The best I can say about EvE is that I tried.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Having become pretty well bored with Star Trek Online, two weeks ago I gave EvE a try, and I'm sorry to say that I absolutely hated it. Being a serious gaming and scifi fan, I wanted to love this game, I really did. After all, unlike STO, in EvE you can actually experience the rise and fall of player empires, which has to be cool in the extreme.

As it happened though, it was the most painful 3-4 hours of gaming I’ve ever experienced. It had the worst, mostly clunky and touch-fiddly UI I’ve ever seen, I found the tutorial confusing, and as some people have noted in other forums, Eve does indeed seem to have the most unhelpful and mean-spirited player/troll community it’s ever been my misfortune to experience (Hopefully none of the Game Squad EvE fans fall in to this category).

Also, the game gives you a lot of options for player character customization, and yet all anyone ever sees of you is a tiny postage stamp pic. What’s up with that? And speaking as a keyboard player, I found the music score to be amateurish and annoying. Finally, within five minutes of leaving the space dock I was accosted by someone trying to get me to sign up for some membership scam. Please!!!

Anyway, by the time I quit out of the game I was feeling ill and nauseous. It's possible that one of you EvE fans here could talk me in to trying it again, but my brief time with it was not what you would call a happy memory.

Last edited:

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
EVE is a tough place for everyone, but particularly for new players. The learning curve is steep and there are tons of "evil" people out there just waiting for the opportunity to take advantage of new players, robbing them, killing them, and feeding them misinformation just for kicks. This type of "griefing" if frowned on in other games but celebrated in EVE because it's part of the game's dark, adult culture of brutality.

Having said all that, EVE isn't quite as horrible as it might seem from the perspective of the new player. There are tons of corporations and alliances with helpful members who are fun to hang around with. The key thing to understand here is that these players are loyal to members of their own organization and generally hostile to everyone else. They've learned to be this way from long experience because everything in EVE is competitive and potentially deadly. Even trade and industry are fiercely contested, which means it can be very challenging for a lone character to accomplish much of anything because of the emphasis on teamwork. If a fleet of 3 is good a fleet of 300 is better.

Also understand that EVE players consider information a form of warfare as well, which explains the elitist, trollish nature of discussion on the official EVE forums. Those forums are a battleground where alliances and criminal gangs seek advantage by attempting to control and manipulate news, spread lies, spy on each other, and generally undermine everyone and everything that isn't part of the their own organization. Unlike other MMOs, this type of "meta-gaming" is considered the norm in EVE, which is why paranoia and draconian security precautions are commonplace among EVE's denizens.

But also understand the EVE forums and chat rooms aren't entirely representative of the community as a whole. While EVE certainly is a cold and brutal place, the forums are home to the worst of the worst, and the loudest and most obnoxious members of the community hold court there.

My advice is to seek out the aid and experience of EVE players here at GameSquad. They can help you join one of their corporations or form a new one geared to your own goals.

Personally, I have a love-hate relationship with EVE. I do like the serious nature of the gameplay and the fact that it is the anti-World of Warcraft. Death and defeat have serious consequences and everything is difficult and dangerous. On the flip side, those same strengths make the game a frustrating chore at times and the nature of the community can be more than I want to deal with. I play for a while and then take extended breaks, sometimes for six months or so. I don't like being told what to do by an alliance, so these days I either play with people of similar mindset or I operate alone.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow Don, what a nice and well thought-out reply. Another person might have trolled me. To be fair, there were some positive things I would say about my brief experience with EvE. First of all, I loved the dark and ambient Blade Runner-esque environment. Also, graphically the game is indeed very beautiful. On a related note, I really liked the look of the person I created, even more realistic looking than my STO character. Too bad the creator is the only person who ever sees it. Finally, I admit that it was late at night and I was tired when I tried EvE, and I'm sure that didn't help.

I may very well give it another go before long, although as you recommended, I will read the EvE beginner's guide I thought I saw here at Game Squad.

You know Don, I loved that EvE video where a low level skirmish with pirates, due to connecting alliances, escalated into a war of epic proportions. I was reminded of the events that sparked WW1. ;) Of course I wonder just how long a noob would have to grind and be humiliated and abused before he or she could take part in such a cool event?

One more thing. The EvE pundits say that the game is brutal like real-life. As someone noted on another forum though, if EvE were more like real life then a lot of EvE players would be getting thrown in jail or even banned. ;) Also, I read where one EvE player had two additional monitors for the sole purpose of watching the EvE financial markets. Wow! Some ppl must take that game very, very seriously, although IMHO it sounds like a case of the lunatics taking over the asylum.

As an aside, your Dr. Zaius avatar is way cool. I loved his rant to Chuck Heston in the second Planet of the Apes film about how mankind is useless and good for nothing but destruction! ;)

Last edited:

Chaim628

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
I can absolutely recommend Eve University as well!! Same goes for me, I might have left the game without the uni. And yes, once you graduate do join in nullsec :smoke:

Last edited:

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I like nullsec as well. But in all fairness it's difficult to recommend nullsec to everyone, especially beginners, because the reality of nullsec is far different than the concept. The truth is that most of the alliances and corporations that dominate nullsec are obsessed with killmails and treat members like servants or slaves. I won't be a part of any alliance with mandatory ops, and I don't give a damn what anyone thinks. I play for my own fun, on my time, on my schedule, and not for the sake of some pompous nerd leader who wants to try to tell me what I can do, what I can say, and how to play. No thanks.

I used to be a part of Majesta Empire and things were pretty chill for the most part. But new leadership took over and tried to force us into mandatory ops to support our glorious allies, and then the whole thing fell apart and we got stomped and lost our space. So now I eek out a lowly existence in low-sec, selling hot dogs on the side of the road and dodging the muggers. I might consider going back to null, but only if I can find a corp that lets me play the way I want, when I want. The minute they start treating me like a slave I'll yawn and fire up Sins of a Solar Empire.

SkaterMcgee

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dude, EVE Online is a mediocre game... I have to say it is one of the best of it's kind, but then again there aren't entirely too many of these kind of games when it comes to Space Simulation MMORPG... For me, I was initially drawn to it because of my love for Space, and the idea of flying and all that, I started playing it, I really digged the game, it was for me, but I think it was more of that draw because of the flying in space and beautiful "universe" that you were around... I spent maybe a total of 50 or 60 hours on the game, and it was the end of it... The pros about this game, EVE, is that it seems to have a more mature audience and people that play the game than some of the games that I love and play, like World of Warcraft, I hate most of the people that play the game that I meet, but there are very good people and you can make really really good friends on there too like I have over the past 7 years... Another good thing about EVE, it takes place in ****ing space, I mean come on... I suppose that is just not enough, the way the game was designed and all, just didn't draw me in, I would say my 15 dollars for the month I played was worth it in the sense that I can say "yeah, I have played a Space Simulation MMORPG, what about it?" Other than that, I would not play the game for free nor if someone paid me.

Chaim628

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
I like nullsec as well. But in all fairness it's difficult to recommend nullsec to everyone, especially beginners, because the reality of nullsec is far different than the concept. The truth is that most of the alliances and corporations that dominate nullsec are obsessed with killmails and treat members like servants or slaves. I won't be a part of any alliance with mandatory ops, and I don't give a damn what anyone thinks. I play for my own fun, on my time, on my schedule, and not for the sake of some pompous nerd leader who wants to try to tell me what I can do, what I can say, and how to play. No thanks.
Well then I heartly recommend our corp. We get evaluated on participation: fleet (there is an in-game app), killmails, trade you do with the corp (I sell POS fuels to corp), forum participation,... They all count and if you are flying logistics the killmail part is even forfeited. Leadership is very decent, mature and been around for ages. We do have our discussions but overall solid team.

I used to be a part of Majesta Empire and things were pretty chill for the most part. But new leadership took over and tried to force us into mandatory ops to support our glorious allies, and then the whole thing fell apart and we got stomped and lost our space. So now I eek out a lowly existence in low-sec, selling hot dogs on the side of the street and dodging the muggers. I might consider going back to null, but only if I can find a corp that lets me play the way I want, when want. The minute they start treating me like a slave I'll yawn and fire up Sins of a Solar Empire.
I remember Majesta well, you guys lived next door until the DRF onslaught a good year ago. I think your leadership was trying to take a stand against the assault. At start Majesta was not that present and our fleets in Vale got hampered by the empty jumpbridges etc. Not that it would have changed much, it was just an all or nothing who would show up with enough supers and nothing it was... anyway, we are not too far away now with Razor in Tenal.

Chaim628

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
Dude, EVE Online is a mediocre game... I have to say it is one of the best of it's kind, but then again there aren't entirely too many of these kind of games when it comes to Space Simulation MMORPG... For me, I was initially drawn to it because of my love for Space, and the idea of flying and all that, I started playing it, I really digged the game, it was for me, but I think it was more of that draw because of the flying in space and beautiful "universe" that you were around... I spent maybe a total of 50 or 60 hours on the game, and it was the end of it... The pros about this game, EVE, is that it seems to have a more mature audience and people that play the game than some of the games that I love and play, like World of Warcraft, I hate most of the people that play the game that I meet, but there are very good people and you can make really really good friends on there too like I have over the past 7 years... Another good thing about EVE, it takes place in ****ing space, I mean come on... I suppose that is just not enough, the way the game was designed and all, just didn't draw me in, I would say my 15 dollars for the month I played was worth it in the sense that I can say "yeah, I have played a Space Simulation MMORPG, what about it?" Other than that, I would not play the game for free nor if someone paid me.
That is a pretty harsh stand for a game you, after all, don't dislike that much :whist: It is not very clear to me what actually made you leave but we see 2 main issues: collaboration and challenge. If you are alone it is very tough. It's a complex game with incredible depth, so if left alone you get lost, fall in traps people set up for you and don't know what to do next. In addition there is protection in seize: people who know you will help and protect you and if you are flying around with a large group of you can stand up to a lot. Then there is the challenge: you need to learn a lot and it takes time and you will lose stuff on your journey. So you need to persist and be patient. You have hardly seen a first glimpse of the Eve universe, it's a pity.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think the problem I had with EvE was that mainly I was scared away by what I perceived as a very hostile and cutthroat player community like many have complained about in other forums. Also, in doing the combat tutorial, frankly I thought the ship combat in Star Trek Online was better. Having said that, I understand that I didn't play EvE long enough to really come to a valid judgement, and I may yet give it another go when I feel in the mood. However, having spent a lot of time with STO and a moderate amount of time with The Old Republic and being mostly disappointed with both, I don't think I'm quite yet ready to take another plunge into MMO's.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Dude, EVE Online is a mediocre game... it seems to have a more mature audience and people that play the game than some of the games that I love and play, like World of Warcraft.
A WoW player that hates EVE. That's hardly surprising. :bite:

It's well known that EVE and WoW are polar oppposites and there is very little mingling betweem the two types, because the type of player that enjoys one will generally hate the other. WoW is all about a more casual type of fun, fun without consequences, independant gameplay, consensual PvP, and a helpful community with a sense of shared enjoyment. EVE is a very different animal.

EVE Online vs Other MMOs: What you need to know

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OMG Chaim, that is too funny! :laugh: The EvE interview reminds me of something out of Douglas Adams.

BTW, I see that WoW went Free to Play. Hmmm. You know, the feeling I got from the FTP paradigm in Star Trek Online is that you basically pay to win.

Last edited:

SkaterMcgee

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A WoW player that hates EVE. That's hardly surprising. :bite:

It's well known that EVE and WoW are polar oppposites and there is very little mingling betweem the two types, because the type of player that enjoys one will generally hate the other. WoW is all about a more casual type of fun, fun without consequences, independant gameplay, consensual PvP, and a helpful community with a sense of shared enjoyment. EVE is a very different animal.

EVE Online vs Other MMOs: What you need to know
Come on Don, I didn't rate the game or even hint at me hating the game, cause I don't, I only spent awhile on the game... I was listing my experience, I know I have come nowhere close to seeing the game for everything that it is... And I am far from a WoW fanboy, so don't classify me in that group... See, I was attracted to the game for what it was on the outside, out of curiosity because I am interested in that genre of game in general, I had always been looking for one, with EVE, I thought I had found it, I am attracted to all genres of MMORPG not if you like this game you wont like the other, I don't care if it takes place in the Wild Wild West, or if it takes place in space, or if it takes place in a place such as Azeroth, like a lot of games, I will give any game a chance... EVE is not a horrible game, I am not hating, just putting down my experience.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Come on Don, I didn't rate the game or even hint at me hating the game, cause I don't, I only spent awhile on the game... I was listing my experience...
I was merely responding to you saying, "Dude, EVE Online is a mediocre game... I hate most of the people that play the game that I meet... I would not play the game for free nor if someone paid me." Sounded pretty straightforward to me.

Be that as it may, I wasn't bashing you. I've stated numerous times that I myself have a love-hate relationship with EVE, so there's nothing wrong with a little hate once in a while. There are times when I marvel at what CCP has been able to accomplish in EVE, and there are other times when I get so disgusted with the whole thing I don't play for a year. I guess I would say it's a great game and a terrible game all at the same time.

In the end, what draws me back to EVE is the nature of the open sandbox gameplay. To me, EVE proves what a huge asset the players can be when developers have the imagination and fortitude to make them an integral part of the gaming experience. Most MMOs go out of their way to shoehorn what ought to be an open gameplay experience with limitless possibilities into a linear grindfest where everyone is doing the same thing, in much the same way, over and over. That largely defeats the entire purpose of having a persistent online gameworld in the first place. In fact, a lot of so-called MMOs are nothing more than single-player games with a cooperative mode bolted on as an option. The only reason the developers went with the online format is so they could eliminate piracy and reap the benefits of subscription profit. There's very little "massively multiplayer" to them at all.

As far as EVE's players go, they're a source of both fascination and frustration for me. I like the dark nature of the EVE universe and that CCP encourages villainy at every turn. Danger lurks everywhere. But because of that and all the precautions you're forced to take, there are times when all the effort just seems more like work than fun. At times like that I just end up training a long skill and playing something else.

SkaterMcgee

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I said that I hate most of the people I meet in WoW, not in EVE try reading it again.... Yes i did say it was a mediocre game, but that is from my short experience, I didn't like the play of the game so I wouldn't play it just because it's free, same goes as if someone paid me...