• Total voters

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llRussia
Never seems to stop most from talking about American politics or is the US really so dominant in your lives? -- jim
Who's stopping him commenting??

All I said is that it's easy to say "gamble" when it's other people's money that's being gambled. Right ?

Sparafucil3

Elder Member
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Who's stopping him commenting??

All I said is that it's easy to say "gamble" when it's other people's money that's being gambled. Right ?
I didn't say you were stopping him from talking, I was more commenting that a lot of people with no skin in the game comment on American politics all the time. As you said, it's easy when it's other people's money. All of that to say, we are in agreement philosophically. -- jim

Toby Pilling

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ok, you’re argumentive irishman, I was talking to Toby about Brexit and what a good idea it is.
Hey Bob! I do hope we eventually manage to leave the EU. The problem is that there are dark, anti-democratic forces at work here who never accepted the legitimacy of the referendum and are determined to overturn it.
I pray the will of the people prevails.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I know this was said mostly in sarcasm, but it isn't far from the truth either. At least for now. -- jim
I don't think it was said in sarcasm at all. It is very much a matter of fact. It is also why the US has to be careful in what it does lest it foment an unjustified but real resentment.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llRussia
Hey Bob! I do hope we eventually manage to leave the EU. The problem is that there are dark, anti-democratic forces at work here who never accepted the legitimacy of the referendum and are determined to overturn it.
I pray the will of the people prevails.
You had it...all you needed was the loony Tory's to persuade their loony Tory 'allies' to vote it through.

Had it...and lost it.

No-one else's fault but the Tories.

Last edited:

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I know this was said mostly in sarcasm, but it isn't far from the truth either. At least for now. -- jim
Definitely not in sarcasm, a simple statement of fact. Phrases like "The US sneezes, the World catches cold." come to mind. It's not just military or economic power, much of modern Western culture came from the US. The fact that the US government is exhibiting the chaos and internal infighting worthy of a feudal court and is directed by an erratic individual that would have made Khrushchev seem positively funereal is a source of concern to the rest of the inhabitants of this planet. Prior to Spanky my main worry would have been about the likes of Putin or Pakistan. Sure, the likes of Palin garnered a giggle or two from me, but Spanky has dialled my serious interest in US politics to 11.

Of course our common use of English facilitates all this. Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the UK (prior to Brexit) were quite boring in comparison. Brexit UK is just tragic, without the lighter comedic moments that General Secretary Spanky often provides.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the UK (prior to Brexit) were quite boring in comparison. Brexit UK is just tragic, without the lighter comedic moments that General Secretary Spanky often provides.
Do not underestimate the capability of BoJo to surprise "on the upside" for that matter.

Last edited:

Toby Pilling

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Happy Independence Day to our American cousins! Hopefully we'll soon regain our own independence, though some of the arguments being made against it sound very similar...

Sparafucil3

Elder Member
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
We are not an empire, or if we are, we're pretty shitty at it. Conquer all of Europe, spend billions re-building it, give it all back but for the cemeteries to bury our dead. Same for the far east. You would think we would have learned better from our parent nation. -- jim

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
We are not an empire, or if we are, we're pretty shitty at it. Conquer all of Europe, spend billions re-building it, give it all back but for the cemeteries to bury our dead.
I guess a Russian could say the same word for word.

Sparafucil3

Elder Member
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
When we invade Georgia or the Crimea, they can for sure. -- jim

PS: Let's not forget the Russian contribution to reconstruction too.
PPS: and the decades of occupation. The repatriations pulled from eastern Europe. The millions of Germans who died in Gulags and weren't released until well into the 70's. Exactly the same.

Last edited:

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They spent billions re-building Eastern Europe?

I don't think so. They took billions in repatriations and killed anyone who disagreed.

Sparafucil3

Elder Member
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I don't think so. They took billions in repatriations and killed anyone who disagreed.
Don't forget the occupation of the lands they "freed" for communism. That lasted decades. -- jim

Paul_RS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
You have no skin in the game. You can pretty much think what you want. Nothing that happens will effect you. If it happens and it all works out you can come on and tell us all how right you were. If the opposite happens you can shrug it off and say "it was a good idea".

On the other hand my job, my Pension, and my general well-being is on the front line. It's not a good idea for me and mine, not-least because my company are already in the process of moving their HQ to Frankfurt on Main, which likely means job losses in London, which could possibly filter out into the regions where I am. This is happening right now, on the basis of the possibility of Brexit. What do you seriously think they are going to do if it finally happens? This is Brexit affecting real people.

Do you understand the difference? Whatever happens, you are on the sidelines looking in. If it all goes tits up, my life goes to a large extent down the shitter. If it all works out, I'll be marginally (hardly noticeably) better off...possibly.

Right?

A lot of the people who voted for Brexit of course couldn't give a shit about people like me with my first world problems (decent job, decent pension, aspirations, etc.). They have fuck all, and just want to burn it all down. Basically they want people such as me to be damaged and, ideally, to be dragged down to their level. Course, it's not people like me who has damaged them, but they don't care. They see me pottering around in my motorhome, with my decent but modest house, and think "fuck you", if I can't have that I'm going to do what I can do to make it so you can't either.
Brilliant, Martin, pretty much sums up my views regarding some of the postings by the uninformed ‘seems like good idea’ but I really haven’t looked into it in any detail crowd.

Paul_RS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ann Widdecombe obviously doesn&#39;t want people to see this...<br><br>I think you know what to do... <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BrexitPartyNotInMyName?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#BrexitPartyNotInMyName</a> <a href="https://t.co/qvtiRe5x0o">pic.twitter.com/qvtiRe5x0o</a></p>&mdash; Kishan Devani FRSA 🔶 (@Kishan_Devani) <a href=" ">July 4, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>