THE BREACH revisited

Arno

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Short AAR: THE BREACH (second try)

After I didn't use my air and arty assets very well the first time, I decided to revisit this scenario and try to do better.

After finding out (through the manual) that I had UAVs at my disposal, I set them to hold fire and used them to scout the enemy positions. After finding the enemy's ADA vehicles and arty batteries, I used my arty to take out these units beginning with ADA. After ADA was gone, my UAVs knocked out a few arty vehicles until their ammo was depleted.
As the skies were now quite friendly, my Apaches and Thunderbolts came in and really beat up the enemy forces. After almost two hours of prep arty and air strikes, my ground forces finally were sent in. They managed to secure their objectives without a shot fired.

A question to the pros: It took me two hours to reach the objectives after the first shot at the DMZ was fired. Would you say that this was way too long or is it ok to pound the enemy for that amount of time before sending in the grunts?!

I couldn't find a time limit or something like that in the OPORD so I took my time :D

The results were as follows: (sorry, but I couldn't get the txt file to display correctly; the first digit is starting and the second is ending strength of the above unit)

Enemy Starting and Ending Combat Power:
Vehicle Type
Starting
Ending

AT Team (RPG-7)
MG Team (PKM)
Type 63A Amphib Tank
BMP-1 IFV
SOF Team (NK)
Artillery Battery FDC (NK)
Mi-17 Hip Multipurpose Helo
SU-39
MD-500 (NK)
SA-11 Gadfly SP ADA
M1985 152mm Towed Artillery
M1990 30mm Gatling (ADA)

Friendly Starting and Ending Combat Power:
Vehicle Type
Starting
Ending

SK Fire Team (Mech Dismount)
Dismount Rifle Sqd (US-ROK)
Weapons Sqd (US)
Dragon Team (SK)
M1A3 Tank SEP
M2A3 IFV Bradley
M3A3 CFV
M6 Linebacker
M1064 120mm Mortar Carrier
M-7 FIST-V
M58 Smoke Carrier 'Wolf'
M113A3 Sapper APC
M1114 HMMWV Scout (HMG)
M1077 PLS-E
PLS Flatrack (IF Ammo)
M109A6 155mm SP Paladin
M992 FAASV
AH-64D Apache Longbow
K9 155mm SP 'Thunder'
K200A1 KIFV
BMP3 IFV (SK)
M1 Grizzly Breaching Vehicle
K2 MBT
K277A1 FDC (SK)
M4 C2 Vehicle FDC
Dismount Scout Team (US-ROK)
M1A3 Tank SEP (Plow)
MQ-9B Predator UAV (Armed)
T80U MBT
T-80U MBT (Plow)
OA-10 Thunderbolt II

Take care,
Arno

JamesBailey

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A question to the pros: It took me two hours to reach the objectives after the first shot at the DMZ was fired. Would you say that this was way too long or is it ok to pound the enemy for that amount of time before sending in the grunts?!

I couldn't find a time limit or something like that in the OPORD so I took my time :D
Only your chain of command can answer that question. If its not in the OPORD its up to you - the tactical commander - to obtain objective with as little damage to friendlies as possible. If its not in the OPORD, the tactical commander should probably contact the operational commander and get that timing because its pretty important :OHNO:

2 hours, for a battalion level breach operation does not sound to long to me (it might to the blitzkrieging Rommel, but probably not to a US commander).

How you fought - exploiting the enemy's weakness with your strength - is how the US Army fights (or tries to). We favor indirect fires over direct fires, because direct fires have higher chance of getting your people killed. We also increasingly favor intel collected by indirect means as well (e.g. the UAVs you used) because again, it keeps our people alive.

Excellent work Arno!

Arno

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Thanks James! I'm quite pleased with the results myself ;)

It may sound strange to you guys, but with RT I grasped a really basic idea for the very first time: that fighting a war is not about fighting a fair fight... :D Basically I always knew that of course, but only after this scenario I really got the point... Hit your enemy where it hurts in a way he can't hit back!
I don't know why, but this point took many techno-thrillers and wargames to sink in :smoke:

I guess it's all those RTS games that are balanced so that they are fun in multiplayer (C&Cs rock-paper-scissor principle etc) that kinda hid that idea from me...

Anyway, it was a great scenario and right now I face the tough decision of either going to bed or just getting a look at a new scenario... :clown:

Thanks for your comments,
take care

Arno

Pat Proctor

President, ProSim Company
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
VERY NICE, ARNO.

Sticking it to the bad guy feels even better when its Kim Jung Il :)