The best war movie ever made

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
You've liked it more overall, or due to some details (I've heard mixed opinions of Clooney's version)?
Music. Ambiance. Music. Pace. Really great performance from Clooney. Music. The supporting cast were all very good indeed.

Did I mention the music?

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Music. Ambiance. Music. Pace. Really great performance from Clooney. Music. The supporting cast were all very good indeed.

Did I mention the music?
(We weren't talking about Solaris originally, in case you missed that). I will say that Clooney's version was good, but doesn't compare in my mind :)

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
(We weren't talking about Solaris originally, in case you missed that). I will say that Clooney's version was good, but doesn't compare in my mind :)
Been a very long time since I watched the original. I'm bit-torrenting it as I speak.

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Been a very long time since I watched the original. I'm bit-torrenting it as I speak.
Cool. Even though OT, let us know what you think. Given the whole film, the reveal at the end is too amazing to put the remake above it in any way. Though, I do understand that some are put off by Tarkovsky's pacing (if you read his book and his philosophy of film, you may get a lot more out of it, though).

This reminds me: I actually got Solaris on BD just the other day, just haven't watched it yet. I did watch it again as of late last year, though.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Cool. Even though OT, let us know what you think. Given the whole film, the reveal at the end is too amazing to put the remake above it in any way. Though, I do understand that some are put off by Tarkovsky's pacing (if you read his book and his philosophy of film, you may get a lot more out of it, though).

This reminds me: I actually got Solaris on BD just the other day, just haven't watched it yet. I did watch it again as of late last year, though.
I have it and played the opening few minutes and... it's in colour! I could have sworn it was B&W when I watched it way back when. Perhaps we still only had black and white TV at the time.

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Kelly's Heroes. If I'm skimming channels to find ANYTHING worth watching on TV and come across KH, I stop and watch, no matter where it's at in the film.

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok, it's not the BEST, but for the genre it's in the top 10.

THE LOST BATTALION about a US unit cut off behind the German lines during WW1. They take the time to get the weapons and tactics right.

NOt best ever, but a good one, IMHO.

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just found this thread, so late to the party:

Pre WWI: Zulu. Watching the British Company performing parade ground manouvres while 6000 Zulu warriors were attacking send chills down my back every time i see it. Shows why Brits dont cower in ASL.:salute: Breaker Morant. An excellent account of the Boer War and the trial of three innocent officers to help end the war. Two of them were executed, one went to prison for a few years till the stink was over.

WWI: All Quiet on the Western Front. A classic anti-war film and to me a must see. Paths of Glory. Another anti-war film where innocent soldiers are tried for cowardice, while the Commanding general is a little off balance.

WWII:Lots to choose from here and hard to name just a few much less one. Patton. The Longest Day. Saving Private Ryan. Sands of Iwo Jima. Twelve O'clock High. Command Decision. I could name a lot more of my favorites, but wont.

Korea: Pork Chop Hill. Maybe IMO the best war movie ever.

Vietnam: Full Metal Jacket. Same producer/director did this as well as Paths of Glory.

Modern: Blackhawk Down. Very well done.

MWR

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow - I never realized Kubrick directed Paths of Glory. That's a great factoid. Thanks, horseshoe

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The best "not a war movie, war movie" is Best Year's of Our Lives made in 1946. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. It covers 3 vets coming home from WWII. One little factoid is that an actor in the movie is the only actor ever to win two Academy Awards for the same role.

conquerclub

Recruit
Reaction score
I Das Boot is beautiful war film ever made. Das Boot is an adaption of the 1973 German novel of the same name by Lothar-Günther Buchheim. Set during World War II, the film tells the fictional story of U-96 and its crew. It depicts both the excitement of battle and the tedium of the fruitless hunt, and shows the men serving aboard U-boats as ordinary individuals with a desire to do their best for their comrades and their country. The screenplay used an amalgamation of exploits from the real U-96, a Type VIIC-class U-boat commanded by Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock, one of Germany's top U-boat "tonnage aces" during the war.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I Das Boot is beautiful war film ever made. Das Boot is an adaption of the 1973 German novel of the same name by Lothar-Günther Buchheim. Set during World War II, the film tells the fictional story of U-96 and its crew. It depicts both the excitement of battle and the tedium of the fruitless hunt, and shows the men serving aboard U-boats as ordinary individuals with a desire to do their best for their comrades and their country. The screenplay used an amalgamation of exploits from the real U-96, a Type VIIC-class U-boat commanded by Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock, one of Germany's top U-boat "tonnage aces" during the war.
It is tremendous stuff. The TV series was shown here several times. The movie version isn't bad but really the mini series is worth the time. The tension on the boat when the British depth charges are being dropped is incredible.

I watched Sands of Iwo Jima for the fist time on Friday. Hasn't dated well.