The Book of Eli

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
People were saying that they thought this was a thinly-veiled "Fallout" film, but I didn't see it....

[YOUTUBE]JKfZrbS79To[/YOUTUBE]

...until I saw that fading text at the end. It's right out of Fallout 3! :D But seriously, it does have more than a little FO3 vibe going on. If Denzel found a way to rehydrate the world....

Still, looks pretty good.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The full trailer is out...and it looks like it might be a lot of fun!

[YOUTUBE]1dh4n256QNc[/YOUTUBE]

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Q#$%@#$%@#$ I just watched until the end of the trailer, I gotta wait till January for it... (I hadn't caught that part on the TV commercials.)

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Almost here... I'm wondering if I should schedule opening night with the guys (I suspect the wife won't be interested), or just cut from work to see a matinee and avoid the crowds.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I didn't expect this:

Is Book Of Eli A Christian Movie? We Ask The Hughes Bros.

This is gonna get a lot of critics into a frenzy.:D I mean, some of them still haven't recovered from Passion of the Christ!

Albert Hughes:

If you talk about anything sacred, you have handle it right. You can't just go in there and make a movie and be careless about it because you are stepping on people's beliefs. You can't go into something like that being silly about it, no matter what you believe.
Smart man, even if his later answers seem to suggest a very confused rationale for the film. :)

[video=youtube;bp4LTEy-jWU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp4LTEy-jWU&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Oooh...I wanted to see how that ended!

This interview does make me a bit more interested in the story. It seems like they are going for a vague treatment of the classic A Canticle for Leibowitz. That could be interesting. However, like I mentioned above, the Hughes brothers answered some of the religiosity questions in peculiar, contradictory, and scoffing ways. This makes me suspicious as to whether or not they really knew what they were doing when they made the movie. Either that or they are now trying to save face in such a secular town as Hollywood.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see how this plays out.

(btw: have you noticed how Passion of the Christ has been left off every "best films of the decade" list, despite that fact that it won multiple awards and grossed a fortune?)

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hmm...coincidence?

As spiritual films bring in the bucks, Hollywood gets more religious

It's everywhere at the multiplex these days: religion. Or if that word makes you uncomfortable, you can go with the more general "spirituality."

In movies as varied as the dead serious "The Road," the uplifting family picture "The Blind Side," the biting comedy "The Invention of Lying" and even James Cameron's sci-fi opus "Avatar," issues of faith and morality and mankind's place in the universe are all the rage.

Not all of these movies embrace religion. Some question human gullibility. Some ask for evidence of a higher purpose in what often seems a random universe. But whether they encourage prayer or doubt, they're all part of the zeitgeist.

But why now?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Just saw it. And I will say this.

Don't read any reviews about this movie. None. Don't talk to anyone about this moive. Don't read any spoilers about this movie. At all. If you do you will ruin the whole movie for yourself.

Just see it and enjoy it for what it is. It's quite good.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Don't read any reviews about this movie. None. Don't talk to anyone about this moive. Don't read any spoilers about this movie. At all. If you do you will ruin the whole movie for yourself.

I am very glad to hear that. Thanks for the tip!

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I played hookey to go watch a matinee on opening day. I second Don's advice, just go see it.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Saw it last night, was mightily unimpressed. Formula movie from first to last.

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I might go see this one. Garry Oldman is always good.
You know everyone raved about Heath Ledger's Joker in the Dark Knight, but I thought Oldman gave the performance of his career as Gordon in that movie. He was just impossible not to watch in every scene he was in.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You know everyone raved about Heath Ledger's Joker in the Dark Knight, but I thought Oldman gave the performance of his career as Gordon in that movie. He was just impossible not to watch in every scene he was in.
The Dark Knight was one of the most over-rated movies in history. I wonder if it would have gotten the same publicity if Ledger didn't OD....