The best of the Schwerpunkt scenarios.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
When it comes to fast playing agressive tourney scenarios no one does it better than Schwerpunkt.

Which are the best ones out there? Which of the Schwerpunkt scenarios are must plays?

Looking down the list on ROAR I can see that Schwerpunkt get a lot of playings and that they are very well balanced. Is this what I should be looking out for; the most playings and the best balanced?

I need a break from my monster scenarios and doubled OB CG's....

What could be a better contrast than to play some fast, tourney scenarios?

Can you make some recommendations of the best of the Schwerpunkt scenarios?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
When it comes to fast playing agressive tourney scenarios no one does it better than Schwerpunkt.

...Is this what I should be looking out for; the most playings and the best balanced?
If you want "fast playing" and "aggressive" (which I take to mean lots of things dying very quickly), I'd recommend something with lots of open ground in it and not very many counters to start with. Look for Board 4, taking place in months that grain is not in season.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I liked the Ghurka series (Die, Ghurka, Die Burn, Ghurka, Burn and (?) Bleed, Ghurka, Bleed, though they are more infantry fights...SP does have a knack for those swirling combined arms scenarios (The Last Tiger, Pomeranian Tigers, Desantniki, von Bodenhausen's Ride, Jura Juggernaut...) that really force you play with a sense of urgency that is often absent from typical offerings.

The poor imitations of SP-style scenarios tend to try to force this urgency on players by shortening the scenario length and content of OBs, where SP has a full plate of goodies to play with.

burniefox

Doomsower
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Which are the best ones out there? Which of the Schwerpunkt scenarios are must plays?

Looking down the list on ROAR I can see that Schwerpunkt get a lot of playings and that they are very well balanced. Is this what I should be looking out for; the most playings and the best balanced?

I need a break from my monster scenarios and doubled OB CG's....

What could be a better contrast than to play some fast, tourney scenarios?

Can you make some recommendations of the best of the Schwerpunkt scenarios?

A few that I can recommend:

Pomeranian Tigers [SP11]
Desantniki [SP36]
Race for the Sarvis [SP88]
Burn Gurkha Burn! [SP95]
Twilight of the Reich [SP97]
Pesky Pachyderms [SP98]

B-

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Evan has been talking recently about releasing a "best of Schwerpunkt."

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I liked the Ghurka series (Die, Ghurka, Die Burn, Ghurka, Burn and (?) Bleed, Ghurka, Bleed, though they are more infantry fights...SP does have a knack for those swirling combined arms scenarios (The Last Tiger, Pomeranian Tigers, Desantniki, von Bodenhausen's Ride, Jura Juggernaut...) that really force you play with a sense of urgency that is often absent from typical offerings.

The poor imitations of SP-style scenarios tend to try to force this urgency on players by shortening the scenario length and content of OBs, where SP has a full plate of goodies to play with.
Excellent series of scenarios, love them!!

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Pomeranian Tigers [SP11]
Desantniki [SP36]
Burn Gurkha Burn! [SP95]
Pesky Pachyderms [SP98]

B-
Oh good only 7 more to go before I get to the first on the list!!!!

Honza, if you can wait about 15 years I am working my way through all the packs from SP1 till SPxxxx?

I have played through Rout Pack 3 and for the most part they were very good, often coming down to the last turn.

Cheers
Ian

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia

Pomeranian Tigers [SP11]
Desantniki [SP36]
Burn Gurkha Burn! [SP95]
Pesky Pachyderms [SP98]

B-
Thanks. What about some of the more recent ones?

Evan has been talking recently about releasing a "best of Schwerpunkt."
That sounds like a good idea.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
That sounds like a good idea.
Depending on how the selection is made and on how many of the scenarios you already own; a straight reprint would not be as interesting as a tweaking of the "best" based on user feedback, the way MMP has done with re-releases of older scenarios in reprinted modules. Coupled with an article describing the retooling process, it would definitely be interesting.

Jockster

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If I were to buy any third party scenario packs it would be "Schwerpunkt". They continually produce a quality product at fair market value. Good solid well balanced tourney sized scenarios. No BS, no filler. They seem to strive at doing one thing well, not ten things so-so.
There are other TPPs that I hold in high regard, but for straight scenario packs you can't beat them.

"Burn Gurkha Burn" is one of my all time favorites.

FanaticTW

World Famous in Maine
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, all the "__ -Gurkha- __" scenarios are awesome!

'Battle for St Cloud' was a hoot; 'McCown Encounter' is half-track heaven; and who can forget the classics 'Hornet of Cloville' and 'Duel at Reuler'

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yeah, all the "__ -Gurkha- __" scenarios are awesome!

'Battle for St Cloud' was a hoot; 'McCown Encounter' is half-track heaven; and who can forget the classics 'Hornet of Cloville' and 'Duel at Reuler'
Just played Duel at Reuler, now that was a quick fire game.

FanaticTW

World Famous in Maine
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just played Duel at Reuler, now that was a quick fire game.
Hand to god... at one of the ASLOKs I went to,, I played a guy, who was such a slow player that it took us 6 hours to get through three and a half turns of this little gem. But I love this game... I think I've played this one three other times each with an average playing of 2.5 hours

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SP115 The Five Pound Prize is one of my best designs. /every ASLer should play it at least one time.

Evan Sherry