The Best Space Movies of All Time

Dano

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Contact???? No No NO

Aliens yes it should have been on the list.

Patrocles

Reaction score
Yes, 2001 should top the response.

weak poll!! Let's give every space movie a 4.2, eh??
:rolleyes:
Star Trek First Contact?! ugh! :mad:

yeah, it would have been nice to see Aliens on the list (imho this films definitely beat out Star Trek First Contact.

jthomas

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Spaceballs, anyone?:cheeky: John Candy and Rick Moranis rock! The hydrant in the corner of the Winnebago kills me!
Actually, I liked Contact, 1) because I like just about anything starring Jodi Foster, and 2) it breaks the "warp-drive/photon torpedoes/paceship" paradigm. That's kind of fresh. Whether it belongs in this list or not I'm not so sure.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Star Wars and Star Trek are their own seperate categories. 2001 was sorta interesting but seemed to be more music video than story.

Best Space Movies Besides Those:

Best Historical Epic: The Right Stuff

Best Space Action (Surface Warfare) - Aliens
Worst: Starship Troopers

Best Space Action (Starfighter Combat) - Battlestar Galactica (Remember this is excluding Star Wars)
Worst: Enemy Mine

Best Space Movie with Prolonged Visuals Accompanied by Music: 2001 (Star Trek I almost took it but, like I said, was it's own category.)

MountainMan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How could I have forgotten This Island Earth, first read as the book, and Dune, not to mention the others? Don't agree with the critics of Dune, an impossible book to translate well into film in anything under about 6 hours or so.

It is a pity that a little known but very, very good psychological novel about future warfare on Earth over oil never got much notice. Under Pressure, also published in book form as Dragon In the Sea (?) by Frank Herbert would make an outstanding movie.

Personally, I really liked Enemy Mine. Apparently, no one else did. I would place it on my list, anyway.

I also liked Sphere as an unusual psychological thriller, much like Solaris.

Starship Bloopers should never have even come out of the cutting room. What an insult to Heinlein's vision.

Alien broke new ground in eliminating the shiny-new-spaceship look so common to Star Wars, Star Trek and others. What you got instead was a working space vessel complete with rust spots, dings, paint chips and all the signs of actually being used by people, not to mention one of the great movie monsters of all time and a glowing tribute to Geiger, the artist.

Where would you put alien-based horror? I was thinking of The Puppet Masters, Predator and so forth.

How about Marooned? Space Cowboys? And didn't anybody else like Independence Day? War of the Worlds?

klatuu barada nikto...

The Doctor

Junk Science Debunker
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm with you on Enemy Mine, Space Cowboys & Marooned...Sphere? I loved the book and was disappointed in the movie.

Dune series? Maybe Peter Jackson could do it... in 3 parts, each 9 or 10 hours long. Very difficult to bring to the screen.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Enemy Mine good call.

Solaris was a sleeping pill movie. Good luck staying awake through this excrutiatingly dull movie.

Under Pressure? Hmm a Frank Herbert book I haven't heard of, that's shocking actually :)

Starship Troopers the film was only good for showing me that Dune wasn't the worst thing that could happen to a famous book. Starship Troopers 2 proved that most of the movie going public is incredible dumb (to have forgotten the first film).

Spaceballs deserves honorary mention just for being such a great tribute comedy :)

vyshka

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Where the hell was Spaceballs? How could they not vote for a movie that had a spacship with the bumper sticker 'I love Uranus' ? :laugh:

Anyone see the Sci Fi Channel's Dune? It would be interesting to see what Peter Jackson would do with the story.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
vyshka said:
Where the hell was Spaceballs? How could they not vote for a movie that had a spacship with the bumper sticker 'I love Uranus' ? :laugh:

Anyone see the Sci Fi Channel's Dune? It would be interesting to see what Peter Jackson would do with the story.
:laugh: I always drink coffee when I watch radar!

Rick Moranis was the perfect choice for Dark Helmet!

If the Sci-Fi one is the one I am thinking of, it was much better than the 1980s version of Dune, which sucked when it came to doing the book proper. I think it's out on DVD.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Doctor said:
I'm with you on Enemy Mine, Space Cowboys & Marooned...Sphere? I loved the book and was disappointed in the movie.

Dune series? Maybe Peter Jackson could do it... in 3 parts, each 9 or 10 hours long. Very difficult to bring to the screen.
I don't trust Peter Jackson anymore. I mean, we'll see for sure when King Kong comes out, but he's full enough of himself to take a 100 minute long original movie and make into over 180 minutes long... From what I gathered, the studio had no idea it was going to come this long, but he had enough clout (Oscars will do that) to push it through.

I just think he's forgotten it's possible to make a movie that's less than 3 hours long (and god knows, there'll probably be a special extended version of King Kong that's about 4 hours long). :laugh:

The Doctor

Junk Science Debunker
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The previews for Jackson's King Kong were the only part of Spielberg's War of the Worlds that I enjoyed... :cheeky:

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Doctor said:
The previews for Jackson's King Kong were the only part of Spielberg's War of the Worlds that I enjoyed... :cheeky:

Ugh. Don't get me started on that garbage. :laugh:

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Alien NO No No

ALien was OK yes it was kinda ahead of its time...but Aliens is by far the best of the series. The cast was phenominal, the action was intense plus Paul Reiser gets chewed up. :cheeky:

Who can forget all the great one liners in that movie. Funny Funny Funny.

"I don't want to rain on your parade pal but we just got our asses kicked" Hudson :eek: :cool:

CD

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
creeping death said:
ALien was OK yes it was kinda ahead of its time...but Aliens is by far the best of the series. The cast was phenominal, the action was intense plus Paul Reiser gets chewed up. :cheeky:

Who can forget all the great one liners in that movie. Funny Funny Funny.

"I don't want to rain on your parade pal but we just got our asses kicked" Hudson :eek: :cool:

CD
I actually don't like to compare the two to each other. They're both different types of movies. Alien was more of a thriller/horror movie. Aliens was more of an action film. I think both were superb for what they were going for (and I mean I've watched Aliens more than any other movie, it's one of those cases where I think I can literally say I've seen it about 100 times).

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I understand

You are correct Overseer, they are certainly two different films...Aliens actually has a lot of humorous moments, whereas Alien was just plain scary. That movie scared the crap out of me when i was a kid. I too have seen Aliens a hundred times, I love the extended cut with the two motion sensor pulse rifles...kinda scary as they start to run low on ammo. :surprise:

Great film...

CD

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
creeping death said:
You are correct Overseer, they are certainly two different films...Aliens actually has a lot of humorous moments, whereas Alien was just plain scary. That movie scared the crap out of me when i was a kid. I too have seen Aliens a hundred times, I love the extended cut with the two motion sensor pulse rifles...kinda scary as they start to run low on ammo. :surprise:

Great film...

CD

Yeahhh, the sentry guns were awesome!