The Best Space Movies of All Time

CJMello

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Duncan said:
Oh and let's not leave out The Day The Earth Stood Still.
I was thinking that too but most of the movie was in DC. Sam Jaffe was just not in enough films. A classic but by this standard we can add Howard Hawkes' "The Thing."

Starship Troopers book was better than the movie. Mayby a SciFi list would be better?

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CJMello said:
I was thinking that too but most of the movie was in DC. Sam Jaffe was just not in enough films. A classic but by this standard we can add Howard Hawkes' "The Thing."

Starship Troopers book was better than the movie. Mayby a SciFi list would be better?
Pfft. John Carpenter's The Thing.

The Doctor

Junk Science Debunker
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It! The Terror From Beyond Space was dissed too!!! Had the crew of the Nostromo only remembered this Marshall Thompson classic...they'd have opened an airlock the moment the Alien popped out of John Hurt's chest.

jayedub7423

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
i like blade runner, and i love the thing i own the collectors editon dvd, but i dont think these would be in the space movies catagory. sci-fi thriller suspense horror, yes.

i must be the only person who thinks Contact was a crappy movie. yes it had a ship in it, but wouldnt a space movie need to spend some time in space? that is why i wouldnt put blade runner and the thing in this catagory.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I recently rented the Ray Harryhausen collection through my dvd rental service, and one of the 5 movie set was Earth vs The Flying Saucers.
In spite of the name (which sounds flaky) I have to say, this film is actually much better than a lot of flashy modern films.

When you consider what the man had at his disposal to make this film, I think he did a much better job.

CJMello

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Overseer said:
Pfft. John Carpenter's The Thing.

Carpenter is a big fan of the original. He even placed it in his movie Halloween. Its playing on the TV inthe house that Jamie Lee Curtis is babysitting in.

The short story was good too.

1882 Carpenter version was good and also can be thought of for this list and it is closer to the book. Things they did were tough to pull off in the early 50's.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
As interesting as Logan's Run was, it wasn't a "Space" film.

jthomas

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Doctor Sinister said:
No, but Jenny Agutter was in it, so that makes everything OK again. :DDr. S.
Yah, I believe that was when I learned that girls sometimes wear see-through underwear. Very memorable.:smoke:
Ah, to be young again! Under 30, at any rate!:eek:
Sci-Fi great, yes. Space movie, no.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Aries said:
As interesting as Logan's Run was, it wasn't a "Space" film.
Yeah, but like Blade Runner, it falls into the category of Space Age society film.

But since there is a difference.

My Futuristic Society Picks:

1. Blade Runner
2. A.I.
3. Ghost in the Shell - I usually don't go for anime, but I liked this one. Good urban visuals.
4. Minority Report

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
pirateship1982 said:
Yeah, but like Blade Runner, it falls into the category of Space Age society film.

But since there is a difference.

My Futuristic Society Picks:

1. Blade Runner
2. A.I.
3. Ghost in the Shell - I usually don't go for anime, but I liked this one. Good urban visuals.
4. Minority Report
I too only like very select anime, but Ghost in the Shell is definitely one, I've been meaning to watch the sequel for about a month (a friend got it, and we've both been saying we'll watch it every weekend since and still haven't).

Of course the one thing that "bothered" me about the movie is the need to get naked every time she's going into combat! (yeah I know it was for the camo) :laugh:

CJMello

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Overseer said:
I too only like very select anime, but Ghost in the Shell is definitely one, I've been meaning to watch the sequel for about a month (a friend got it, and we've both been saying we'll watch it every weekend since and still haven't).

Of course the one thing that "bothered" me about the movie is the need to get naked every time she's going into combat! (yeah I know it was for the camo) :laugh:
Who gets naked. You or her?

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CJMello said:
Who gets naked. You or her?
:p Her. I don't think the people I've watched it with would have appreciated the other way around...

...at least I hope not considering the people I've watched it with... :OHNO:

Patrocles

Reaction score
unfortunately, unless we get our act together our future will be more in the vein of "Soylent Green."
:p

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Patrocles said:
unfortunately, unless we get our act together our future will be more in the vein of "Soylent Green."
:p

mmmmmmm people *drools*

Slug

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Teenagers from Outer Space is pretty cool.
Invaders from Mars still frightens me. It drives home my concerns regarding illegal immigration.

The Doctor

Junk Science Debunker
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Aries said:
I recently rented the Ray Harryhausen collection through my dvd rental service, and one of the 5 movie set was Earth vs The Flying Saucers.
In spite of the name (which sounds flaky) I have to say, this film is actually much better than a lot of flashy modern films.

When you consider what the man had at his disposal to make this film, I think he did a much better job.
Earth vs the Flying Saucers is a classic!!! 20 Million Miles to Earth is another Harryhausen space monster classic.