Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I know Don asked for 1 film, but I am torn between ...

Thin Red Line (Terrence Malick); Absolutely stunning film.
Cross Of Iron (Sam Peckinpah); Still stands out after all those years, I think the best film of its era.
Alexander Nevsky (Sergei Eisenstein); A John Ford style 'Eastern'.
Red Cliff (John Woo); Chinese film based upon the a battle (208 CE) and the Annals Of The Three Kingdoms.
Assembly (Feng Xiaoga) Centred around the end of the Chinese Civil War.
Kagemusha (Akira Kurosawa); Japanese Warring States period.

The reason I have such difficulty is they have very different approaches to the subject of war yet are the peak of their particular direction.

Last edited:

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Indeed. The original and best. Many a modern to post modern drama series works on seven characters.
Wasn't the western movie "The Magnificent Seven" with Yul Brener, Charles Bronson, Robert Vaughn, et al, based on that movie?:hmmm:

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Surprised I didn't see this thread before. It's a good one. Anyway, my favs in no particular order:

1) Patton - A no brainer really. An amazing performance by George C. Scott. Great screenplay by Frances Ford Coppola. This amazing movie works on so many different levels, though to be fair it is more of a military biography than a war movie. Also, unlike the old PC Gamer wargame critic Bill Trotter, I was not bothered at all by the unauthentic tanks. ;)
2) Tora! Tora! Tora! - A masterpiece of production, editing, and pacing. It was amazing how this movie was filled with tension and anticipation even though the viewer knows what's going to happen.
3) Cross of Iron - Far and away the best thing Peckinpah ever did. The cast, the screenplay, the battles scenes were all incredible. This one in my book is maybe tied for the number one spot with Patton.
4) Paths of Glory - The battle scenes in this old Kubrick film maybe were just sort of OK, but the acting and screenplay were stunning! Kirk Douglas was never better. The best antiwar film ever.
5) Sergei Bondarchuck's War and Peace - The Battle of Borodino in this film has to be seen to be believed. They used about 50,000 Russian troops to stage it. The film I believe was completed about 1970, but after all these years as spectacles go few films can touch it.
6) The Battle of Midway sequence from the War and Remembrance miniseries - Some might disagree with me on this, but truth be told, I liked the Midway sequence in this miniseries better than the Charleton Heston Midway movie. Actor GD Spraudlin was great as Admiral Spruance.

Honorable Mentions:
Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket - Maybe not without its flaws (most notably lead actor Mathew Modine's smugness), but I liked it a lot better than Oliver Stone's Platoon, and the battle of Hue sequence reminded me of the house-to-house fighting in Stalingrad.
Son of the Morning Star - I felt like I was really watching the Little Bighorn campaign in this tv miniseries, and Gary Cole was great as the enigmatic George Armstrong Custer.
Glory - Although the assault on Battery Wagner was great, I was totally blown away by the Battle of Antietam sequence at the beginning of the film.

And a couple of the meh's:
Stalingrad - This should have been the best war movie ever, but it was just sort of OK. Although the couple of battle scenes were tremendous and there were some memorable lines in the screenplay, the movie to my mind reeked of revisionist German post war guilt and angst.
The Red Baron - This one was a huge disappointment. I didn't like the pretty boy actor who played von Richtofen, there was no final dogfight between von Richtofen and Brown, and even the usually sexy Lena Headey managed to look dumpy. ;)

BTW, not sure how Andrei Tarkovsky's 'Solaris' got in this thread, but I have to agree that it is a great film. It's maybe a bit slow-going at times, but anyone with the patience to stick it out to the end will be blown away by the ending.

And Morbii, yes, I agree with you about 'Ran'. Finally saw it last year from Netflix and thought it was fantastic! Thinking about it now almost makes me want to play Shogun: Total War.

Last edited:

blogmybrain

Recruit
Reaction score
My personal favorite is BLACK BOOK. Pervy Dutch director Paul Verhoeven is better known for Basic Instinct and Showgirls, but war movies are his true métier. In this deliciously plotted WWII survival tale (a comeback of sorts for the Hollywood exile), a hotcha Jewish singer becomes a spy, a freedom fighter and a bed partner of Nazis.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My personal favorite is BLACK BOOK. Pervy Dutch director Paul Verhoeven is better known for Basic Instinct and Showgirls, but war movies are his true métier. In this deliciously plotted WWII survival tale (a comeback of sorts for the Hollywood exile), a hotcha Jewish singer becomes a spy, a freedom fighter and a bed partner of Nazis.
Thanks for the recommendation. I put Black Book in my Netflix queue. Yes, Paul Verhoeven is definitely an offbeat director. I loved the touches of dark cynicism he always seemed to put in his science fiction films.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would like to mention the Errol Flynn movie, "They died with their Boots On".....

This B&W classic has some great action scenes that were filmed out in the wilds of Central California, before farms and people moved in......

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
I would like to mention the Errol Flynn movie, "They died with their Boots On".....

This B&W classic has some great action scenes that were filmed out in the wilds of Central California, before farms and people moved in......
And was a theme for one of Iron Maiden songs.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Great quotes from 'They Died with their Boots On':

'Queen's Own' Butler - "So what if I'm not an American? Who do you Yankees think you are? The only real Americans I know of wear warpaint and have feathers in their hair!"

Gen. Phil Sheridan - "We don't concern ourselves here with how wars are started, only the fighting of them."

Speaking of Errol Flynn, I need to see Dawn Patrol again. As I recall Flynn and Sir David Niven were great in that one.

Last edited:

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
My personal favorite is BLACK BOOK. Pervy Dutch director Paul Verhoeven is better known for Basic Instinct and Showgirls, .
He is best known and roundly despised for totally F***ING UP a Heinlien classic. Starship Troopers could have been fantastic but he made a craptastic remake of Zulu.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I dunno AdrianE, although I agree that Verhoeven's take on Starship Troopers was something of a missed opportunity, I don't think it was as bad as you say. I give it a B-. Also, rather than Zulu, I kept thinking of Beau Geste when watching that movie. ;)

What's everyone's opinion of 'Das Boot'? When I finally got around to watching it a few years ago I thought it was mostly good but fell short of all the hype and laurels the movie has received over the years. Maybe I need to watch it again, but I felt it was good not great.

FYI, just put two Israeli war films in my Netflix queue. One is about a tank crew in Lebanon, and another about a medic on the Syrian front during the 73 war. Speaking of Israel, of the three Entebbe raid movies I still liked the Charles Bronson film the best, though all three had their merits.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
What's everyone's opinion of 'Das Boot'? When I finally got around to watching it a few years ago I thought it was mostly good but fell short of all the hype and laurels the movie has received over the years. Maybe I need to watch it again, but I felt it was good not great.
"Das Boot the film" is a cut down version of the TV miniseries. The best war drama ever made for TV. I actually like the film, seeing the craft of the editors, but the series so relies on you becoming familiar with the characters for the emotional connection that it is the thing to watch. I'll tell you this: I have no time for the Germans in WWII, but I was so tense as the submarine gets depth charged by British destroyers. What a moment.

The more recent version of the film on DVD benefits from having Prochnow (played the skipper), Petersen (director) and some guy from Columbia provide a very entertaining commentary.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Trevpr1, yes, now that I think about it, the depth charge scene in Das Boot was very intense. Also, I'd forgotten that Jurgen Prochnow played the captain. I thought he was great as Duke Leto Atreides in Dune. Anyway, I put the director's cut of Das Boot in my Netflix queue. I didn't know there was a miniseries. Would like to see it.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Trevpr1, yes, now that I think about it, the depth charge scene in Das Boot was very intense. Also, I'd forgotten that Jurgen Prochnow played the captain. I thought he was great as Duke Leto Atreides in Dune. Anyway, I put the director's cut of Das Boot in my Netflix queue. I didn't know there was a miniseries. Would like to see it.

I'd get this:

http://www.amazon.com/Das-Boot-Original-Uncut-Version/dp/B0001XAOLQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1344660009&sr=8-3&keywords=das+boot

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Trev - Unfortunately Netflix doesn't have the miniseries version of Das Boot. Oh well, guess I'll have to settle for the Director's Cut.

BTW all, there was another war movie that comes to mind that I quite liked: Enemy at the Gates. For one thing the way they depicted the city fighting in Stalingrad seemed realistic. For another, the fantastic actor Ed Harris was great as the icy-cold German sniper, and ditto with Bob Hoskins playing Commissar Nikita Khrushchev. My only complaint was that the romance in the film seemed silly and distracting. Still in all I felt it was a slightly underrated war movie, and certainly far better than the German film on the Battle of Stalingrad.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Trev - Unfortunately Netflix doesn't have the miniseries version of Das Boot. Oh well, guess I'll have to settle for the Director's Cut.
Buy the DVDs - they have replay value.

BTW all, there was another war movie that comes to mind that I quite liked: Enemy at the Gates. For one thing the way they depicted the city fighting in Stalingrad seemed realistic. For another, the fantastic actor Ed Harris was great as the icy-cold German sniper, and ditto with Bob Hoskins playing Commissar Nikita Khrushchev. My only complaint was that the romance in the film seemed silly and distracting. Still in all I felt it was a slightly underrated war movie, and certainly far better than the German film on the Battle of Stalingrad.
I love this one as well.

Last edited:

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well at least the romance involved Rachel Weisz.
Way, way overrated actress, and totally unbelievable for the part. I put her on par with the likes of Denise Richards in "World is Not Enough". lol