• Total voters

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llRussia
So, if I got some joy from the blowing up of the Nazi symbol at Nuremberg, that would be schadenfreude ?

No because it doesn't literally mean joy from any damage. It's a contextualised word. But if the guy setting the explosives accidentally blew himself up and you chortled a little then that would probably be schadenfreude.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
What's he said? I just dare not look.
I wish it were not true, but ...
I could barely believe it myself. I can't think of a more moronically stupid part of Brexit. That will cost many lives, I'm certain.

NI has only had 20-30 years between wars ('20s, '50's, '71-'98) so it could be due one by historical precedent. While in 10+ years, due to demographic changes, unification would become more likely and undoubtly traumatic, that moronically stupid cunt has just pulled that conflict 10 years closer. And all for a few Tory cheers.

I suspect that he will find the Irish "don't know their place" the hard way.

Remember, the hysterical laughter is often followed by deep sobbing.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Euro? I'm sure the EU would welcome a Scottish application, on it's merits, definitely not to poke the English in the eye, of course.
Unlikely, the Scottish deficit would be too large for the country to accepted. To get it down to an acceptable level would entail finding £12B...ish. What do we stop paying for to find that money? It’s a dream, an idea, a belief that sustains a proportion of the population who for the main part have chosen to ignore the harsh realities of what it would actually entail. Sound familiar? I have friends who are nationalists, perfectly decent people BTW.

Last edited:

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I wish it were not true, but ...
I could barely believe it myself. I can't think of a more moronically stupid part of Brexit. That will cost many lives, I'm certain.

NI has only had 20-30 years between wars ('20s, '50's, '71-'98) so it could be due one by historical precedent. While in 10+ years, due to demographic changes, unification would become more likely and undoubtly traumatic, that moronically stupid cunt has just pulled that conflict 10 years closer. And all for a few Tory cheers.

I suspect that he will find the Irish "don't know their place" the hard way.

Remember, the hysterical laughter is often followed by deep sobbing.
We are dealing with a man who has built a career on mendacity, never lose sight of that. When once asked if he held any convictions he said yes he once got a conviction for speeding. He will throw anything and anyone under the bus if it suits his purpose.

Last edited:

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Last edited:

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
What's he said? I just dare not look.
The backstop will not be enforced when we leave, it only comes into force if alternative arrangements are not forthcoming before some yet to be defined date. We have been repeatedly advised that the world is tripping over technology that means a hard border will not be required. Unless they”re lying? Surely not?

Last edited:

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
While that may be true, the perception alone will ignite things. THIS IS NORTHERN IRELAND! with apologies to 300.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
We've finally got a Leave government - maybe soon we can get the hell out of the EU:

You might want to check your arithmetic on that one, working majority of 2, assuming all tories will vote with the government. Good luck with that one.

Polls have been constantly remain since March 2017. Once again you are spouting complete bollocks.

Last edited:

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
While that may be true, the perception alone will ignite things. THIS IS NORTHERN IRELAND! with apologies to 300.
Of course this assumes the WA is passed by Parliament and ratified by the EU. Not much chance of that happening, I would surmise.

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Don't agree with that. Some for sure. Most Brits don't see it in that way. Most English for example quite like the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish. Though I should rephrase and say most that I've known and met.

Of course we knock bells out of each other on all manner of issues. Be interesting to see a UK-wide referendum on Scottish independence. I think it would surprise people.

All my humble opinion of course.
Nothing wrong with your opinion, but it just doesn't tally with my experience of living there, which taught me that most British people can't tell the difference between a Dubliner, Corkman, or Northerner, and see Northern Ireland as a money pit and can't understand why the Irish keep fighting "amongst themselves".

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llRussia
Nothing wrong with your opinion, but it just doesn't tally with my experience of living there, which taught me that most British people can't tell the difference between a Dubliner, Corkman, or Northerner, and see Northern Ireland as a money pit and can't understand why the Irish keep fighting "amongst themselves".
Fair enough. I personally think it's just the brawling of syblings who otherwise have each other's backs. We'll always take the piss out of the (N) Irish, Scots and Welsh and they'll dish it out back in droves. Other than relatively small portions of each populace I don't think there's any genuine ill will. I've never been to Ireland other than in and out for business meetings but I've travelled Scotland and Wales extensively...not just the well travelled parts and that's my experience.

I think I'd be able to tell NI from Eire. But Dublin and Cork? They sound different do they ??? :) Don't you all sound like Donald Sutherland in The Eagle Has Landed ?

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Coincidentally I'm five years from being in the fortunate position of being able to retire and in the advance stages of making plans to go and live in the Moselle Valley in Germany (assuming they'll have me). Can't wait to get away from this shitty, dirty, small-minded, insular looking crap-hole.

It's like a breath of fresh air when I drive out of the Chunnel and hit the countryside across there.

Perhaps a little bit of German heritage coming through strong?
I didn't think Bolton was that bad !