• Total voters

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llRussia
Well, well...Boris's stunt with the kipper turned out to be a bit...er...fishy. Boris brandished the Isle of Man-produced fish, declaring it to be an example of the intrusiveness of EU laws and how they hamper British producers, exactly the kind of thing that won't be happening after Brexit. Those faceless evil eurocrats demand that the fish be shipped with an "ice pillow", you see, thus inflicting inconvenience and expense on already put-upon British producers.

The trouble is...(a) the Isle of Man isn't part of the EU and isn't bound by EU laws, and (b) the law requiring the "ice pillow" comes from...wait for it...Britain. Not that these factual revelations will bother Boris or his supporters, who seem to have barely a nodding acquaintance with the concepts of "truth" or "facts" anyway, but it is a neat and timely illustration of just why it is that Brexiteer utterances tend to be met with mockery from those outside the cult.

This is probably a good time to repeat the statistic that Britain has voted in favour of 85-95% of EU laws. In terms of examination grades back in my day, that would have meant Britain scoring an "A" in the subject of agreement with the EU. Funny kind of slavery, eh?
I visit the Isle of Man a lot. I have clients there and have quickly come to love the place such that me, the wife, and dog go over there when I'm across on business and make short breaks out of it. It's a stunning island. As much because of it's 'attitude' (it's like the bulldog of all islands), as it's outstanding beauty.

All that said...I nearly dropped my coffee cup when, during a visit to the IOM Creamery there I asked how Brexit would impact them, to which they responded "minimum, mainly because we're not part of the EU". I had no idea and felt rather foolish. But probably not quite as foolish as that moron Johnson feels now. Not that it will matter.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought he was talking about the Isle of Wight, and I was very confused as I had never heard that the Isle of Wight was anything but part of the UK. Put Isle in front of something and we Americans go all glassy eyed.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llRussia
I thought he was talking about the Isle of Wight, and I was very confused as I had never heard that the Isle of Wight was anything but part of the UK. Put Isle in front of something and we Americans go all glassy eyed.
:D

12 hours and half the length of the British Isles away.

Isle of Wight gets 5x as many people visiting it as the Isle of Man and is famous for absolutely nothing whereas the Isle of Man is WORLD famous for its motorcycle heritage, being the motorcycling capital of the world (Isle of Man TTs), for having the oldest continuous Parliament in the world (the Tynwald) and for two items of globally renowned foods, the Manx Queenie and the Manx Kipper (both with PDOs to their name).

Whilst it's a Crown Dependency it's not part of the UK, nor has it ever been conquered by the UK. And nor is it a member of the EU. It's strongly independent and confident. You can feel the change in attitude when you visit the place. As soon as you step on the island you can feel that you've left the UK and entered essentially what is a different country, despite sharing a language, values, and many customs.

During World War Two the British Government interned German and Austrian Jews on the island. They were well looked after in the main (they were able to augment rations with local delicacies mentioned above. The native islanders treated them generously and sympathetically, for many of them especially the children it was like one long holiday). Many stayed to set up a life there and there remains a small Jewish community of those who never left post-war (with a representative in the Tynwald but no Synagogue on the island).

It's a very interesting island. I'd recommend anyone visit it. As you can probably tell.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llRussia
Or, the Who.

The only place famous for music festivals are Woodstock and Glastonbury. And even so, they're famous only for the fact that famous people visit them and play once per year then piss of and live and play somewhere else.

PS: The Bee Gees came from the Isle of Man.

By the way. Isle of Wight is nice to. I'm (half) kidding. But, you state the Isle of Wight music festival and I raise you the motorcycling capital of the entire world.

Last edited:

Toby Pilling

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I don't think you're being mocked personally, just your religious-like devotion to Brexit, your inconsistent logic, and your use of whataboutery, link-dumping and unsubstaniated claims instead of anything resembling a reasoned argument.
Ha! I'm afraid I find the religious-like devotion is mostly committed by Remainers towards to EU. The High Priests of the BBC are happy to preach the doctrine:

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Open debate I'd say.

Why does a second referendum mock democracy ?
This

If , during the 2016 referendum campaign, you had told voters that MPs would be scrambling to stop the prime minister shutting down the legislature in order to force through food shortages, mass job losses and a crash in the pound, someone might have needed to change the slogan on the side of that bus. What is happening right now in Britain goes beyond any previously conceivable limits of responsible or accountable governance. Viewed against the country which seemed to exist just a few years ago, it is quite literally unbelievable. Read the full article below

Last edited:

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ha! I'm afraid I find the religious-like devotion is mostly committed by Remainers towards to EU. The High Priests of the BBC are happy to preach the doctrine:

I guess irony doesn’t exist on planet Pilling, or maybe it’s been branded traitorous?

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Or alternatively

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I visit the Isle of Man a lot. I have clients there and have quickly come to love the place such that me, the wife, and dog go over there when I'm across on business and make short breaks out of it. It's a stunning island. As much because of it's 'attitude' (it's like the bulldog of all islands), as it's outstanding beauty.

All that said...I nearly dropped my coffee cup when, during a visit to the IOM Creamery there I asked how Brexit would impact them, to which they responded "minimum, mainly because we're not part of the EU". I had no idea and felt rather foolish. But probably not quite as foolish as that moron Johnson feels now. Not that it will matter.
It might be a bit more nuanced than that.

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain

12 hours and half the length of the British Isles away.

Isle of Wight gets 5x as many people visiting it as the Isle of Man and is famous for absolutely nothing whereas the Isle of Man is WORLD famous for its motorcycle heritage, being the motorcycling capital of the world (Isle of Man TTs), for having the oldest continuous Parliament in the world (the Tynwald) and for two items of globally renowned foods, the Manx Queenie and the Manx Kipper (both with PDOs to their name).

Whilst it's a Crown Dependency it's not part of the UK, nor has it ever been conquered by the UK. And nor is it a member of the EU. It's strongly independent and confident. You can feel the change in attitude when you visit the place. As soon as you step on the island you can feel that you've left the UK and entered essentially what is a different country, despite sharing a language, values, and many customs.

During World War Two the British Government interned German and Austrian Jews on the island. They were well looked after in the main (they were able to augment rations with local delicacies mentioned above. The native islanders treated them generously and sympathetically, for many of them especially the children it was like one long holiday). Many stayed to set up a life there and there remains a small Jewish community of those who never left post-war (with a representative in the Tynwald but no Synagogue on the island).

It's a very interesting island. I'd recommend anyone visit it. As you can probably tell.
As far as I remember is, by Spanish law, a tax haven, with the worst meaning possible. A few other countries regard it as a tax haven (you can have your money there, but better if nobody knows that...)

Anyway, you can say the same about Gibraltar and the Channel Islands... A place where you can hide your money from the fiscal authority of any EU member.... great place.

Pd: I’m not sure 100% about that statements, because the law can change if the tax haven authority start to cooperate to find black and laundered money.

Pd2: I don’t know how many people lives by fishing in the Isle of Man, but I think that’s not their main industry by far....

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llRussia
As far as I remember is, by Spanish law, a tax haven, with the worst meaning possible. A few other countries regard it as a tax haven (you can have your money there, but better if nobody knows that...)

Anyway, you can say the same about Gibraltar and the Channel Islands... A place where you can hide your money from the fiscal authority of any EU member.... great place.

Pd: I’m not sure 100% about that statements, because the law can change if the tax haven authority start to cooperate to find black and laundered money.

Pd2: I don’t know how many people lives by fishing in the Isle of Man, but I think that’s not their main industry by far....
Insurance and Financial Services are their largest industries and they are fully regulated by the Financial Services Authority (I work in insurance hence my visits there). I believe they have large EGaming and ECommerce economies also. It's always had a capability through the years to adapt.

It's not a Tax Haven. It's a Low Tax Economy. Very different things.

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Insurance and Financial Services are their largest industries and they are fully regulated by the Financial Services Authority (I work in insurance hence my visits there). I believe they have large EGaming and ECommerce economies also. It's always had a capability through the years to adapt.

No. Spanish law rate it as tax haven for sure. Low tax economy can be Eire

RD 1080/1991 de 5 de Julio, BOE numero 167 de 13 de Julio.

That decree gives you the list of tax havens, if the country agrees to cooperate, then it can be excluded from the list. Spanish authority will tax you harder the goods or rents from Isle of Man. And Gibraltar or Channel Islands

I work for the Spanish IRS (AEAT)

Last edited:

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llRussia
No. Spanish law rate it as tax haven for sure. Low tax economy can be Eire

RD 1080/1991 de 5 de Julio, BOE numero 167 de 13 de Julio
It's a low tax economy. Fully regulated by the Financial Services Authority. If you've never worked in the UK financial sector you probably won't understand what this means. I do and I can tell you it's very strong regulation indeed. For example I have to pass online examination every single year on issues such as Money Laundering, Fraud, etc. And if I'm ever found guilty of a financial related crime, or ever file personally for Bankruptcy then I can never work in the regulated sector again.

If Spanish Law considers it a Tax Haven then so be it. But the Isle of Man does not. The Tynwald add strong regulation and rules on top of the FSA regulation.

An interesting read on the subject:
http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=37007&headline=Why the Isle of Man is NOT a tax haven&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2017

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
That list isn’t closed. It can change if they cooperate with Spanish tax authorities. Ei: the Oman Sultanate is no longer a tax haven since 2014...

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
It's definitely a tax haven.

Facing international pressure over the last years like other offshore centers things are moving in the right direction. Slowly

Last edited: