The best tabletop wargames ever!

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Can you recommend what you feel is or are the best wargames ever? Apart from ASL of course. I'm thinking of expanding my game collection and would like some recommendations.

I recommend AD&D; but of course most of you will be very familiar with that. I've also bought the 5th edition D&D set, but have not played it yet.
Wargames ??

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just noticed that Turning Point Stalingrad is a Don Greenwood game.
I found this game to be a little disappointing, to be honest. Breakout out Normandy and Monty's gamble are far superior area move/impulse games.

Toby Pilling

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
"Look! I'm an elf ! I'm an elf !!" Lol
I'd certainly distinguish between board wargames and role-playing games - I enjoy both, but count them as different hobbies.
My other favourite board wargames are 'Hannibal' (a card driven game by GMT games) and the 'Down in Flames' WW2, tactical air-war series that same publisher produced. They are both fast, exciting and card based, which always gives plenty of different permutations.

mooreshawnm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Europa - Fire in the East/Scorched Earth....just....epic

The Third World War series (GDW) - I love the air, proficiency and hit system. Love it.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We had lots of fun with 4th edition 3rd Riech.

I Like the Scorched Earth/Fire in the East stuff (gotta fix the AA rules though)

Empires in Arms=epic

How about swords and spells? It's the wargame version of D&D. Btw, i love D&D. Gary Gykax was a genius.

I like the new 'block' games and card driven also. laberyinth ect.. They're kind of beer and pretzel .

Last edited:

heliodorus04

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hell's Highway by Victory Games (1983)
Operation Market Garden, operational-level game.
Solitaire Friendly (it's the only way I play it).

PROs: Small map footprint for an entire Market-Garden game.
Apporachable rules that are easy to learn and take practice to master
Pretty map (for 1983)
CONs: Counters are difficult to read and require clipping

I dig this game. Love it. I even bought after-market counters from Canada to replace the originals. I'll have to do an AAR someday.

If you don't know anything about Wargames, and you want a solitaire experience, I cannot recommend highly enough "D-Day at Omaha Beach" for introducing you to my hobby. It's currently out of print and expensive on e-bay, but it's worth buying (It's due for reprint in the next couple years). It's a little complicated for a beginner wargame, but you can work your way through the introductory small scenarios. The learning process is aided greatly by the intuitive understanding of what is to be accomplished to win.

Last edited:

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hell's Highway by Victory Games (1983)
Operation Market Garden, operational-level game.
Solitaire Friendly (it's the only way I play it).

PROs: Small map footprint for an entire Market-Garden game.
Apporachable rules that are easy to learn and take practice to master
Pretty map (for 1983)
CONs: Counters are difficult to read and require clipping

I dig this game. Love it. I even bought after-market counters from Canada to replace the originals. I'll have to do an AAR someday.

If you don't know anything about Wargames, and you want a solitaire experience, I cannot recommend highly enough "D-Day at Omaha Beach" for introducing you to my hobby. It's currently out of print and expensive on e-bay, but it's worth buying (It's due for reprint in the next couple years). It's a little complicated for a beginner wargame, but you can work your way through the introductory small scenarios. The learning process is aided greatly by the intuitive understanding of what is to be accomplished to win.
Had this back in 85/6, good solid game for its era, have seen a few on e-bay of late, and have been tempted to buy it again.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd certainly distinguish between board wargames and role-playing games - I enjoy both, but count them as different hobbies.
My other favourite board wargames are 'Hannibal' (a card driven game by GMT games) and the 'Down in Flames' WW2, tactical air-war series that same publisher produced. They are both fast, exciting and card based, which always gives plenty of different permutations.
Where might you place Magic Realm by TAHGC? This one is a lot of both in the same game.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
After a few scenario I have to add GMT games 'Downtown, Air war over Hanoi' this game is really fun, I can not sing it's praises enough, and now I received my hard copy (been playing VASSAL games for about 2 months) I am in the process of laying out D4 'Wheel of Hurt' again, love it.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Might say I'm a late comer but really want to throw in my 2 cents. I love the Clash of Arms La Bataille series. The rules, especially the latest editions are well done and easily understood, especially for a Napoleonics game. The maps and counters are glorious, and the games are fun. All my opinion of course. The Moscow and Dresde editions must be seen in person to really appreciate. Another game I would add would be Wings of War/Glory. The game is extremely easy to pick up, it doesn't cost a lot to get into, and it is a very fun game. We play it occasionally on family game night. It can play pretty fast with 2 planes per person.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
excepting ASL clearly.

PanzerBlitz (old skool).
Combat Commander (GMT Games).
Drang Nacht Osten (again old skool).
War in the East 41-45 (Avalon Hill).
War in the EAST SPI (1st Edition).
Streets of Stalingrad L2 version.
Fire on the Volga/Battle for the factories .
Rhino Games Campaign to Stalingrad.
Panzer & all it's add ons.
Korsun Pocket by People's war games, good 'Ost Front' Monster game

but as in all things it depends on the person, War in the East by SPI was I think the very first 'serious' war game I bought, followed by SL and soon after that ASL, GDW Europa was collected, and like all the rest chucked out! (I know major idiot),
But if a game excites you, it is doing it's job.

I always liked war in the east (SPI) Combat Commander is for what it is worth light fun, but very good IMHO.

Perry

P.S but ASL is without doubt, un-beatable.

i am going to have to change something, ASL is still very, very good, But I must now add the OCS series to the list, and put it up there on par with ASL.

Reactions: Abe

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Need to increase allies supply as well.
I've got an entire listing of house rules we implemented over time. I've played this CG 3 times all the way to the end. While supply was an issue in the beginning of the CG, that went away over time.

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm going to buy MMPs Day of Days. Is it similar?
The scale of the game is smaller. DoD only covers the first 7 days of the invasion, so you are really only looking at an area close to the beach. TLD and GMTs Battle for Normandy cover the Cotentin peninsula and down to Avranches and basically June through August in timeframe.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Up Front AH

VG Fleet Games, easy to learn, tense.

Grand Tactical Series from MMP. A company level game that really highlights terrain restrictions and command and control, superb.

Breakout Normandy

Last edited:

Abe

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Can you recommend what you feel is or are the best wargames ever? Apart from ASL of course. I'm thinking of expanding my game collection and would like some recommendations.

I recommend AD&D; but of course most of you will be very familiar with that. I've also bought the 5th edition D&D set, but have not played it yet.
Up Front - ASL the card game. Still my favourite.

Empire of the Sun (GMT) is also great - takes some learning though. Absolutely made for PBEM if you like that.

My next game system learning projects (along with ASL) are OCS (MMP) and Next War (GMT).

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I need to add Lock 'n Load Tactical to the list now, it is easy, yet it works, very well.

Abe

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Sekigahara is also a great little game. Packs an extraordinary amount of depth and replayability for just 7 pages of rules. My game of choice to introduce people to wargames.

I know Victory Game's Vietnam 1965-75 ranks among many people's 'best ever' - although I haven't played it. It does sound awesome.

Paths of Glory gets plenty of love also. But is also out of print.

It also kind of depends on what level you prefer as well. Strategic seems to be much more popular than operational and tactical and probably a greater diversity there.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I've really been enjoying MMP's Grand tactical Series over the last 12 months. Superb components, interesting chit pull mechanism. Small scenarios right up monster campaign games, for those with the time and space. The series really does highlight the terrain challenges a ta company level. Expensive, but worth every gaming penny.

Paul