes you look rather silly. Beyond endlessly restating that leave won you have yet to contribute anything of substance to persuade me or anyone else in this forum who voted remain that Brexit is a good idea and how it will benefit the vast majority of the people of this country.

Over to you.
I supply many links to articles that explain and cover the issues you say you care about, but you always dismiss them with a curled lip. There is no persuading you - you have just made up your mind and that's that.
I guess I see my role as providing a counterpoint to the endless Remain posts on this forum, so that neutral observers who dip into it can see that there are alternative views.

Morbii

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But you’re just posting articles from tabloids and saying “here’s a good read”.

Toby Pilling

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
But you’re just posting articles from tabloids and saying “here’s a good read”.
Are you saying that everything in tabloid newspapers is worthless? One could argue that such a viewpoint is somewhat snobbish and condescending. Many good, thoughtful, perceptive writers pen pieces for the tabloids - I wouldn't dismiss their writings so quickly.
I find nothing wrong with linking interested parties with pieces that provide a different perspective from the Remainer one that dominates these 128 (and counting) pages.

Morbii

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are you saying that everything in tabloid newspapers is worthless?
If they’re anything like the tabloids here, I don’t know how anyone could really think otherwise (in relation to reality). But maybe yours are different than ours.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
But maybe yours are different than ours.
You need not worry, there is not all that much difference. Some even share Murdock as their owner. The US ones have a bit more UFO, bigfoot and JFK conspiracy stories, but that's about it.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llRussia
Are you saying that everything in tabloid newspapers is worthless? One could argue that such a viewpoint is somewhat snobbish and condescending. Many good, thoughtful, perceptive writers pen pieces for the tabloids - I wouldn't dismiss their writings so quickly.
I find nothing wrong with linking interested parties with pieces that provide a different perspective from the Remainer one that dominates these 128 (and counting) pages.
I don't read your links anymore because you actually don't engage. Posting a link and then not engaging in debate about that link is just pointless to me. I could post literally a thousand links from all kinds of people with 'skin in the game' explaining why Brexit is a bad idea. But what's the point if those of the opposite viewpoint can't be arsed debating the toss.

My mate and I read the Yellowhammer document yesterday. He's severely diabetic. The document seems to accept that there IS a risk of delays in vital medicines reaching us. It MIGHT be a low risk. But there is a risk. IF the Government are accepting that there are health risks enough to state them in a Government document (where it's in their interest to downplay the risk !) then I'm pretty assured that the risks are serious.

Basically Brexit is heightening people with complex health issues' risk of death.

Is it really worth that? Would you be so keen if you or your loved ones had skin in that particular game of chance?

Paul_RS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I supply many links to articles that explain and cover the issues you say you care about, but you always dismiss them with a curled lip. There is no persuading you - you have just made up your mind and that's that.
I guess I see my role as providing a counterpoint to the endless Remain posts on this forum, so that neutral observers who dip into it can see that there are alternative views.
Provide me with a link you provided that clearly states the benefits of Brexit with all the upsides and none of the downsides and that will deliver on the promises made by leave during the referendum campaign. 128 pages and counting. Those are the issues I say I care about.

Over to you

Paul_RS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
From a blogger with a far more informed opinion of the Brexit media and a fanatical leaver to boot

Toby Pilling

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I don't read your links anymore because you actually don't engage. Posting a link and then not engaging in debate about that link is just pointless to me. I could post literally a thousand links from all kinds of people with 'skin in the game' explaining why Brexit is a bad idea. But what's the point if those of the opposite viewpoint can't be arsed debating the toss.

My mate and I read the Yellowhammer document yesterday. He's severely diabetic. The document seems to accept that there IS a risk of delays in vital medicines reaching us. It MIGHT be a low risk. But there is a risk. IF the Government are accepting that there are health risks enough to state them in a Government document (where it's in their interest to downplay the risk !) then I'm pretty assured that the risks are serious.

Basically Brexit is heightening people with complex health issues' risk of death.

Is it really worth that? Would you be so keen if you or your loved ones had skin in that particular game of chance?
'Yellowhammer' is a worse case scenario, though, isn't it? The worse case scenario on a plane journey is that you die in a blazing fireball with all the screaming passengers around you. Should everyone stop flying? If you live by that methodology, you'll be in fear or absolutely everything.

My understanding is that the government have refused to name the authors of the document. The one guy we do know who contributed to it is a doctor who turns out to be an ardent, fanatical Remainer. Unbiased and impartial?

I never believed all the Project Fear guff that was peddled about the consequences of just voting to leave the EU, never mind actually doing so. I was proven right. I don't believe this Yellowhammer guff either - I don't even think there's a chance of it being right, which is why I'm not worried about being accused of risking lives. It is total and utter tosh.

Sand Bar Bill

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Should have done the referendum with some rank ordered choicing and some estimates of effects about each choice.

Horse. Barn door. Left already.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llRussia
'Yellowhammer' is a worse case scenario, though, isn't it? The worse case scenario on a plane journey is that you die in a blazing fireball with all the screaming passengers around you. Should everyone stop flying? If you live by that methodology, you'll be in fear or absolutely everything.

My understanding is that the government have refused to name the authors of the document. The one guy we do know who contributed to it is a doctor who turns out to be an ardent, fanatical Remainer. Unbiased and impartial?

I never believed all the Project Fear guff that was peddled about the consequences of just voting to leave the EU, never mind actually doing so. I was proven right. I don't believe this Yellowhammer guff either - I don't even think there's a chance of it being right, which is why I'm not worried about being accused of risking lives. It is total and utter tosh.
I absolutely guarantee you'd have a less cavalier attitude if you had skin in the game.

There's no single author. It's a Government document under the control of COBRA. You should read it. It's badged with a reference to worst case, but the contextual language used within is not worst case. It's pretty categoric in stating that there will be serious delays at customs (explains in depth why), that energy prices will rise, and that medicines will be under pressure, and that there are likely to be fuel shortages in the South East with knock on effect. Ignore it by all means. Time will tell.

And. Totally intrigued. How exactly have you been proven right? The pound has tanked to record lows. Investment has bombed. Businesses are planning their exits. The HQ of the company I work for is likely to be shifted from London to Frankfurt am Main. Insolvencies are now running hot. We were doing OK. We're not doing OK now. How have you been proved correct?

Last edited:

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland

Over to you.
Don't hold your breath. Take a good look at Toby's avatar. A superhero, i.e. a fictional character with pseudo-scientific super-abilities that have been dreamed up by fiction writers and could never really exist. Dressed in a Union Jack. It's a perfect symbol for Brexit.

(Except for the Union Jack because,as we've learned, Brexit is now more important than the once-venerated union.)