Gulagwanker
Country
llRussia

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I would expect the quantity effect to be relatively short-lived as linked to the transition. What may be more lasting would be the price effect. As most expect prices to rise, domestic wholesalers and retailers can profit from the opportunity by increasing their own margins (and get away with it in the confusion).

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llRussia
I would expect the quantity effect to be relatively short-lived as linked to the transition. What may be more lasting would be the price effect. As most expect prices to rise, domestic wholesalers and retailers can profit from the opportunity by increasing their own margins (and get away with it in the confusion).
Correct. It's already having a huge effect here and it's not even happened. I work in the world of business Insolvency. Companies who have struggled for years are using Brexit as a brilliant opportunity to give themselves, the Directors, a 'pass' when it comes to winding up a poorly performing business.

"The reason we went bust....well, it's all down to Brexit"

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland

Paul_RS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
There won’t be a transition in the event that we leave without a deal. All our trading agreements will cease with immediate effect at midnight on the 31st October, notable exceptions will be those countries that have already agreed to continue trading under the base case WTO arrangements. I believe that number is small and only represents a very small percentage on our current trading volume.

Paul_RS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Tell you what mate you're a far greater ASL strategist than a debate strategist.

And whilst these people were warning about the possibility of sleepwalking into a no-deal situation, your gang were harping on about the money we would have incoming, that it would be the easiest DEAL ever done, and that everything would be great.

Can you explain how what you've posted there adds to your side of the argument?

Ever the optimist though, hopefully what this means is that you accept that no deal is not a good deal. But I suspect you'll post another link at some point counter-positing.
The only facts that Toby has posted during this entire debate is that Leave won the referendum. A point that nobody is disputing. He rarely strays from that point and rarely engages, if at all in debating the points that have been posted asking how things will be better and or improve after Brexit. With good reason, he can’t, nobody can, such a position cannot be supported without resorting to regurgitating even more extreme propaganda that can be refuted all too easily by anyone who has the skill to use an internet search engine.

Simples 😎👍🏻

Last edited:

Paul_RS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
James Cleverly during an interview today:

So you are going to increase criminality checks on people entering the UK from the EU?

Cleverly: Yes.

How, after a No Deal Brexit? The UK will have lost all its access to EU criminal records systems?

Cleverly: er......

Paul_RS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Boris Johnson continuing to try and fix an engineering problem with play dough.....

And some ooomph, in case you were wondering what that smell was..

Paul_RS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Big mistake, from a Brexiteer perspective, by Johnson to admit during his press conference with Merkel that 'the onus is on us' to come up with a legally viable alternative to the backstop.

His first major moment in the international spotlight and he's already screwed up his script…

Addendum: Full quote here…

'You [Merkel] rightly say the onus is on us to produce those solutions, those ideas, to show how we can address the issue of the Northern Irish border and that is what we want to do. I must say I am very glad listening to you tonight Angela to hear that at least the conversations that matter can now properly begin. You have set a very blistering timetable of 30 days - if I understood you correctly, I am more than happy with that’

One of the consequences of trying to navigate a minefield whilst wearing a pair of clown shoes or what happens when a pretend politician meets the real deal.

Last edited:

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llRussia
Big mistake, from a Brexiteer perspective, by Johnson to admit during his press conference with Merkel that 'the onus is on us' to come up with a legally viable alternative to the backstop.

His first major moment in the international spotlight and he's already screwed up his script…

Addendum: Full quote here…

'You [Merkel] rightly say the onus is on us to produce those solutions, those ideas, to show how we can address the issue of the Northern Irish border and that is what we want to do. I must say I am very glad listening to you tonight Angela to hear that at least the conversations that matter can now properly begin. You have set a very blistering timetable of 30 days - if I understood you correctly, I am more than happy with that’

One of the consequences of trying to navigate a minefield whilst wearing a pair of clown shoes or what happens when a pretend politician meets the real deal.
Listened to them both. She comes across as professional, intelligent, and straight. He comes across as a fucking imbecile.

Fucking embarrassing.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Yep, he tried the clown line. No one will fall for the trap. The sooner the election, the better

Paul_RS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I like this..

BelgianSPCbis
4h ago
There is the political idiocy of calling a referendum that was uncalled for, only to solve an internal Tory party problem.

There is the idiocy of believing that a 52 - 48 vote and a 2 - 2 for the countries can translate into a hard Brexit.

There is the idiocy of believing that you can do a daring project such as Brexit based on the ideas of the least educated and the elderly, leaving behind the young and the better educated.

There is the political idiocy of calling a G.E. and then losing said election.
There is the political idiocy of trying to achieve Brexit with only the Tories and the DUP on board, then to be held hostage by both the DUP and the ERG.

There is the political idiocy of being an opposition leader against a failing Tory party and still being able to score lower in the polls.

There is the idiocy of the Leavers who are unable to see that their Brexit is failing abysmally and taking your society with it.

And there is the idiocy of the Remainers who are unable to translate their majority in the HoC and in the population into anything remotely useful.

All collectively unable to see that Brexit is not the problem nor the solution, but that your current division is. That you have a political system that cannot handle the 21st century and that having a political class that is elite-bred is a catastrophe
In a reaction on a previous post, somebody remarked testily that I should offer proof of what I called the decay. Si monumentum requiris, circumspice. If you want proof, just look around you.

Last edited:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like this..

BelgianSPCbis
4h ago
There is the political idiocy of calling a referendum that was uncalled for, only to solve an internal Tory party problem.

There is the idiocy of believing that a 52 - 48 vote and a 2 - 2 for the countries can translate into a hard Brexit.

There is the idiocy of believing that you can do a daring project such as Brexit based on the ideas of the least educated and the elderly, leaving behind the young and the better educated.

There is the political idiocy of calling a G.E. and then losing said election.
There is the political idiocy of trying to achieve Brexit with only the Tories and the DUP on board, then to be held hostage by both the DUP and the ERG.

There is the political idiocy of being an opposition leader against a failing Tory party and still being able to score lower in the polls.

There is the idiocy of the Leavers who are unable to see that their Brexit is failing abysmally and taking your society with it.

And there is the idiocy of the Remainers who are unable to translate their majority in the HoC and in the population into anything remotely useful.

All collectively unable to see that Brexit is not the problem nor the solution, but that your current division is. That you have a political system that cannot handle the 21st century and that having a political class that is elite-bred is a catastrophe
In a reaction on a previous post, somebody remarked testily that I should offer proof of what I called the decay. Si monumentum requiris, circumspice. If you want proof, just look around you.
Is it possible to conceive of even one or two positive effects of Brexit ? Most difficult decisions have a sort of ying-yang quality, plus here minus there. Surely, it ain’t all bad. Remember Y2K ? Were you hanging out in a bomb shelter for that? Everything will work out fine.

Last edited:

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Is it possible to conceive of even one or two positive effects of Brexit ? Most difficult decisions have a sort of ying-yang quality, plus here minus there. Surely, it ain’t all bad. Remember Y2K ? We’re you hanging out in a bomb shelter for that? Everything will work out fine.
Said Neville Chamberlain after the Munich agreement....

I don’t know really. I’m European and I think it’s a mistake, and it’s costing me money already.... but who knows?