The Best Space Movies of All Time

jayedub7423

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
since when has Contact been a space movie? nevermind the fact that it was crap. Aliens needs to be on that list man, not star trek first contact which is an ok movie.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Cool I have always liked cerebral over flash bang, so 2001 getting number 1 is cool.

Also like them choosing Contact. Best film ever to illustrate the fact that neither science nor religion can be prove some things (regardless of what either camp wants to say about that).

First film to leap to my mind when I saw the thread title, was Forbidden Planet.

Reaction score
Where's Forbidden Planet? Blade Runner only got a 3.8? Invaders from Mars (first version) was better than some of these top 10.

I'm guessing the people who voted for this list are under 35.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mike, good point on Blade Runner, that should have easily been in the top 3.

Duncan

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Not sure that Blade Runner qualifies as a 'space' movie. Great show though.

I really enjoyed Contact, the book and movie. It would be nice to see Silent Running on the list. Hey, how about The Fifth Element? That was great fun.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hmm, I suppose that's a valid point about Blade Runner. But it's a movie about a space faring society, and a very good movie at that, so I think it should have counted (besides apparently it was on the list and then qualified).

MountainMan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Apollo 13 was a documentary type of film - I don't rate it all all in the sci-fi category. I would place it somewhere else. Likewise The Right Stuff. Excellent films, but not appropriate comparison for films like Star Wars, Star Trek or Alien.

I agree with the poster who suggested The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Here are a few of my own suggestions for the list, not previously mentioned:

Independence Day
War of the Worlds
When Worlds Collide
Event Horizon
E.T.
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Outland (?) Sean Connery remake of High Noon
Sphere

The Abyss

Boonierat

Biệt Ðộng Quân
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I agree with 2001 as best space movie, would have thrown David Lynch's Dune in the mix too.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I am impressed when people even remember When World's Collide. One of my earliest scifi dvds.

I own ALL of the Dune novels, so clearly I have a fixation. And not one of the film
productions is worthy of being called "great" unless you apply the word "disappointment" to it.

Silent Running is a peculiar film. I liked it mainly for the social statement. But it was a hohum space film.

Close Encounters should have been on the list. It was a landmark movie.
The Day the Earth Stood Still as well was a significant film of it's time.

As some have mentioned, the list likely suffers from respondents just being to young to remember the early greats. That, and not having an arcade or console game tie in is probably a problem.

Event Horizon and Sphere were just weird movies mostly.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
2001 should indeed be #1. There is no other movie quite like it. While I did enjoy 2010, I didn't think it was able to capture what 2001 had.

Alien should be way higher on the list. A true classic. I would put Aliens in the top 20.

Close Encounters should be in there somewhere.

Anyone ever see a move called The Black Hole, from Disney? It had some cheesy partys, but was actually a very cool concept with fairly sophisticated special effects for its day. Cool movie, but I wouldn't rate it in the top 10.

Contact was an excellent book and movie. Carl died way too young. His non-fiction works are incredible.

I would love to see a Babylon 5 movie someday too.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Aries said:
I own ALL of the Dune novels, so clearly I have a fixation. And not one of the film productions is worthy of being called "great" unless you apply the word "disappointment" to it.
I liked the original better than the mini-series. The original was a disaster in some respects and they had major troubles throughout production, but it still had some cool moments. Not to mention it actually had some real actors in it.

The Doctor

Junk Science Debunker
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How could The Day the Earth Stood Still not be #1? I also second a vote for When World's Collide...There's not a George Pal movie on the list!!! And I'll second Iron Mike's vote for the original Invaders From Mars. Another classic that should be in any top ten: This Island Earth.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hmm funny Don, I was wondering if I should mention The Black Hole for more or less those reasons, but wasn't quite sure.

All the Babylon 5 movies exist on DVD actually.

About the first Dune film, yes it had real actors, pity it lacked a real director. Well at least one that had a clue.

They cut the first part out of the theater showing, the part that actually explains the whole damn movie, and they wonder why it flopped at the theater. Sometimes directors clearly demonstrate they can often only make a good film through good luck, rather than skill.