• Total voters

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llRussia
Ursula von der Leyen was elected last night by the newly elected European Parliament as the new President of the EU Commission.
The new MEPs voted ‘narrowly’ (apparently) 383 to 327.
Or 53.9% to 46.1%.
Or, put another way, twice the margin of the Brexit referendum vote.
Meanwhile, Nigel Farage says he’s going to use Mrs Von der Leyen as a ‘poster girl’ for Brexit.
Hopefully, if he does, it’ll spectacularly backfire - because she has been elected by a clear majority of EU citizens’ recently elected representatives, and she was elected by a significantly larger margin than the UK voted to leave the EU.
Again though, they don't understand irony. Toby will be here in a moment yelling "Democracy", and that yellow streak of piss from Scandanavia (the one who rips off ASL products and badges it as his own) will be here shouting "Gulag Wanker...Gulag Wanker...Gulag Wanker"...

:D

Toby Pilling

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Whover gets selected at Conservative party leader, they can be voted out of their constituency, or their party can be voted out of government - not so the EU president. The EU is beyond reform:

Paul_RS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Whover gets selected at Conservative party leader, they can be voted out of their constituency, or their party can be voted out of government - not so the EU president. The EU is beyond reform:

Brexit Logics
  1. Claimed EU is undemocratic but happy to prorogue UK parliament
  2. Claimed immigrants damage their towns but happy to DIRECTLY cause SIGNIFICANT economic damage to the entire country and break the union
  3. Claimed to be willing to wait for decades to see benefit of Brexit but cannot spend a few months or a couple of years to come up with a well considered exit plan
  4. Claimed to want a Global Competitive Britain but accused immigrants of introducing competition in the UK (i.e. blaming without proof that immigrants undercutting them)
  5. Claimed that it is a price worth paying for but wanting compensation for farmers & car manufacturers
  6. Claimed immigrants stole their jobs but vegetable & fruits rot in the field because could not hire enough people to pick them
  7. Claimed high level of red tape in EU regulations, e.g. blue passport, bendy bananas, smoked fish but never realised that none of these have anything to do with EU
  8. Claimed that UK wants to make its own laws but cannot name a single law that affects them and forgot the fact that UK always involved in drafting these laws
  9. Claimed that WTO is good for the country but cannot name a single country that trades solely on WTO
  10. Claimed that Brexit MUST be done but cannot give a single logical & sensible for Brexit
  11. Brexit is costing £500m a week, think l’d rather spend it on the NHS

Last edited:

Paul_RS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Length of term 5 years. Next.... cognitive dissonance at it’s very finest

Paul_RS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It wasn't which is precisely the point. Hard-brexiteers can't claim democracy demands the only way is crash-out, because that wasn't a choice on the ballot paper either. Another inconvenient truth is that the vote followed a pro-Brexit campaign that did not focus on crashing out at all, promising instead something very different. "All the benefits...", remember?

This is why TM's confident statement that "Brexit means Brexit" was such nonsense. She might as well have announced that the identity of Jack the Ripper was the person who committed the ripper murders.
Irony is lost cause in the case of our happy Brexiter he is salivating at the thought his very own gammondammerung 🤪

Last edited:

Paul_RS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The EU. Shit. I'm still only in the EU. Every time I think I'm gonna wake up back in the world. When I was home after my first European holiday, it was worse. I'd wake up and there'd be nothing. I hardly said a word to my wife, until I said "yes" to a divorce. When I was here, I wanted to be out; when I was there, all I could think of was getting back into the world. I’ve been here 3 years now, waiting for Brexit, getting softer. Every minute I stay in, I get weaker, and every minute The EU squats Across the Channel, getting stronger. I wanted a hard Brexit, and for my sins they gave it to me. When it was over I’d never want another.

With apologies to Coppola and Cpt. Willard- Apocalypse Now.

Last edited:

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Irony is lost cause in the case of our happy Brexiter he is salivating at the thought his very own gammondamerrung 😜
While maybe you intended "Götterdämmerung", gammondamerrung might be more accurate with problems with food supply, including pork products. Hitler's U-boot commanders would have been proud.

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
While maybe you intended "Götterdämmerung", gammondamerrung might be more accurate with problems with food supply, including pork products. Hitler's U-boot commanders would have been proud.
As Springsteen sings in "Youngstown"...

"Well my daddy come on the Ohio works
When he come home from World War Two
Now the yard's just scrap and rubble
He said "Them big boys did what Hitler couldn't do."

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Technically, whoever gets selected as conservative party leader can remain PM as long as the conservatives have a parliamentary majority, whether they have been voted out of their position as an MP or not. It's very recent for us to have a requirement that the PM is a member if the house of commons and technically it is still not needed. But don't let that stop you.

Paul_RS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Technically, whoever gets selected as conservative party leader can remain PM as long as the conservatives have a parliamentary majority, whether they have been voted out of their position as an MP or not. It's very recent for us to have a requirement that the PM is a member if the house of commons and technically it is still not needed. But don't let that stop you.
Careful, facts are kryptonite to Brexiteers.

Paul_RS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llRussia
Another dagger in the heart of a no deal Brexit in Parliament today.

Thank God for our Parliamentary Democracy

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
It seems strange to me that I am constantly mocked by some on this forum for standing up for democracy. Hey-ho. To be fair, the whole notion of a second referendum makes a mockery of democracy anyway:

I don't think you're being mocked personally, just your religious-like devotion to Brexit, your inconsistent logic, and your use of whataboutery, link-dumping and unsubstaniated claims instead of anything resembling a reasoned argument.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llRussia

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Well, well...Boris's stunt with the kipper turned out to be a bit...er...fishy. Boris brandished the Isle of Man-produced fish, declaring it to be an example of the intrusiveness of EU laws and how they hamper British producers, exactly the kind of thing that won't be happening after Brexit. Those faceless evil eurocrats demand that the fish be shipped with an "ice pillow", you see, thus inflicting inconvenience and expense on already put-upon British producers.

The trouble is...(a) the Isle of Man isn't part of the EU and isn't bound by EU laws, and (b) the law requiring the "ice pillow" comes from...wait for it...Britain. Not that these factual revelations will bother Boris or his supporters, who seem to have barely a nodding acquaintance with the concepts of "truth" or "facts" anyway, but it is a neat and timely illustration of just why it is that Brexiteer utterances tend to be met with mockery from those outside the cult.

This is probably a good time to repeat the statistic that Britain has voted in favour of 85-95% of EU laws. In terms of examination grades back in my day, that would have meant Britain scoring an "A" in the subject of agreement with the EU. Funny kind of slavery, eh?