The British European Referendum

Should Britain leave the EU?

• Total voters

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
"THE liberal Belgian politician Guy Verhofstadt is a strange-looking bloke. Bit of a wrong ’un, in my book. If you saw him lurking outside a school you’d probably ring the Old Bill."
"Analysis". 😄

Still, I suppose in this ever-changing world it's good to see standards being maintained. Even at the bottom of the barrel...

Particularly rich coming from a paper whose stablemate rag hacked the phone of a missing, murdered schoolgirl. Some nice sources you cling to there Toby. What's next, something anti-EU from Jimmy Saville?

Paul_RS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Stephen Barclay tweeted today

The car industry’s ‘just in time’ supply chains rely on fluid cross-Channel trade routes. >1,100 trucks filled with car parts cross seamlessly from EU into UK each day. We need to start talks now on how we make sure this flow continues if we leave without a deal. /4

Phew, glad that’s sorted. 🤪

Paul_RS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Got to give credit where credit is due to Bojo. Dissolving parliament is an excellent move. The public has voted to leave so lets just get on with it and not give time to the 'remainers' to plot (reminds me of Worma grimetongue from LOTR). We've had our vote on leave/stay - lets just get on with it. What do the remainers' want? - keep on having referendums until they get a 'remain' vote as they don't like the current one. I voted 'leave' and leave is leave, whether no deal or otherwise. WTO is fine by me, no smoke without fire! and all the doomsayers saying leaving with no deal is bad for us, WTF do they know... it hasn't happened yet. I've kept quiet to date on replying on this thread, but jumped off the fence now.
Got to ask this. Get on with what? Brexit isn’t the finish line it’s the starting pistol.

As long as they keep on going the way they have been, the only sound advice an analyst could give as to how to solve the problem of Brexit is the same as the directions given to the baffled American tourist asking the way to Tipperary: "To be sure, I wouldn't start from here!" When we joined the EEU in 1972, we were given a seven year transition period and over 47 years have adopted many more major European Treaties, adding significantly to the complexity of the political and economic integration process.

What puzzles me beyond bafflement, then, is why Johnson (or anybody else for that matter) thinks that Brexit is something we can get "done" in a matter of months, when it should always have been regarded as a process rather than an event, taking decades rather than months or even years.

Getting it done will not be quick or easy. WTO has been discussed endlessly the disadvantages are huge, feel free to Google.

There is nothing to be desired about a no deal Brexit since crashing out throws us into a state of limbo, passing all of the leverage to the EU in process. There is no WTO safety net. Much of the WTO system of rules isn't worth the paper it's printed on for all it can be enforced. Crashing out immediately puts us into damage control mode and forces us to rebuild all of our external relations from scratch. It threatens to destabilise the economy and throw government into chaos. But that is the gamble MPs took when they voted down all the alternatives.

There is no such thing as no deal. There will always be a deal or are you suggesting that we never speak to the EU ever again about trade after the 1st Nov?

Last edited:

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We need to start talks now on how we make sure this flow continues if we leave without a deal.
Easy, replace the factories in Great Britain with new factories in the EU. :)

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I found funny stuff as well

The UK government announced on Tuesday (20 August) that its officials will stop attending most EU meetings as of 1 September in order to focus efforts elsewhere ahead of its expected withdrawal from the bloc. London will also cede its voting rights to Finland in areas that are no longer of interest.

Paul_RS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llRussia
Didn’t take long to figure out that’s a propaganda “newspaper”.
The front page of The Sun after the Hillsborough Stadium Football Disaster. Part of a Police and (Tory Psychopath) Government attempt to avoid blame by smearing football fans who went through the disaster...

Tells you all you need to know about that fucking rag.

Toby...The Sun? REALLY? The Sun is now part of your basis for arguing in favour of Brexit. For fuck's sake.

Morbii

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow, it even looks like a tabloid.

I went to read the article out of curiosity. One article over was a story about people getting fucked over by their builders. And then it went into how there was “Polish food” in the fridge, etc etc (obvious xenophobic hit piece on Polish laborers - the article could have said the important bits without doing that).

Scrolling down, I saw the “we’ll pay you for your stories!” Ads.

Age of Trump, indeed.